What gun killed Osama Bin Laden

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

What gun killed Osama Bin Laden

Post by Lanceman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:43 pm

This is an interesting question, read the link below to see if something comes of it. The book "No Easy Day" gives further insights into this really complex matter.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001345432
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What gun killed Osama Bin Laden

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm

A gun killed Osama Bin Laden??

I thought it was a member of the SEAL team who killed him...with a rifle.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Winnie though maybe you are right on both counts, remember that in this blurred world things are not as simple.....
It's a sub-machine gun but its rifled, it is a tank gun even though it is rifled, machine guns are rifled and so on....
We have all been, incorrectly I feel, conditioned by Leon Uris' Battle cry.... "This is my rifle this is my gun......."
Semantics apart enjoy the article if you will....

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:A gun killed Osama Bin Laden??

ROTFL

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 pm

If 20 of the 24 carried the Mk18 then it is very likely the Mk18.

Operators with the sniper rifles would be securing the perimeter and would not be part of the assault force.
Of course one will not know for a long time, what actually happened but if you want to believe then read on below from the shooter himself. I also read below on the internet that the operator who took the shot did one tour of duty after the OBL mission and is now out of the US Navy and is coming to terms with the civvy life of paying for expenses and various insurance.

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who ... laden-0313

While on the subject of SEALs, the movie "Act of Valour" is worth many watches as it shows the SEALs in action. Seems from the credits that real SEAL operators acted in the movie.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 pm

That is a lovely article. BTW, our soldiers suffer a similar fate, even battle casualties. It is sad.do read the book "no easy day" gives more detail of the build up to the raid. Then watch the movie.

Here is an extract from NED, interesting that he mentions a H&K 416 assault rifle..... Guess we'll not know the truth for a while.
Extract:

Sitting on my bed, I started to get dressed. Nothing I did from the moment I started putting on my pants was random.
Every step was carefully planned.
Every check was a way t o focus and make sure I didn’t forget anyt hing. These were the same steps Idid before every mission.
Before I slid my pant s on, I rechecked each pocket on my uniform.
In one cargo pocket, I had my assault gloves and leather mitts for fast-roping. The other cargo pocket had an assortment of extra batteries, an energy gel, and two power bars. My right ankle pocket had an ext ra t ourniquet and my left one had rubber gloves and my SSE kit .
In a pocket on my left shoulder, I felt the $200 cash I’d use if we got compromised and I needed t o buy a ride or bribe someone. Evasion t akes money, and few t hings work bet t er t han American cash. My camera, a digital Olympus point-and-shoot, was in my right shoulder pocket . Running along t he back of my belt , I had a Daniel Winkler fixed blade knife.
I tucked my shirt in and picked up my kit and inspected it again. The ceramic plates covered my vital organs in the front and back. I had two radios mounted on either side of the front plate. Between the radios, I carried three magazines for my H&K 416 assault rifle and one baseball-size fragmentation hand grenade. I also had several chemical lights rigged to the front of my vest, including the infrared version that can only be seen using night vision. We’d crack the plastic lights and throw them in front of rooms and areas that we had cleared. The lights were invisible to the naked eye, but my teammates could see them through their night vision and know what areas were secure.
My bolt cutters rode in a pouch on my back, with the two handles sticking a little ways above my shoulder. At t ached t o my vest were t he t wo ant ennas for t he radios.
Running my hands over my kit, I tugged on the breaching charge I rubber-banded to the back of it. I next focused on my helmet. It weighed less than ten pounds with the night vision goggles attached. It could officially stop a nine-millimeter round, but in the past the helmets had stopped AK-47 bullets. I switched on the light attached to the rail system that runs down the side of the helmet. It was a brand-new Princeton Tec charge light. I’d used it in my last deployment .
I set the helmet on my head and pulled down my night vision goggles, or NVGs. Unlike some of the conventional units, we had NVGs with four tubes instead of the usual two. This allowed us a field of view of 120 degrees instead of just 40 degrees. The standard goggles were like looking through toilet-paper tubes. Our NVGs allowed us to clear corners more easily and gave us greater situational awareness. Switching on the $65,000 goggles, my room was bathed in a green hue.With a few adjustments,Icould see the furniture in crisp detail.
Finally, I picked up my rifle. Pulling it into my shoulder, I turned on my EOTech sight. Mounted behind it was a 3X magnifier, which allowed me to shoot more accurately during the day. Aiming at t he wall near my bunk, I t est ed my red laser, which was visible t o t he naked eye, and I flipped down my NVGs and t est ed t he IR laser.
Pulling the bolt back, I chambered a round. I performed a press check by sliding the bolt back and inspecting the chamber to make sure a round was seated. I double-checked to make sure it was on safe, and I rest ed t he rifle back against t he wall.
With my gear checked and ready, I pulled a small laminated booklet—our cheat sheet for t he mission—out of a small pouch in t he front of my vest and flipped t hrough it again.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 am

A gun killed Osama Bin Laden??

