Hindustan Times full page feature on gun owners

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Hindustan Times full page feature on gun owners

Post by TC » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Dear friends,

The idea struck me last Thursday while working on a series I had planned on heritage and legacy. Since I could not trust any of the reporters with this subject I decided to hit the field.

Had only two days to write the article, get photographs and talk to a few gun enthusiasts in Kolkata. At one point was difficult to decide how much of technical data should be put in for the general readers.

I went through the threads of our forum and picked up a few points and photos. Mentioning IFG was a pleasure.

Please accept this as my humble tribute to IFG. Sadly, the JPEG image of the page could not be uploaded in full resolution because of restrictions on upload size. In fact, uploading this thread too was not easy and for some strange reason I had to try five times.

Regards

TC

(Tanmay Chatterjee, Assistant Editor, HT)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Hindustan Times full page feature on gun owners

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Great Job, TC!
It's good to know that everyone in the press is not biased against us.
Is there any way that we can read the article online?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:07 pm

xl_target wrote:Great Job, TC!
It's good to now that everyone in the press is not biased against us.
Is there any way that we can read the article online?

you can read it here sir http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
GUNS ARE FOREVER

Hindustan Times (Kolkata)
22 Apr 2012

Once a symbol of might, personal firearms raise questions in today’s society. But, enthusiasts are not ready to give up, reports - TANMAY CHATTERJEE
"We plug the barrels of stick guns and remove the firing mechanism so that people can keep them at home as souvenirs"
JP SINGH Assistant commissioner (Arms Act), Kolkata Police
A pistol, neatly crafted and disguised as a gold plated pen, was perhaps the most bizarre gift Lord Mountbatten, the last viceroy of colonial India, was hoping to receive when the country was paying the price of her Independence with more than half a million deaths, mindless mayhem and, last but not the least, the life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

But, in 1948, India was a different land. Erstwhile Maharajas, scions of the princely states and landlords were bearing a legacy that had made India a jewel in the crown of the British empire.

The .22 caliber pistol with a 2.7 inch barrel and concealed trigger was a gift to the viceroy from the Maharaja of Jodhpur. It is believed that the firearm, resembling "pen guns" available in Europe at the time, was made by a local gunsmith.

Stories of Indian kings and noblemen and their love for hunting and firearms can run into thousand-page biographies and film scripts. Ironically, most of it is now history. To enforce the ban on hunting and contain crime and terrorism, the Union and the states have been forced to tighten regulations on ownership of firearms since the early 80s. As a result, hundreds of legal heirs to antique and classic firearms across the country have either lost interest in retaining their family heirloom or taking up shooting as a sport like their forefathers. In short, gun enthusiasts — unlike in countries like the USA where the ‘Right to keep and bear arms’ has been guaranteed by the Second Amendment — are gradually becoming extinct.

But, like in all countries where rich history has forced man to become custodians of legacy, a few thousand Indians have refused to let go of their guns. Among them, are quite a few people from Bengal.

When he stares at the Kolkata skyline from his third floor flat at Park Circus, the child in 80-year old Sayyed Abdul Kashem often gets lost in the jungles of Birbhum district where his father, Sayyed Muhammed Hussain, heir to the Khanpur Estate, used to go hunting with Raja Kalikinkar Singh of Maheshpur.

"My father had a British 404 double barrel rifle made by Jeffrey and a ‘drilling’, a shotgun with three barrels firing shells of different bores. There were more. A room in our house was stocked with 18th century flintlock rifles. Dildar Khan, one of my father’s guards, used to hunt wild deer with these obsolete rifles inside the Sultanpur forest. One day a rifle blew up on his face. Probably he rammed in too much gunpowder. Dildar lost his life," recounts Sayeed Abdul Kashem. "Those days are gone."

The octogenarian, ‘Kashem Saheb’ to the city’s gun-loving fraternity, has not given up his ‘babies’ — a classic 357 magnum-12 bore heavily engraved over-under combination and an antique combination with a 16 bore barrel. "Both are of German make," Kashem Saheb points out with panache.

