IMPORTANCE of “LENGTH of PULL”

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 pm

The traditional method of measuring the correct length of pull on a rifle is by resting the butt on the crook of your arm while the trigger is supposed to come about halfway up your index finger.

However a better way to find the right length of pull is to shoulder the rifle and see how easily your trigger finger finds the trigger blade while your hand comfortably holds the pistol grip.

See the image below – courtesy www.pyramydair.com/blog/tag/length-of-pull/‎

The length of pull is a measurement from the face of the trigger to the end of the butt stock. Most factory rifles and shotguns have a length of pull between 131/2 to 133/4 inches. This dimension works well for most western adult shooters, but will tend to be a tad long for the Asian shooter.

Here is a quick way to check the length of pull of your stock. Extend your shooting arm out, rest your trigger finger against the face of the trigger & bend your arm to ninety degrees. If the butt plate rests comfortably in the bend of your elbow, you’re good to go.

If the stock is too long you won’t be able to bend your arm to 90 degrees. If you can bend your arm, but there is a gap greater than an inch, then the stock is too short. These differences can affect one’s shooting…

1.Discomfort while shooting leading to improper sight alignment
2.Inaccuracy in shot placement

If one is shooting a scoped rifle the length of pull will affect the eye relief from the scope.

1.Too short a length of pull and you have the risk of the scope hitting you in the eye brow.
2.Too long the length of pull & you have the problem of sighting your target through the scope.

So make sure that the ‘Length of Pull’ in your fire-arm or air-rifle is of the right size to help you enjoy your shooting & also get accurate shot placement.

HAPPY SHOOTING!!!
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: IMPORTANCE of “LENGTH of PULL”

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 pm

I would also add that a smaller/bigger grip than required will throw off your perception of length of pull
To Excellence through Diligence.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IMPORTANCE of “LENGTH of PULL”

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

Safarigent wrote:I would also add that a smaller/bigger grip than required will throw off your perception of length of pull
> While "Grip" smaller or bigger to suit the palm size may throw off 'my' :roll: perception of length of pull - the fact remains of the varying length of one's arm from the crook of the elbow to the curled index finger that embraces the trigger :D
> I have experienced this myself by sawing off 15mm from the butt end prior to fixing the butt pad. The comfort level in holding the weapon is enhanced + helped in better sight alignment (for me)!
Briha