ARMED AND FRIENDLY

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

ARMED AND FRIENDLY

Post by mundaire » Sat May 05, 2007 9:49 am

ARMED AND FRIENDLY

[5 May, 2007 TIMES NEWS NETWORK]

In this series, we cover unusual groups that are bound by a common passion. This week,Sharmila Ganesan meets a society of armed Indians

On April 16, when a sullen English literature student named Cho Seung-Hui shot dead over 30 students and teachers at Virginia Tech, a scattered network of Indians silently cursed him for very personal reasons. Cho had given people like them a bad name. They went to the net and wrote passionate pieces, all in support of humanity but with an unmistakable defence of that romantic thing called the gun. "Guns don't kill people, people do," wrote Inderjeet Singh, a software professional. He is part of a nationwide group that includes pilots, businessmen and ex-army personnel. Here, every member has a gun. In fact, they are bonded by the common love for the weapon.

For over a year now, these gun enthusiasts have been meeting on an online forum called Indians For Guns. IFG, as the members like to call it, was started by Delhi's 34-year-old entrepreneur Abhijeet Singh when he couldn't find India-specific shooting information online. He then decided to post his own copy of the Arms Act on his personal website and got a lot of queries for help from other gun owners. That was when he set up the IFG yahoo group which later developed into a dedicated website. It now has about 250 members from all over India, mostly in the age group of 35 to 55. Besides, there are also several enthusiasts from US, UK and other countries who post here because of their love for India. In fact, two of the five moderators of the group are based abroad. "It's their way of helping out fellow Indians," says Singh, who started shooting at the age of eight. He owns about four to five pistols now and has participated in various national level competitions.

GUNS AND POSES The members of Indians For Guns meet regularly online as well as in the real world

From the very beginning, Singh made it clear that this was a serious group, "unlike Orkut communities". Here, every bit of information related to guns, ammunition and gun laws is vetted for its accuracy by gunsmiths with over 40 years of experience. Two dreamy teenagers who lied about owning 'submachines' (illegal in India) were asked to leave the group. Singh has added a strict code of conduct along with some moral lessons which include guidance on the appropriate language. "If you won't say it to your mother or grandmother, don't say it here," is one such lesson. When the members want to insult or swear, they have to find solace in sarcasm. A typical rude remark in this community would be mean rather than abusive. Like, "You won't get far by saying that you have a rifle with which your grandfather shot a rogue elephant who leapt 20 feet in the air."

When they speak about guns, these men sound like wineglass-holding connoisseurs in an art gallery. For them, names like Purdey and Beretta mean works of art. Pune's Zubin Postwalla, who manages a travel agency, still remembers the aroma of gun-oil wafting through his dad's room soon after he successfully opened his gun cabinet. Eventually though, the realisation of what these works of art are capable of, is a humbling feeling for the bunch. The very act of shooting can be the ultimate form of self-control. "If I pull the trigger,
and the bullet doesn't go where I wanted it to go, I alone am at fault. I have to practise self-control when I shoot, there is no point in losing my temper when I miss, or in blaming the gun, bullet or sights. I simply have to take a deep breath and try again," says Abhijeet.

Occasionally, IFG members meet outside the web forum, in the real world. Members from Delhi and Bangalore take trips to shooting ranges once in a while. Since that manly thing called hunting has been rendered illegal, the enthusiasts satisfy themselves by shooting clay pigeons or fishing. On these trips, they make a lot of fun of each other, like men usually do. And in between the jibes, they keep exchanging curious facts like how the American town of Kennesaw is also called gun city because of an ordinance in 1982 that made it mandatory for every head of household to own a firearm, and how this ordinance was in response to the town of Morton Grove banning the possession of handguns.

The members of the IFG probably dream of heavens like Kennesaw. Secretly, many of them long to be in Africa, "where you can shoot anything," as a member says, or in the US where you don't need a licence to get a gun. India makes them feel like deviants. In the same country where, the members say, even Gandhi endorsed gun ownership, they have to grapple with a perpetual politically incorrect status. "Owning a firearm in India is falsely associated with having bad intentions or being fabulously wealthy," says 25-yearold Zubin Postwalla, who owns air-rifles and a double barrelled shotgun. Actually, it helps being wealthy if you love guns. Prices in India are dictated by a demand that is many times the supply. "Guns cost 10 to 20 times more in India than the US. For instance, a Walther PPK .32 cal pistol which sells at $ 800 in the States, costs anywhere between Rs 4 to 5 lakh here," says Postwalla.

Even so, a healthy bank balance is only half the battle won. Barring a certain category of target shooters, Indians are restricted to one handgun, one shotgun and one rifle. Getting an arms licence means wading through red tape and some serious palm-greasing. "In some parts like UP and Bihar, the only way to get a gun licence is to undergo a vasectomy," says Asif Ali, a doctor, about one of the abnormal incentives used by the state governments for population control. These ownership laws of India, says Abhijeet, find their roots in colonial times when the Raj wanted to keep Indians from procuring arms. Only the loyal subjects of the empire could get a gun.

