Can we all hope for better guns?

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Can we all hope for better guns?

Post by hvj1 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:41 pm

Friends,

IFG is known to be an apolitical forum and as such, views and opinions on political happenings in the country are a definite No. No. Having said that, this post will adhere to the sagacious policy followed at IFG.

This country has seen a tumultuous election which has witnessed one single party coming to power with complete majority. The leader of said party, has articulated his views on Defence Sector procurements, the gist of his views are, that India has in the past spend a lot of money in imports of defence equipment ( In fact India is the third largest importer in the world) and it is time that the defence sector be thrown up to the private sector and self sufficiency be attained gradually.

Now this what I find relevant to all arms lovers in India, which incidentally IFG represents;

Presently the major defence equipment is produced either by the Indian Ordinance or the much loved Ichhapore Small Arms factory. :lol: The last govt. had even floated the very same concept, for which there is a queue of the nations top private industry players - L&T and Tatas being a few...( please correct me if Iam wrong)

Obviously we do not have the cutting edge technology, but it is expected that most of the interested industry players would probably tie up with the best in the world for joint manufacturing here in India. Considering that labour in India is plentiful and cheaper as compared to the same skills pool elsewhere (except China).

Frankly I am not interested in the tie ups with the Lockheed Martins or the Apache Helicopters (just speculating) Like most of you out there, I am very keen on the small arms and ammunition - Now in case the govt. does allow tie ups and we have tie ups with Beretta and Ruger and Kimber or Kricko or SAKO... (heck this is almost getting to be orgasmic), I wonder like Alice in Wonderland or hvj1 in lalaland, if the future production could be made available to natives. In the likelihood of above mentioned scenario unfolding, then I will really believe the Party line - Good days are here...
Your thoughts on the above gentlemen.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Can we all hope for better guns?

Post by TwoRivers » Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Krico, for one, has been out of manufacturing guns for quite some time. Sako is owned by Beretta.

subodh22
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by subodh22 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:08 am

oh yeah they are coming wait and watch the magic after he becomes PM

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat May 17, 2014 3:47 am

I thinks poltcs is banned on forum except RKBA.
our dear leader who was fighting for gun rights mr.naveen jindal sadly have lost his seat of M.P from kurukshestra due to some under table votings.only hope is from L.K advani who will become speaker of loksabha :cheers:

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:51 am

TwoRivers wrote:Krico, for one, has been out of manufacturing guns for quite some time. Sako is owned by Beretta.
Thanks TwoRivers for shedding light on the above.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:59 am

ashokgodara wrote:I thinks poltcs is banned on forum except RKBA.
our dear leader who was fighting for gun rights mr.naveen jindal sadly have lost his seat of M.P from kurukshestra due to some under table votings.only hope is from L.K advani who will become speaker of loksabha :cheers:
Thanks Ashokgodara,
In case the topic is considered to be political, then I request the moderators to edit or delete the same.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Hemant,we can still HOPE.At least thats better then ICCHAPORE.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:05 pm

With the number of Criminal coming in this parliament. I really have no hope.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 2:24 pm

> Can We Hope for Better Guns?
> Yes! Why not :D
> If only manufacturing armaments goes into private hands, which would spur competition & bring about quality world-class products....
> This could happen if only 'pen pusher' bureaucrats turn to "pellet pushers" ROTFL
> Agree with hvj1 that our country has enough skilled manpower - all it needs is a sports minded visionary at the helm who can start the wheels turning...
Briha

bandukbhandar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by bandukbhandar » Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 pm

There isn't any restriction on present private manufacturers of shotguns in India, to modernize themselves or go into collaborations.

There total manufacturing quota per year for shot guns is well above 10,000 guns per annum, this is more than sufficient incentive for them to modernize their factories.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:42 pm

bandukbhandar wrote:There isn't any restriction on present private manufacturers of shotguns in India, to modernize themselves or go into collaborations.

There total manufacturing quota per year for shot guns is well above 10,000 guns per annum, this is more than sufficient incentive for them to modernize their factories.
10000 guns per annum? :shock: If any one of us here on IFG were to be the privileged owners I am quite sure they would have gone for a total revamp of their products via the collaborative route as suggested by bandukbhandar. Maybe the costs associated with such an endeavour may not justify the additional revenue generated. In any case, where would be the incentive, when people queue up for the crap that they dish out, in context of the absence of quality products.

So in a way, the Indian 12 bore manufacturers suffer from the same malaise as the ICCHHA POOR factory.

Now if the govt.were to revive the economy, they could do three things;
FIRST: Open up the small arms sector to the private sector.
SECOND: Relax the arms licence regime; this would result in a huge captive market which would could easily make all such new projects not only viable but catapult them into the realm of lucrative.
THIRD: No more imports of firearms for the Military and Paramilitary.

The most important fallouts would be as follows;
1. Huge number of jobs created in the manufacturing and marketing of the same.
2. Reduce dependency on imports, thereby save foreign exchange.
3. Quality products for our military and paramilitary services.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:45 pm

kanwar76 wrote:With the number of Criminal coming in this parliament. I really have no hope.
I sincerely hope that this govt. implements the Supreme Court ruling on this issue.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 pm

While collectively Indian shotgun manufacturers produce 10,000 guns, their individual quotas are very small which just do not make financial sense to invest in CNC machines,etc.
ICCHHA POOR factory
Good one!
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Friends
1. Are you aware that the Khadki Ammunition Factory produces the .22 L.R. on machines manufactured by ELEY?
2. Are you aware that India's first attempt at manufacturing its own MBT (Main Battle Tank) back in 1971 was the failed Vijayanta?
3. Are you aware that it took almost 20+ years to develop the new MBT- Arjun, which has its own share of problems?
4. Are you aware that it once again took more than 20+ years to develop the LCA, the Nuclear Submarine, and the present INSAS rifle?
5. And could anyone point out the merits of DRDO, which is the name of the Indian Dinosaurous?
6. And while we are talking about the defence ratna's, can we also mention the great HAL .

Dont you think it is a great Indian Paradox, when we have one Govt. institution, Namely the ISRO, which should be lauded for its commendable achievements while on the other hand we have those mentioned above?

My simple wishlist is as follows;

1. SELL the non-performers to the Private agencies.
2. Connect the IITs and Institute of Design to the new entities in such a way, that the best brains in the country get an opportunity to work along with the private defence sector through their final year design projects. Thus successful designs and innovation developers get a direct entry into the private defence sector on graduation.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 am

hvj1 wrote: Friends
Dont you think it is a great Indian Paradox, when we have one Govt. institution, Namely the ISRO, which should be lauded for its commendable achievements while on the other hand we have those mentioned above?

My simple wishlist is as follows;
1. SELL the non-performers to the Private agencies.
2. Connect the IITs and Institute of Design to the new entities in such a way, that the best brains in the country get an opportunity to work along with the private defence sector through their final year design projects. Thus successful designs and innovation developers get a direct entry into the private defense sector on graduation.
> Well said hvj1 :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
> We all know the reasons for our failure - I would like to go on...but shall hold my peace :roll:
> Today we have the talent, energy, enthusiasm & the willingness, all lying dormant...all we need is the 'spark' to ignite it to combustion!!!!
Briha