Range Safety Officer

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Range Safety Officer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:56 am

This morning my friend Liang and I went to http://www.driveatank.com/.
Well, it was Sunday and all the tanks were locked up inside but they do have an indoor range and a conference room.

We walked around their grounds but the only thing we found were a couple of Hummers.
One was done up like a gun-truck with a Browning .50 mounted in the turret. The other one mounted an M60 in the back.

Liang

Me. The Sand colored one is street legal with Minnesota plates.

We had signed up for a class that was being held here.
After a long day in the facility, we both emerged as newly minted NRA certified Range Safety Officers.

The RSO patch.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Range Safety Officer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 am

xl_target wrote:
After a long day in the facility, we both emerged as newly minted NRA certified Range Safety Officers

> Hearty Congratulations :clap:
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:20 am

Congrats, XL!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

pradeep.kumar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pradeep.kumar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Congrats XL on becoming Range safety officer!!
Regards,
Pradeep

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Hearty Congratulations to the newly minted, NRA certified Range Safety Officers!

Nice Hummers! :D

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:34 pm

@xl_target Did you get a chance to fire the 50 cal on the hummer?
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:21 pm

briha, Pradeep, CK and spin_drift,
Thanks.

Spin_drift,
Unfortunately, they were closed for the day and I never got to shoot anything at that location.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 am

Hi XL..congrats on your new experience. Must be feeling proud of yourself after this safety course. The armored vehicle just look sturdy. I have seen these vehicles on a TV show where US troops were patrolling behind enemy lines. I like the names and historical references of the tanks shown,specially the German Tiger(So sophisticated they wired it with an internal self-destruct in the event of enemy capture)..etc etc..sounds lethal. Thanks for sharing the page.

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:51 am

That's great Xl - Good on you for doing this and congratulations. I would highly recommend this certification. In fact all firearm owners should actually invest in this course at some stage. It helps so much especially in terms being aware of things that sometimes are hard to realize unless pointed out !

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:18 am

Good show, XL. I'm sure that there were some interesting things you learned along the way, and it is something that supports responsible gun use!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Zaheer, Oggie and Tim,
Thanks.

Tim,
We had some deficiencies at our club's pin shooting events (not that it hasn't been safe), which had been managed for years by some of the older guys.
Now that we are taking it over, we wanted to make it as safe as we could. There were six people from our club who took this course.
We implemented it yesterday for the first time. Things worked well but we need to speed things up a bit. Some of the procedures interrupted the flow of events.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:09 am

Hey XL, if I jog my memory from IFG meet ***ahem ahem**** leaves have finally fallen right where the tree stands :oops:

Congrats and welcome to NRA !!!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:12 am

HaHa Haji!
You're correct, as usual.
Thanks.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:13 am

Congratulations to you and your friend,XL. I was hoping to see a range report of that .50BMG. :wink: :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Vikram wrote:Congratulations to you and your friend,XL. I was hoping to see a range report of that .50BMG. :wink: :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
Thanks Vikram.

As far as the .50 cal goes, I can only hope to do that someday.
When I had a chance to shoot some machine guns, I specifically asked to shoot a Ma-Deuce.
I was told that the berm would not handle the .50 rounds and that they would eventually chew through the huge mound of dirt causing issues for everyone.
I was offered the choice of M249 or M60 or M1919 but not the M2 Browning MG.

One day.......