Trap Practice Range outing

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Trap Practice Range outing

Post by conty1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:35 pm

So I picked up a trap thrower from Gander mountain last week and we went to what's called Des Plaines Conservation Area which is just south of where I live... less then an hour's drive. They have a couple of trap 'ranges' on this area and all you need is your own trap thrower, clays and guns. You can shoot till your arms hurt... and its FREE. We took a chance on the rainy conditions and went anyway. And thanks to the rain Gods, it stopped raining almost as soon as we got there.

They also have a lot of fishing prospects on the Des Plaines river loaded with Walleyes, small and large mouths, perch and cats. We're planning for another outing for trap and fishing! Any takers welcome :)

More details in the pictures:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1027.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1028.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1038.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1037.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1036.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1031.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1043.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1042.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246 ... re1040.jpg

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Trap Practice Range outing

Post by jonahpach » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Great range guys! and great guns.. I am almost green with envy :mrgreen:

How did the browning citori fare? and by the way what number shot did you use and at what average range did you usually get most of the hits?

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 pm

Great pics Amit. Nice to know you guys are having fun.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:43 am

Hey,

I am just posting pics again so that people don't have to click on to see them.

What a outing guys and a awesome place with people filled with boats, ski's and what not and I must say that Amit's dad shot like a pro.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:36 am

That looks like fun!

Thanks for the pics.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Great pics,thanks gentlemen.Nice to see that you had good fun.

Mehul,just noticed your cap.Check my post on Abhijeet's visit. :wink:

Inder, how are your ears mate?I see that you are without the ear muffs.Ringing? :)

Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:22 pm

jonahpach";p="20799 wrote:Great range guys! and great guns.. I am almost green with envy :mrgreen:

How did the browning citori fare? and by the way what number shot did you use and at what average range did you usually get most of the hits?

Jonah
It's Mehul's Browning A5... shoots great! We were just using target loads. The thrower was almost by our side so we werent getting good distance and it was almost too easy getting the pigeons. And plus we had some technical problems with the thrower initially. But oh well... now we know what to do exactly the next time ;)

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:15 pm

I asked because we too bought a similar launcher here in Aizawl and we had a bunch of problems! first the launcher came without its stand and we improvised with a spare jeep tyre! and then came the surprise the birds wouldnt shatter on impact! Even with a hard throw on the tarmac wouldnt cause a dent! All the equipment supplied by M/s J Biswas and Co - Kolkata. As it turned out only a point blank hit at 15ft. was powerful enough to shatter the 'Made in India' birds. Also the launcher came with a tiny lever type spring attached on the underside with a plastic sticker! to hold and release the birds! This came off on the second launch and we improvised with a bubblegum.

Our choice of guns was limited to a couple of side by side Birmingham shotguns which also compounded the problem as only the lefthand barrel of both the guns was appropriately choked for our loads of No.7 OFB Shaktiman cartridges.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:37 pm

Gentlemen,

As you can see we had a fantastic time.

I hope that these pics are a hint to other members from India to meet up with us when they visit the Chicagoland area. :wink:

We hope to have several more similar outings while Amit's dad is here and the gentleman's company has been nothing less than fantastic. 8)

You will see a lot more of this and hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Cheers!

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:45 am

After seeing Chicago posse’s pictures and reading their report. I finally took the Beretta o/u Donali ( Hindi slang twin barrel) for its first shoot. Why this late – gun permit matter was cleared in April and then lame excuses. My report: The gun was very hard to open and close . It was very tiring and distracting. There were three of us on practice trap range, so we would shoot 6 shots and rotate, which assisted in cooling the guns, my arms and it was 90F muggy day.
One of my fellow shooters noticing my discomfort ( Ex special forces/pastor who won Remi 1100 Trap gun in a competition) recommended I go back to the range station / club and have it lubed. Did that and it was somewhat easier to operate.
My score was horrible and per range person assigned to me I was firing too soon, moving my head away from the stock, swinging the barrel – wrong pose etc name it barely averaged 10/25. Blame it on the gun – naah its me. Then I had range person fire the gun and she observed I had very tight pattern chokes on. Now I need to read Beretta booklet and figure that out, I have nearly deciphered their pamphlet.
In all shot about 3 boxes - rounds ( till my arms ached plus it’s a 1.5 hour drive one way). Came back wiped the gun and cleaned the barrel with a solvent and using cleaning paper included in the kit.
I was unable to clean barrels properly, some powder residue left in there and I need to purchase set of brushes and a better pull through. Currently the one I have is a metal one, which is basically set of tubes that can be screwed and unscrewed to clean pistol and other barrel sizes.
Summary I need to go out more often. My right arm is sore because may be I am gripping too hard? Or need to push some dumb bells for muscles.
Finally I need to find company for going out to the range.
Pictures to follow.

Best

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Hey Chicagoland guys, Looks like you had a lot of fun. Congratulations and I hope to join you sometime.

PS: Did you guys think about making a road trip to West Michigan this summer for the fishing/shooting trip I proposed.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:45 pm

HSharief";p="20928 wrote:Hey Chicagoland guys, Looks like you had a lot of fun. Congratulations and I hope to join you sometime.

PS: Did you guys think about making a road trip to West Michigan this summer for the fishing/shooting trip I proposed.
'Proposed' to who? :P Mujhe bhi batao...

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:16 pm

I had proposed to Mehul and Inder when I spoke to them on phone that you all should come over to my place some weekend. We can go to Seaway Gun Club for Trap, Skeet AND Sporting Clays, they have all three. Then head over to Grand Haven or Muskegon and charter a boat and go fishing on Lake Michigan.

You can bring the ladies too, we can drop them at the Lakes Mall north of Grand Haven and/or they can picnic on the HUGE beach in Grand Haven while we do our deeds. There is a little bitty outlet mall in Holland too. There is also a HUGE mall in Grand Rapids but thats a bit away.

Let me know.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:37 pm

HSharief";p="20933 wrote:I had proposed to Mehul and Inder when I spoke to them on phone that you all should come over to my place some weekend. We can go to Seaway Gun Club for Trap, Skeet AND Sporting Clays, they have all three. Then head over to Grand Haven or Muskegon and charter a boat and go fishing on Lake Michigan.

You can bring the ladies too, we can drop them at the Lakes Mall north of Grand Haven and/or they can picnic on the HUGE beach in Grand Haven while we do our deeds. There is a little bitty outlet mall in Holland too. There is also a HUGE mall in Grand Rapids but thats a bit away.

Let me know.
Sounds good to me. And since 'shopping' is a part of the plan, I'm sure the wife and the mom will have no problems either. How much are charters from Grand Haven or Muskegon? Around here, it usually comes out to be 60-70 per head! Anyway... let's do this... I was going to take dad on a charter anyway. I was thinking June 23-24th weekend. Let me know if these dates work for all and if a boat is available!

Amit

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 pm

Guy's

Lovely pics,looks like you folks had a blast.

Jonah,are you at the range or the middle of a road.

Cheers

Sanjay