Jyoti Prakash Das, an avid shooter and grandson of Alamohan Das, after whom an industrial zone in Howrah was christened Dasnagar, lives in the company of cold steel and warm nostalgia. His father, Prabhat Kumar Das, bagged the bronze at the 1966 World Shooting Championship in Germany, using a typical hunting shotgun — a Remington 1100 semi automatic.
Urged by experts to procure something more appropriate for the skeet event, Prabhat Kumar returned home with a wonderful Italian over under gun — a Perazzi. "He died that year and could not make it to the Mexico Olympics", says Jyoti Prakash. "But, his guns are with me."

Being in the gun trade probably makes things easier. Joydip Biswas of J Biswas and Co. at Esplanade is one of the youngest collectors in the country to possess two classic hunting rifles — a Holland & Holland 30.06 and a Farlach Armex 375 magnum with factory fitted telescope. "The 30.06 is the only one of its kind in India," quips Joydip as he shoulders the rifle and takes aim at an invisible target.
A "first generation" gun lover, Partha Banerjee, senior executive with a private company, was inspired by friends and colleagues who own firearms. "I was a kid then. One of my relatives did not allow me to touch his revolver. I promised to myself that some day I would own one," says Banerjee.

He purchased two pistols and a British rifle over the years. "Once I was done with all the shooting, I sold two of the weapons. But I have retained the Ruger Mark I .22 pistol. It is an American classic."

Arms and the man: Legal hurdles on the way

Despite every provision that gives an Indian citizen the reason to claim a firearm licence, the Indian Arms Act of 1959 does not really help hardcore gun enthusiasts, collectors or, even wannabe shooters, because of the amendments and enforcement at the ground level.

To begin with, the Act does not allow one person to own more than three firearms at a time. A fourth, subject to discretion of the administration, is allowed provided it is of .22 caliber which is primarily used by sportspersons.
No matter what the Act says, no citizen enjoys any Constitutional "right" to own a firearm. Granting or not granting a licence depends entirely on the discretion exercised by the local police or district administration. And, this discretion gives the local authorities the power to deny licence even if the applicant passes the mandatory test, that is, he has provided proof that he is a bonafide, law-abiding citizen with no criminal record.

"With illegal firearms infiltrating metros and towns and crime and terrorism on the rise, the police will always want to ensure that weapons in the hands of private citizens are kept at a minimum. A weapon in every home would mean that the police would be outgunned the day hell breaks loose. We have to use extreme caution while granting a licence and that is why there is almost a blanket ban on import of weapons from abroad since 1984," said a state home department official.

"Yes, this extreme caution does lead to denial of licence to people who fail to provide any convincing reason for keeping a firearm. Even if one sites threat to life or property, we have to be convinced," the officer added.
Against this backdrop, people eager to retain antique and classic firearms left by ancestors often run into hurdles. One, if there are three or more firearms, getting licence for all becomes difficult. Two, if any of the weapons are of prohibited caliber (the ones used by the police, paramilitary and Armed Forces), the legal procedure becomes all the more gruesome.

There are also occasions when an inherited weapon is found to be of a caliber or design that is obsolete. With no supply of cartridge, the weapon turn into a showpiece. Yet, the inheritor has to procure licence to retain it. "There are so many antique weapons, the old .455 or .476 Webley revolvers, for example, for which cartridges aren't available any more. We still have some in our stocks," said Subrata Daw of NC Daw and Co, the oldest surviving gun shop in Kolkata.

Firearms disguised as walking sticks and umbrellas that fire a single round at a time, have been banned in many states including Bengal. "We plug the barrels of stick guns and remove the firing mechanism so that people can keep them at home as souvenirs," said JP Singh, assistant commissioner (Arms Act), Kolkata Police.