A bitter joke in the community is that "if someone is a law abiding gun owner, he is treated as a criminal. If he owns illegal guns, he becomes an MP." The issue of licences to persons of dubious character at the behest of crooked politicians has wounded the pride of traditional gun owners. "The government is busy rewarding criminals while the licence procedures assume that we are potentially guilty even if we have a valid reason like self-defence," says Abhijeet. Firearms need serious revisions of existing laws, he says. To be eligible to import a target grade weapon, one must qualify within the top 25 or 50 target shooters in that category. "But how will budding shooters qualify if they don't train well? They have to borrow the guns to train today."

Inevitably, there are comic situations. A year ago, after Bangalore's Mack The Knife Bana bought a rifle, he had taken it to the Arms section at the Commissioner's office to have it endorsed on his licence. The clerk held the rifle, looked it up and down and asked, "Is this a shotgun or a pistol, saar?" Mack The Knife says, "I can understand if he was unsure about it being a rifle or a shotgun but mistaking it for a pistol really knocked me for a six." There are very few women on IFG, but the men insist it has nothing to do with the perception that the gun is a male toy. "Anybody can pull a trigger," says Inderjeet Singh. In fact, they say women are known to be better shooters. But the jolly old IFG boys don't seem to miss their presence too much. In a way, they prefer guns to women. "At least, you can buy a silencer for a gun," someone says. TNN

ADMISSIONS OPEN
Membership is free and open to all

To register, visit http://www.indiansforguns.com or email Abhijeet Singh on [email protected] Women are especially welcome
(Readers who are aware of unusual groups may send in their suggestions to [email protected])
Last edited by mundaire on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Re: ARMED AND FRIENDLY

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat May 05, 2007 10:56 am

Abhijeet,

This is excellent news. Thanks go to you for initiating this and to Ms Sharmila Ganesan and to the Times of India for carrying a humorous and well written piece.

Hopefully, we shall be able to invite Ms Ganesan to an IFG group shoot to see for herself that we do not put silencers over womens' mouths. :lol: Now, this is an opportunity for our women members to come here and pull the mens' legs. :lol:

Lovely and superb show!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun May 06, 2007 12:22 am

Excellent article indeed! We have to thank Ms. Ganesan for her objective coverage of this sensitive topic (of gun ownership) as well as for making the piece an entertaining read - even for the lay person! :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sun May 06, 2007 1:24 am

Fantastic Article :D Kudos to Abhijeet and Moderators and Congratulations to all members of IFG.

Thanks & Regards
Saptarshi
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun May 06, 2007 3:44 am

Congrats guys

Well written article

All the best

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:16 am

very awesome,
N

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun May 06, 2007 5:57 am

Ms Sharmila, A public thank you from all the IFG members for a wonderfully written effort.Abhijeet, thank you for this.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun May 06, 2007 8:36 am

Excellent article.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sun May 06, 2007 9:20 am

Great article,will serve the IFG cause well.Many thanks to Ms Ganesan,Abhijeet,Mods and all members.

PS just a thought,we are 350 plus and growing,we should look at getting IFG stickers made for our wheels,complete with logo and web address.

Cheers

Sanjay

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sun May 06, 2007 11:05 am

GREAT STUFF !!!

RP.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun May 06, 2007 11:40 am

Sanjay";p="19384 wrote:PS just a thought,we are 350 plus and growing,we should look at getting IFG stickers made for our wheels,complete with logo and web address.
Cheers
Sanjay
Sanjay,

Thanks for the reminder. Inder, Pran and I discussed this whilst fishing at Manchibelle. Pran's brother-in-law runs a press and Pran says he can get them made.

I had shortlisted a design of Amit's (Conty1) and have just e-mailed Pran the following:

Hi Praveen,

This is how I want the IFG sticker to be except that instead of a two tone brown it will be in black with a white background.

I would like a quote for two sizes:
1) 18" x 2" - for 500 and 1000 pieces respectively.
2) 12" x 2" - for 500 and 1000 pieces respectively.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Sorry but there is no logo on this as I want to keep the price as low as possible. Once I get an idea of cost I am going to decide how many are to be printed.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Perhaps 10" x 2" will also be an acceptable size. Will let Pran know.

P.P.S.: Praveen,

Also get a quote for 10" x 2" size - 500 and 1000 pieces respectively.

Should be a good quality sticker that is applied externally.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Will continue discussion of this subject on the IFG Sticker thread.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun May 06, 2007 4:09 pm

Thank you Sharmila for the well writte article and ofcourse, thank you Abhijeet for the coordination and effort !!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:14 pm

Nice Article, Thanks a lot to Miss Ganesan and Abhijeet for coordination

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon May 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="19395 wrote: Hi Praveen,

This is how I want the IFG sticker to be except that instead of a two tone brown it will be in black with a white background.

I would like a quote for two sizes:
1) 18" x 2" - for 500 and 1000 pieces respectively.
2) 12" x 2" - for 500 and 1000 pieces respectively.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Forwarded your mail to my BIL.Will call/mail you once I get his reply.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:56 pm

good article!!!!!!!!!!!
IFG wins again.