If imports were opened today, what gun would you buy first?

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mehulkamdar

If imports were opened today, what gun would you buy first?

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:59 am

A rhetorical question - if imports were opened today, what gun would you buy first? And if the three guns a head limit were quashed, what would you like to have subject to a "Swedish style" limit of six guns?

My choices would be:

1. Custom Hein bolt rifle in either 30-06 or 318 W-R as my first choice

2. A fine 22 lr sporter either from Cooper or Kimber next

3. A fine pair of matching 12 bore shotguns by A A Brown

4. A compact handgun for carrying - probably a 1911 type in either 40 S&W or 45 ACP

5. A double big bore in either 470 or 465 by a new name master gunmaker like Trevor Proctor

What would be your preferred battery?

Cheers,

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Six is a lot less guns. :(

Let me try.

1. A Purdey or a Boss 16 or 20 bore SXS Gun
2. .22 Sako rifle
3. 30/06 bolt rifle by Hartman & Weiss or one of the best Suhl or Ferlach gunsmiths
4. .416 Rigby double rifle by Holland & Holland ( Always liked this classic calibre and it will do effortlessly what all the bigger bores do).
5. .44 magnum revolver by Manhurin or Colt
6. .357 magnum or .40 Beretta 92FS Silver pistol

My competition Perazzi MX2000 or Kreighoff Plantation grade with multiple barrels shall be procured on shooter quota. :wink:

Best- Vikram
Last edited by Vikram on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:00 pm

mehul,

my choice is similar to yours..

1. custom bolt 30-06. Would like one in double barrel too.

2 A fine 22 lr sporter from Cooper

3 A fine pair of matching 12 bore shotguns

4 A compact handgun for carrying 1911 type in 45 ACP. I like the Heckler & Koch P7K3 too with 3 barrels in .22 LR, .32 ACP & .380 ACP

5 A double in 450-400 or 470

sat

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

mehul your choice

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:22 am

300 Wea Mag by Sauer
465 or 470 double -mehul , your choice...
H&H 'Badminton' 12g- 1 for field use
12 ga Mossberg with 20 inch barrel as a home gun...
22 Kimber
45-FBI HRT model (Les Bauer)or the canadian 14 round 45
22 Hi standard heavy barrel pistol
Ahhh, sounds good, got it off my chest finally! :D :D
Best
Axx
PS: I better start by flogging off my ppk/s in 22 and 450/400 WJ Jefferey :evil:
Last edited by eljefe on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:11 am

Gentlemen,

All excellent choices. I must thank Sat for reminding me about the superb 450-400. A beautiful round that is due to be available much more widely very soon.

Let us wait for more responses.

Mehul

PS Vikram, I brought in a hypothetical six gun limit becaue I am sure that if the three limit is ever overturned in India there still would be a limit on the total number. I doubt that the any number pre 1984 rules will ever come back, though I hope, sincerely, that they would. Cheers!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:05 am

A aix gun limit that includes pistols is just as hypothetical for me as it is for you guys......but for a different reason.
1. A .333 Rimless NE. How about an RPA Quadlock action with a Krieger barrel ?
2. A Steyr-Mannlicher Pro-Hunter in .270 Win or 30-06 - probably the former.
3. An O/U double rifle in .416 Rigby. Something with the accuracy of the Fabarm Asper and the looks of a Chapuis.
4. A David McKay Brown round action O/U 20-Bore.
5. An A.A.Brown & Sons SLE 12-Bore.
6. A Smith & Wesson `N` Frame revolver in .44 mag - probably a 5" 629. That would be a pack gun. If a carry gun then a Les Baer in .45 ACP - probably a 1911 Monolith.
Of course I`d want both pistols....which would take the number up to seven......plus a .17HMR......plus a load more rifles .........and only two shotguns ? Ridiculous !
Asif, why a pair of H&H Badmintons ? The Badminton was H&Hs second grade - the earlier guns were called `Number 2s` in fact.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:15 am

John,
Am not much of a shotgun type-probably score very little on clays and game birds.
All the guns mentioned are one's I've used, am familiar with. The Les Bauer is a 45 and I have used old slabsides a bit...the least familiarity is with shot guns-can probably do some pot hunting.
The badmiton I've used in the past have been very comfortable and helped me score, hence the wish.

best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Young Tiger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Young Tiger » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Wow I love the idea lol , Thanxs mehul you always come up with cool ideas.

