Nusli Wadia 'carried' gun on Dubai flight

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:43 am

MUMBAI: The civil aviation ministry has ordered a high-level probe into the incident involving industrialist Nusli Wadia being detained at Dubai airport on January 13 for carrying an undeclared revolver and live cartridges in his baggage.

The firearm and cartridges were discovered when Wadia, promoter of budget carrier GoAir and chairperson of Bombay Dyeing, reached Dubai from Mumbai on an Air India flight.

Taking serious note of the incident that occurred at a time when airports all over India were on high alert with Republic Day coming up, Air India on Friday suspended the person in charge of X-raying baggage at the time of Wadia's flight from here.

"It is a serious security lapse that a revolver and live cartridges were not checked when baggage was being loaded" said a senior aviation officer. "We are investigating the matter. Strict action will be taken against any other person/persons if found guilty," said a statement from the airline.

The firearm was in Wadia's check-in baggage and found during screening at Dubai airport. The weapon was confiscated and Wadia given a receipt after he showed his arms licence. The Dubai authorities questioned him for few hours and recorded his statement before letting him go.

In a statement, the Wadia group said its chief had to "leave in a hurry. He asked his staff to finish his packing. The help inadvertently packed an old toilet bag containing the licensed firearm. Hence, Wadia was unaware of the presence of the firearm." The Dubai authorities were very helpful, it said, adding Wadia was not detained.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Nusli Wadia 'carried' gun on Dubai flight

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:21 am

One more gun goes out of INDIA....

So what do you guys think Is thre any law to bring back guns gone out f country by mistake :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:03 pm

Read the news this morning .. and here i was caught for carrying a perfume in my handbag at the Sahara Airport .. lady luck was all in favours with Mr. Nusli ( atleast in India it was..l :wink:

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:22 pm

official version is domestic help packed the gun..people like us would have been cooling our heels in a cell, case.... people like Wadia fuggadaboutit ...

Which begs the question what make and bore was it and why does he carry one....
Wadia like others probably has his guns abroad somehwere

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:14 pm

As per the family's version, the gun and his shaving kits were kept in exactly similar pouches in the same cupboard. On receiving his call for packing his suitcase, the servant pulled out one of the case. They also say that the gun was kept unused for several years. If so, NW was using a toiletery pack for several years too which is highly unlikely !

Keeping a gun accessible to servants or rather someone having access to a gun other than its owner :evil:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:48 am

Whatever the excuse, airline security screwed up biiig time period
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:49 am

Axx

Dont get it VVIP are never searched at airport..gun in old suitecase nobody knew it.. these guys will still pass through diplomatic channels whereas CISF guys will be checking others like crazy..

Sujay

You think guys like wadia have any clue where to locate linen in there palace or even find a cabinet.. its run by army of valets and butlers..gun must be packed all the time..
Rgds

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:11 pm

You drove the nail through the wall Sujay! ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 am

Hi Guys!
I would like tell a similier kind of thing happend with me last year while i was going to bangkok .
i took a connecting jet airways flight from lucknow to delhi.
I gave my lagguage for Xray at lucknow airport,it was cleared.then I proceeded toward the boarding counter.Suddenly i realised that my medicine pouch is kept inside the trolley.(As i was not well)Then i decided to carry that trolley as a hand baggage .Then took my boarding pass went towards security check,put my baggage for xray again & within seconds i was surrounded by CISF officers .on asking what happend ,I was told there is ammunation in my bag.I was the worst moment of my life.I opened my bag ,searched and found 3 live .22 cartridges inside a Pants pocket.CISF gaurds started harressing me by passing comments like-"Dubai ja raha hai,Osama ka aadmi hai,Crimnal hai,Muslim hai,etc etc" I told them that i have i Liscenced pistol so by mistake it came in my bag,fortunetly i was carrying photo copy of lisc.., club membership card.
i showed them,they took me to C.O,started asking several question,my boarding card was cancelled,then i called my brother to bring my orignal lisc. from home,officer asked me to write a big statement (of 2 pages)even the names & addresses of ppl who are no more in this world,after 45 mins investigation they got convinced(due to small calibre,they them self said -.22 is used for target shooting ,not harmfull on live targets,lol)then i was released & was told to contact the airport police station after returning.I bought another ticket at the same time (indian airways)& continued for delhi,but was tensed for entire journey(after reaching delhi ,checked my baggage for 3 times).
If i would have given my luggage at boarding as it was cleared in XRay at Lucknow,then i would have been cought at delhi international airport & then the situation would have been different as 2 days before there was a bomb explosion in delhi,so there was high security alert .
So this is called security.
Very bad experience of my life,,now whenever i am travelling i always check my bags,pocket etc atleast 3-4 times.

Badshah
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:50 am

badshah0522";p="11846 wrote:"Dubai ja raha hai,Osama ka aadmi hai,Crimnal hai,Muslim hai,etc etc" I
These morons take their frustrations out on innocent law abiding citizens while the real terrorists roam on our streets scot free.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm sure anyone who has flown in India has seen this. You and I are waiting in line and being treated as criminals and ATMs, everyone asks for Chai/Pani, stupid questions like "Kahan se aaye ho", "Kahan ja rahe ho", "Kya karte ho", "Kya laye ho", "Kya le ja rahe ho", "Bam/sham to nahin hai", 'Yeh photo tumhara hi hai kya", I'm sure others have heard worse. Anyway, then some VIP and his entourage stroll along, the whole establishment goes star struck. The CISF guys are carrying the bags, getting all the stamps, I've seen bags don't even go thru the scanner, they are carried thru the "employee" passage. I can't list all the problems, I'm so piffed. I'm sure others have seen worse.

Oh Darling, Yeh hai India !!!

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi all Nusli Wadias gun was not a revolver but an automatic pistol(.45) with 30 rounds of ammo. The weapon has been confiscated by the Dubai ports and customs authorities. A lot of pleading was done by the Indian high Commision to get the same released but no avail.And yes he was detained for almost 3 hours for"routine" questioning. This all was confirmed by a trusted friend and fellow shooter who works with Dnata who are the ground handling agents for Air-India at Dubai Airport.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:43 am

Its true sharief,There main victims are poor Biharis & labour class,who are comming back after 2-3 yrs,bringing cheap items like toys,emergency lights,camera,etc,etc,wrapped in bed sheets & canvas bags,The net value of these item does not exceeds more tha 10-12k,but they are stopped at gates & harrassed,poor ppl give Rs400-500 for the sake of avoiding problems.& in the mean time the main ppl crosses the gate with expensive item ,without paying duty.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:58 am

HI Guys
Yesterday my DAD called me and told that 2-3 Cops Came to my house enquiring about me.They told my parents regarding my case ,they said no one came to collect the Ammo lying with us since 1 year.So they did the verification and returned back the ammo to my parents after taking a written declaration.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"