"The Union government has provided options to preserve family legacy. And, that includes granting permission to retain weapons of prohibited bores," Singh added.
Maharajas who had their guns etched in gold

On the eve of the fateful 2011 Assembly polls, when the police asked citizens to deposit all personal firearms in the custody of registered gun dealers, a shop owner in central Kolkata was taken aback one afternoon. A businessman from Burrabazar arrived with a small metal can with a pipe and a lever protruding from opposite ends. "I refused to believe that it was a firearm but the man opened the can, inserted a .22 short cartridge inside a rotating disc and showed me how to fire it," says the shop owner.

The weapon (pictured) is a Turbiaux palm squeezer pistol made in France. Its inventor, Jaques Turbiaux, a Parisian, patented it in 1882. Copies, with an additional safety catch and couple of finger rests, were later made in the USA. Because of their poor killing power the palm squeezers never became popular. How one of these landed in Kolkata and still remains operational can ideally be a subject of research.

Antique and classic firearms, ranging from big bore hunting rifles to tiny self defence handguns, can still be found in personal collections and museums across India. Many weapons also landed in Europe. These were either sold by their Indian owners, given away to British officers as gifts or, simply acquired during wars and mutinies as 'mementos'.

During research, members of the country's first gun owners online forum, Indians For Guns, have came across a number of weapons that were custom-made by British gun makers for royal families in India. One such weapon is an old 12 bore shotgun (pictured) made by famous British gun makers, Alexander Henry, in 1874 for the Maharaja of Patiala. The gun had gold engraving down the barrel. Years later, it was reportedly given as a gift to a retired British army officer.

Westley Richards of Birmingham, another British gun maker of international repute, made a droplock paradox gun (pictured) in 1911 for the then Maharaja of Patiala. The gun, with exquisite gold engraving, also had the Maharaja’s face etched on the frame.

In 1939, John Rigby and Company made a sidelock double rifle in .416/470 for the Maharaja of Sujapur. The rifle had extensive engravings and etchings on the frame, barrel and the walnut stock. This is believed to be the only rifle made by Rigby in these calibers at that time. The rifle even has the crest of Sujapur kingdom etched on it.
At the Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II museum in Jaipur, the Silehkhana or armoury is a true treasure trove for gun enthusiasts. The museum has one of the largest and finest collections of black powder guns and handguns from the matchlock and flintlock era.

In Bengal, such a collection can be found at the Hazarduari Palace in Murshidabad district, the capital of Shiraz-ud-daulla, the last independent Nawab of Bengal who lost to Lord Clive in the Battle of Plassey in 1757.
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Great work TC :cheers:
Thanks to varunik for the readable format..... !

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm

TC,

Nice effort but in keeping with 'You can not please everybody' :wink: I do have an issue with this
" To enforce the ban on hunting and contain crime and terrorism, the Union and the states have been forced to tighten regulations on ownership of firearms since the early 80s"
and the lack of any rebuttal to this

“With illegal firearms infiltrating metros and towns and crime and terrorism on the rise, the police will always want to ensure that weapons in the hands of private citizens are kept at a minimum. A weapon in every home would mean that the police would be outgunned the day hell breaks loose. We have to use extreme caution while granting a licence and that is why there is almost a blanket ban on import of weapons from abroad since 1984,” said a state home department official.
“Yes, this extreme caution does lead to denial of licence to people who fail to provide any convincing reason for keeping a firearm. Even if one sites threat to life or property, we have to be convinced,” the officer added.

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 pm

“With illegal firearms infiltrating metros and towns and crime and terrorism on the rise, the police will always want to ensure that weapons in the hands of private citizens are kept at a minimum. A weapon in every home would mean that the police would be outgunned the day hell breaks loose. We have to use extreme caution while granting a licence and that is why there is almost a blanket ban on import of weapons from abroad since 1984,” said a state home department official.
“Yes, this extreme caution does lead to denial of licence to people who fail to provide any convincing reason for keeping a firearm. Even if one sites threat to life or property, we have to be convinced,” the officer added.

