My Canadian PAL

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

My Canadian PAL

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Friends,

I am pleased to inform you that I have finally received my Canadian PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) for both Un-Restricted and Restricted Firearms.

It is an exhilarating experience and I must thank Baljit and his wife Paramjit for their unstinting support and encouragement in my endeavor.

I also wish to thank my friends at IFG for their backing.

This is when I actually registered for the test and then applied for the PAL in Sept 2013.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... AL#p204738

I must mention here that this trip was partly to celebrate my taking the first step to becoming a firearms owner in Canada.

A couple of weeks ago, soon after returning from the thoroughly enjoyable trip to Minnesota, visiting xl_target, I decided purely on impulse, to make a ‘now or never’ effort.

I applied and paid for a two-day (8 Hrs / day) course for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). Passing these is mandatory to apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). With the CFSC one can own long guns; for the right to own handguns one needs to pass the CRFSC as well. I felt it prudent to get both done together; in for a penny…logic!

I am happy to report that I aced both the theory and practical tests with 98% and 100%
I had brought along with me the application form for the PAL which Baljit kindly helped me fill out this evening. I also had to attach a latest mug-shot which I got done today at the local Walmart. Once mailed with the requisite fee the application take about 73 days to get vetted and approved.

If anyone is interested in what the CFSC / CRFSC entail here is a link for the PDF version of the course books

http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/m ... Course.pdf

http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/m ... Course.pdf
For folks that are interested in the in the nuances of Canadian gun laws these videos by Civil Advantage are explained very simply. Very sincere and helpful information! I must add, that all the questions are not answered...but the regulations in certain areas are quite ambiguous. See for yourself... :(

[youtube][/youtube]

Now the race to collect and purchase begins... :lol:

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: My Canadian PAL

Post by AnandNair » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Congratulations, 8)
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Congrats CK.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Hearty congratulations, Kalyan!You must be thrilled.
ckkalyan wrote:Now the race to collect and purchase begins...

:wink: :cheers: :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:44 am

Congratulations CK,
You've passed a major hurdle in the process of owning firearms in Canada.

Now comes the fun part; you just have to start making out your list of what you would like to own. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 am

Congratulations Kalyan, I do understand from the video that a fire arm license can be suspended/ cancelled in the event of a license holder getting involved into any kind of criminal activity. As I understand in many part of the globe a license is cancelled after three traffic violations. Does this hold good in Canada as well.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 am

Congrats ckkalyan... :cheers:

Regards
Renjith

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Hearty Congrats Kalyan :D
Choose wisely & enjoy the pride of possesssion :cheers:
Briha

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Congrats CK.
Do we see you hunting with Baljit soon. :cheers:

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 am

AnandNair, kanwar76, Vikram, xl_target, farook, renjith747, brihacharan, prashantsingh

Thank you very much gentlemen for your felicitations :D
prashantsingh wrote:Congrats CK. Do we see you hunting with Baljit soon. :cheers:
That is another step but entirely achievable, not as time consuming as the PAL:

http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=608 Image

The Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) Program is British Columbia's Hunter Education Program. It is also a great program for anyone interested in outdoor recreation.

The CORE Program consists of a practical firearms handling test, and a written examination on all of the following subjects:

• Conservation
• Ethics
• Law and Regulations
• First Aid and Survival
• Firearm Safety
• Animal Identification
• Bird Identification
farook wrote:Congratulations Kalyan, I do understand from the video that a fire arm license can be suspended/ cancelled in the event of a license holder getting involved into any kind of criminal activity. As I understand in many part of the globe a license is cancelled after three traffic violations. Does this hold good in Canada as well.
I am not entirely sure if the PAL can be revoked for traffic violations but there are certain offences that warrant cancellation here:

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/document- ... revocation

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:51 am

Here is a recent video which brings to the fore the very serious responsibilities and huge sacrifices that a Canadian must consider while taking up the privilege of legal firearms ownership in the country.

[youtube][/youtube]

However to celebrate, I went out on Sat, a gloomy rainy day, to an indoor range in Port Coquitlam, about 35 km away and celebrated by blasting 50 rounds of 9mm out of a Sig Sauer P226 at an unoffending pistol target, completely decimating it...a very satisfying experience... :lol:

http://www.vancouvergunrange.ca/

Last edited by ckkalyan on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 am

CKK wrote: To celebrate, I went out on Sat, a gloomy rainy day, to an indoor range in Port Coquitlam, about 35 km away and celebrated by blasting 50 rounds of 9mm out of a Sig Sauer P226 at an unoffending pistol target, completely decimating it...a very satisfying experience...

> Atta Boy Kalyan :clap:
> Must've been a great feeling :D
Briha

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:38 pm

ckkalyan wrote:However to celebrate, I went out on Sat, a gloomy rainy day, to an indoor range in Port Coquitlam, about 35 km away and celebrated by blasting 50 rounds of 9mm out of a Sig Sauer P226 at an unoffending pistol target, completely decimating it...a very satisfying experience... :lol:

:clap:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Great News Dada ... :D :D

Heartiest Congratulations. And, after going through the strict Canadians laws that you have posted, wising a few more returns of the day :D :D

Well, have you prepared your shortlist ? I am sure Baljit is going to be of immense help here as well :D

TC

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Dear CKKALYAN
Over the years I have read all your posts in this portal. My conclusion is that you are jolly good fellow.As a responsible gun owner I am sure that you will enjoy your odyssey with gun ownership in years to come to the long sunset.
Regards