Late Diwali Or Very Early Christmas

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Late Diwali Or Very Early Christmas

Post by BowMan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Been hanging out at the Brownells a lot lately. Take a look at what the postman dropped home...

I plan to post detailed reviews as an when I finish using the products. Till then some pictures...

Here are a pair of Arhends Tactical Revolver Grips, J. Dewey Pistol Rod, Carlsons .22 snap caps, a pair of HKS Speedloaders...
photo 2.JPG
photo 1 (2).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 3 (2).JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Late Diwali Or Very Early Christmas

Post by BowMan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Also a bore guide, some patches and lots of bore brushes for rifles and pistols...
photo 5.JPG
photo 4 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi Bowman,
> It doesn't matter whether it's a Late Diwali or Very Early Christmas :D
> The stuff you got there "Calls for Celebrations" :lol:
> Liked the revolver grips .... classy :D
:cheers:
Briha

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks for you kind words Brihaji, indeed I am enjoying the sight after neatly laying down all these things on the table.

I always felt the Smith & Wesson Magna grips looked extremely classy but they were never very comfortable in my hands no matter how i tried to alter my grip. They seemed to be rather thick towards the butt end and very thin at the frame end. Also the factory checkering is cut deep and looks good but I would personally rather prefer a bit shallower checkering for no checkering at all. After some time at the range the checkering seems to dig in and make shooting a wee bit uncomfortable. It's not much but definitely not the most comfortable gripping surface. Finally I decided I will take off my matching numbered grips and hunt for something more comfortable.

While there were many rubber grips available like Hogue and Pachmayr to name a few, I could not somehow get beyond the cringe that the sight of a rubber revolver gives me. There were other issues like the rubber trapping palm sweat and corroding revolver frames (have any members had such an experience?) and I totally disliked the Hogue retention stirrup design which is a known rusting spot.

Finally I stumbled on Ahrends and they seemed to have a reputation for good workmanship and quality and more importantly these ones (Ahrends Tactical Square Butt Smooth) seemed to have a strong reputation for feel. Actually Ahrends has two lines, the retro and the tactical. Retro being close copies of the original Smith & Wesson design and the Tactical being designer a bit more towards comfort rather than originality.

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/

I plan to soon put them on my gun and see how it goes...

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi BowMan,
> Oh! I was a bit disappointed that the "Classy" S&W grips did not quite suit your hold....
> If its only the thickness towards the end & the checkering being a bit too deep - Why not have them sanded carefully to suit your grip - may be it could work - just my suggestion :D
> BTW - rubber grip could get a bit sticky in humid conditions (but suitable for European climate) - again my feeling...
> Incidentally there is a firm in Punjab called Gun Accessory who deal in Pistol / Revolver grips & other gun related products...
you may contact them or access their website....

* Tel: 919988285859 / 09815081823
* [email protected]
* Address: 4 Cooper rd., Amritsar, Punjab 143001
> I had ordered a rubber cheek rest from them long ago & they were very prompt in their service.
Good Luck!
Briha

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi those are lovely grips you got there mate looks like well done... please put up some pics after installation...

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 pm

by the way a quick question can i buy a spring kit for my walther ppk online and ship it india...

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Bowman, I knew you would soon be going for some great accessories and grips for the Smith :wink:
BTW I hope you checked whether the snap caps you got are meant for dry firing and are are not dummies meant to practice loading, reloading, ejection etc.
I am asking because snap caps meant for dry firing centre fire firearms and shotguns come with a spring loaded centre piece ( the primer i.e.) that depresses when hit by the firing pin and come back under spring pressure. However in case of .22s I doubt whether all snap caps come with spring loaded or alternatively the soft metal rims with limited life. A certain American brand I was just about to buy to dry fire my new acquisition ( :wink: ) had a solid metal rim on which the firing pin would only hit hard and possibly get damaged. On reading the fine print on the package I found it was not meant for dry firing.

Cheers... Happy late Diwali and early Christmas

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:04 am

TC wrote:Hi Bowman, I knew you would soon be going for some great accessories and grips for the Smith :wink:
BTW I hope you checked whether the snap caps you got are meant for dry firing and are are not dummies meant to practice loading, reloading, ejection etc.
I am asking because snap caps meant for dry firing centre fire firearms and shotguns come with a spring loaded centre piece ( the primer i.e.) that depresses when hit by the firing pin and come back under spring pressure. However in case of .22s I doubt whether all snap caps come with spring loaded or alternatively the soft metal rims with limited life. A certain American brand I was just about to buy to dry fire my new acquisition ( :wink: ) had a solid metal rim on which the firing pin would only hit hard and possibly get damaged.
On reading the fine print on the package I found it was not meant for dry firing.
TC
On reading the fine print on the package I found it was not meant for dry firing.
> Now we all only too well know "The Escape Clause" is always in the fine print which most of us seem to ignore :P
Briha

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:26 pm

brihacharan wrote:> If its only the thickness towards the end & the checkering being a bit too deep - Why not have them sanded carefully to suit your grip - may be it could work - just my suggestion :D
> BTW - rubber grip could get a bit sticky in humid conditions (but suitable for European climate) - again my feeling...
> Incidentally there is a firm in Punjab called Gun Accessory who deal in Pistol / Revolver grips & other gun related products...
you may contact them or access their website....

* Tel: 919988285859 / 09815081823
* [email protected]
* Address: 4 Cooper rd., Amritsar, Punjab 143001
> I had ordered a rubber cheek rest from them long ago & they were very prompt in their service.
Good Luck!
Briha
I would have tried to go that route but the grips are numbered to the gun so did not want to mess with them at all. I have carefully taken them off and placed them in a sealed air tight plastic bag with some silica gel....

Thanks for sharing the supplier address, I hope to try them out the next time opportunity arises... :D
surajshuresh wrote:Hi those are lovely grips you got there mate looks like well done... please put up some pics after installation...
Thanks mate that that is exactly the plan...
surajshuresh wrote:by the way a quick question can i buy a spring kit for my walther ppk online and ship it india...
I think this should be ok if you have a shooting club membership but not always totally hassle free...
TC wrote:Hi Bowman, I knew you would soon be going for some great accessories and grips for the Smith :wink:
I am asking because snap caps meant for dry firing centre fire firearms and shotguns come with a spring loaded centre piece ( the primer i.e.) that depresses when hit by the firing pin and come back under spring pressure. However in case of .22s I doubt whether all snap caps come with spring loaded or alternatively the soft metal rims with limited life. A certain American brand I was just about to buy to dry fire my new acquisition ( :wink: ) had a solid metal rim on which the firing pin would only hit hard and possibly get damaged. On reading the fine print on the package I found it was not meant for dry firing.

TC
You gotta dress her up a bit... :wink:

I think the principle is as you say, aluminium or some other malleable alloy that can take a limited number of dry fires and them it has to be discarded. Let me check the fine print and post some pictures....