8) How correct!
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 am

HK416, EOTech sight with 3x mag add-on, Olympus digicam, USD200 cash.......very interesting kit indeed.

Guess HK managed to make the AR15 more reliable than the OEM......

M.
Lanceman wrote:That is a lovely article. BTW, our soldiers suffer a similar fate, even battle casualties. It is sad.do read the book "no easy day" gives more detail of the build up to the raid. Then watch the movie.

Here is an extract from NED, interesting that he mentions a H&K 416 assault rifle..... Guess we'll not know the truth for a while.
Extract:

Sitting on my bed, I started to get dressed. Nothing I did from the moment I started putting on my pants was random.
Every step was carefully planned.
Every check was a way t o focus and make sure I didn’t forget anyt hing. These were the same steps Idid before every mission.
Before I slid my pant s on, I rechecked each pocket on my uniform.
In one cargo pocket, I had my assault gloves and leather mitts for fast-roping. The other cargo pocket had an assortment of extra batteries, an energy gel, and two power bars. My right ankle pocket had an ext ra t ourniquet and my left one had rubber gloves and my SSE kit .
In a pocket on my left shoulder, I felt the $200 cash I’d use if we got compromised and I needed t o buy a ride or bribe someone. Evasion t akes money, and few t hings work bet t er t han American cash. My camera, a digital Olympus point-and-shoot, was in my right shoulder pocket . Running along t he back of my belt , I had a Daniel Winkler fixed blade knife.
I tucked my shirt in and picked up my kit and inspected it again. The ceramic plates covered my vital organs in the front and back. I had two radios mounted on either side of the front plate. Between the radios, I carried three magazines for my H&K 416 assault rifle and one baseball-size fragmentation hand grenade. I also had several chemical lights rigged to the front of my vest, including the infrared version that can only be seen using night vision. We’d crack the plastic lights and throw them in front of rooms and areas that we had cleared. The lights were invisible to the naked eye, but my teammates could see them through their night vision and know what areas were secure.
My bolt cutters rode in a pouch on my back, with the two handles sticking a little ways above my shoulder. At t ached t o my vest were t he t wo ant ennas for t he radios.
Running my hands over my kit, I tugged on the breaching charge I rubber-banded to the back of it. I next focused on my helmet. It weighed less than ten pounds with the night vision goggles attached. It could officially stop a nine-millimeter round, but in the past the helmets had stopped AK-47 bullets. I switched on the light attached to the rail system that runs down the side of the helmet. It was a brand-new Princeton Tec charge light. I’d used it in my last deployment .
I set the helmet on my head and pulled down my night vision goggles, or NVGs. Unlike some of the conventional units, we had NVGs with four tubes instead of the usual two. This allowed us a field of view of 120 degrees instead of just 40 degrees. The standard goggles were like looking through toilet-paper tubes. Our NVGs allowed us to clear corners more easily and gave us greater situational awareness. Switching on the $65,000 goggles, my room was bathed in a green hue.With a few adjustments,Icould see the furniture in crisp detail.
Finally, I picked up my rifle. Pulling it into my shoulder, I turned on my EOTech sight. Mounted behind it was a 3X magnifier, which allowed me to shoot more accurately during the day. Aiming at t he wall near my bunk, I t est ed my red laser, which was visible t o t he naked eye, and I flipped down my NVGs and t est ed t he IR laser.
Pulling the bolt back, I chambered a round. I performed a press check by sliding the bolt back and inspecting the chamber to make sure a round was seated. I double-checked to make sure it was on safe, and I rest ed t he rifle back against t he wall.
With my gear checked and ready, I pulled a small laminated booklet—our cheat sheet for t he mission—out of a small pouch in t he front of my vest and flipped t hrough it again.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

no easy day bookstore clasftn IMG-20121109-05879.jpg
:deadhorse:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Lanceman wrote:This is an interesting question, read the link below to see if something comes of it. The book "No Easy Day" gives further insights into this really complex matter.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001345432
Excellent interview, loved reading it. Thanks for sharing it

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by discovershashank » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:29 pm

I got the ebook btw. Message me if anyone wants it...
A knife makes me feel stronger, keeps my temper down and gives me the courage to fight for the right. If I am wrong, don't correct me...

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Its my favorite too....
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:32 pm

nay you are all wourng it was not the gun that killed him it was the bullet that killed him.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:38 pm

nagarifle wrote:nay you are all wourng it was not the gun that killed him it was the bullet that killed him.
:D
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:18 pm

really guys!? you're all actually having discussions on fables? sigh! :roll:

jaago giraahak, jaago!
chitty-vitty, bang-shang