Query reg. Import of scope via luggage route

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Query reg. Import of scope via luggage route

Post by Kumarnishith » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:47 pm

One of friend will be visiting me from U.S. In couple of weeks. I am planning to ask him to get me a Air gun rated scope from amazon.com. I have zeroed on Barska 3-12X40AO scope. While surfing through the web page I came across following information:

"It appears this item is restricted for export by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR, Parts 120-130) or the Department of Commerce under the Bureau of Industry (BIS) and Security Export Administration Regulations, EAR (15 CFR, Parts 730-774). ITAR restricted items require an export license granted from the DOS Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) prior to export. EAR restricted items may or may not require a license, depending on the end user and the ultimate country of destination."

Well my query to experienced members is:

Can my friend carry this scope in luggage all the way from U.S. Of A to India without inviting any trouble?

-Nishith

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Query reg. Import of scope via luggage route

Post by Rijo Joseph » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 am

Once i tried this and i lost one scope and the guy who brought need to pay a 200USD fine, and i do payed him..the agency created the problem was US border protection and customs..they are crazy..from UK u can bring the scope that is having 4x mag max.
Sometimes if you want to get rid of the gun, you have to pick the gun up.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Nishith - not sure if the article you are referring to is specific to the scope that you are planning to get.
I have personally carried scopes thru and it was not a problem. Also i have had friends carry them and it wasnt an issue at all.
You can carry the scope - keep a copy of the bill with you in case it is required.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Sniper,

Nice to hear that you comfortably carried scopes from USA without any hassles. I was looking at different scopes on www.amazon.com & www.ebay.com... In fact budget Air gun rated scopes like that made by BSA, Barska etc. But if you order any scope from amazon.com it shows the above mentioned "warning"..So that's the confusion...I understand import via luggage route is kinda risky...there's chances of import duties being levied/possible confiscation/fine etc..most of the online stores (amazon.com, optical planet.com etc) are not willing to send scope to India..I know import of scope is not entirely banned but restricted in India. So how does these scopes gain entry in the Indian market?

-Nishith

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi,
No idea how they are coming in.
I did see some in ebay.co.in maybe you can pick one off there or someone here might have some to pass on.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Ok...What's your take on scopes that are up for sale on sites like aliexpress.com, dx.com & ebay.com? They offer free shipping..I know these are made in China...I had read somewhere that few guys had bought couple of scopes from above mentioned sites without any hassles..Are these scopes VFM??

Few examples:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BSA-Esse ... 13730.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Diana-4x ... 43755.html

-Nishith

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Generally if a person brings say a single scope in his luggage the chances of it getting confiscated is very less, people are and have been bringing rifle scopes from overseas. I just think it's more a matter of chance than legality issues. I think the export restriction which you have stated is shipping it directly online or rather than bringing. If a person bound to India from US is stopped by US customs regarding the scope the person can say it's for personal use or may be a gift should not be problem. I would sincerely suggest you should take chances by bringing it in if the person bringing in is confident infront of custom officials then I guess it would pass through smoothly.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!