Thats why we support RKBA
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Fantastic work TC!! :clap: You've been MIA for a while (on the forum), probably one of the best comeback posts ever!! :D

+1 @ Thanks to varunik for the readable format..... !

@ WTP - unfortunately these attitudes amongst the police are all too common. I remember a detailed conversation I had with a dear friend, wherein he had pointed out the fact that - as & where licensing has been taken out from the hands of the revenue deptt./ administration and handed over to the police, the number of licenses issued every year (in that jurisdiction) plummets to almost nothing. Our police force is still structured & trained as a "colonial police force" with the basic ethos of keeping the populace "in check" and NOT a police force with the primary objective of helping citizens & controlling crime. Numerous commissions have come, spent public money, made reports and disappeared into oblivion, but no positive police reform has taken place since independence! :evil:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 pm

For the first time, I've seen a positive report about gun owners in newspaper.
Bravo TC, you accomplished something that no other reporter has managed to. :cheers:
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

IshanKumarGupta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by IshanKumarGupta » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 pm

The Government Should be Ashamed As The Amount Of Illegal Arms In India Outnumber Their Legal Counterparts 10 to 1.
Apart From That They Should Remove The Prohibited Bore As Almost All Illegal Arms Are Prohibited Bores.
On A Recent Trip To Kashmir I Met A Man Selling Me A Almost New AK-47 For 70grand(INR). imagine

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:11 pm

A big thanks to Varunik for taking to time to render the article in text.
It was much appreciated.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 pm

TC great effort! and keep up the good work!
Also if I may make a suggestion, it would be really beneficial if you could perhaps write an article that talks about Articles 19 and 21 of the Constitution and RKBA and how our fundamental right (RKBA) is being subverted by the authorities... and how because of the subversion of RKBA ordinary law abiding citizens are being victimized both by the criminals and the authorities and also talk about the arms import ban stating that the citizens who manage to get arms license have shell out a boat load of money to buy old imported weapons and crappy IOF stuff and yet the politicians have easy access to them (imported weapons) at throw away prices and also the people who protect them (SPG, NSG) have all imported weapons...
Also talk about NAGRI what it is and what are it goals and accomplishments till now as that would help NAGRI get some visibility....
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 am

That's beauty .....

Written pieces like these goes long way, keep it up - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 am

Yes indeed it's beauty. very well written as well. keep it up.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 am

What I liked, TC was that you didn't give us your opinion, just facts.
All those comments about reasons for granting a license, etc. were quotes.

Far too many reporters confuse their own opinions with "reporting". I think it was an effort well deserving of applause.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 am

Abhijeet,

My objection to this line To enforce the ban on hunting and contain crime and terrorism, the Union and the states have been forced to tighten regulations on ownership of firearms since the early 80s is this that it seems to legitimatizes what has been done so far to limit/restrict gun ownership.It overlooks the fact that not terrorist or criminal applies for an arms license.Just reinforces the 'gun owners are bad people who need to be controlled/regulated to prevent them from doing evil deeds ' view of most people.

My objection to this being printed without any challenge does not need an explanation "With illegal firearms infiltrating metros and towns and crime and terrorism on the rise, the police will always want to ensure that weapons in the hands of private citizens are kept at a minimum. A weapon in every home would mean that the police would be outgunned the day hell breaks loose. We have to use extreme caution while granting a licence and that is why there is almost a blanket ban on import of weapons from abroad since 1984," said a state home department official.

"Yes, this extreme caution does lead to denial of licence to people who fail to provide any convincing reason for keeping a firearm. Even if one sites threat to life or property, we have to be convinced," the officer added.

How private ownership of firearms is in any way linked with terrorism and criminal activity is something that I have never been able to understand.If private citizens have arms will they suddenly organize an armed rebellion? Would they be able to act in a cohesive and disciplined manner and be ready to die? What would be the impulse for this criminal activity? Just that they have guns?