1) A pair of McKay Brown Round Action 10 ga O/U shotguns
2) Korth revolver in .44 mag
3) Custom made Peter hofer 3 barrel rifle in .600 N.E
4) Kimber .22 Custom Classic Rifle
5) H&H double rifle in .700 N.E
6) Purdey no.8464 FOR SALE at Gun Vault On Fox Hill rifle belongs to Maharajah Duleep Singh would give me a great satisfaction to bring back something belonging to him back to his motherland.

P.s First 5 of them in Marvin Huey Custom made croc leather blackostrich leather and elephant hide cases :D

Ok Ok i need to get back to reality from the dream!

Take care!
Last edited by Young Tiger on Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Harnihal,
You're going to have the PETA A..holes :twisted: screaming blue murder with your choice of gun cases. :wink:
I had an elephant skin tote bag a long time ago and damn , it was good.
700 NE? You better increase the bench press buddy-more to carry the weapon than to fire it-remember, Mehul didnt give us a choice of gunbearers :lol:
Great choice, go for it!
best
Axx

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:58 pm

Mehul,
we have gun cases by Harnihal, what about holsters? :?
Best
Axx

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:09 am

Do wop do wah, do wop do wah, waaaaaahhh !
- Bit before my time really but a classic of its` type.

Yup, and what about `scopes ?

David McKay Brown doesn`t make a round-action 10-bore....there`s never been a round action 10-Bore made by anyone in fact although that hardly matters, this being a dream list.
You do like the big bangers don`t you Young Tiger ?
Tried a .600NE. Fired it twice.....Didn`t really want to shoot it again. That was about 15 years ago. I`m damn certain I wouldn`t want to try a .700NE nowadays - and I weigh 230lbs.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:28 am

Being a man of limited means, I would try and get the most bang for my buck.

First off, would be the Blaser K95 single shot that was gifted to me but still lies in Germany.

Next would come a CZ452 .22lr with polymer stock, stainless action and a $12.00 Brooks trigger kit.

A Hammerli 208s in .22lr or a FWB AW93 again in .22lr

Perhaps a larger calibre pistol or revolver. Would have to research the subject before making a decision.

A 12 gauge 2 3/4" Browning Auto-5 with a selection of barrels.

Lastly a 12 gauge 2 3/4" double SxS or O/U. Preferably a well maintained second hand one, so I cannot really say it should be this and that.

Since airguns don't come under the firearm classification, I would buy at least a couple of airguns every year - second hand ofcourse.

Mack The Knife

Young Tiger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Young Tiger » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:19 am

Hello Asif and John

Yes Asif your absolutely right about PETA lol ,that must be a very beautiful bag :D

John, Yes i do like Big Bangers, I wanted a 10ga rounded action shotgun because i know it would be unique lol..the biggest i have shot is .577 N.E could feel the pain in my muscles from shoulder to my right side of my chest upto my waist for 2 days lol I cant wait to shoot .600 N.E and .700 N.E , :idea: Can imagine Famous Danish hunter Karl Larsen barefoot with his .600 W.J Jeffery double rifle in africa WOW!

I am not really a scope person , I dont like the idea of a scope on Double rifle i think it spoils the beauty. If its a not a double my choice would be as follows according to preferences

1) Swarovski PH Series
2) Schmidt & Bender
3) Zeiss Diavari

Take care.

cauvery-cowboy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by cauvery-cowboy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Hi Guys,

My choice

Hand gun -
Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Shotguns -
1)Perazzi 12 bore Game gun SCO Grade with sideplates, 28" bbl, interchangeable chokes
2) 12 bore Browning BPS Pump, 3 1/2" Chamber, 28"bbl with interchangeable chokes
Rifles -
1) .22 LR Kimber Super America
2) .25-'06 by Dakota Arms
3) .300 H&H by Dakota Arms
4) 9.3x62 Mauser by Dakota Arms
5) .404 Jeffrey by Dakota Arms

The Browning is for Duck and Geese and the Perazzi is for all the other wing game.

The selection of rifles is my idea of the ideal battery for India or even for Africa.

If wishes were horses.......................

Marc

"I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape." - J.K.M.

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:57 pm

hi,

i would go for the following.

One pair of Royal H&H double rifles in .30 Super and .22 Hi power

One purdy shotgun in 16 gauge

One .22 LR rifle (any good make will do)

One .38 spl revolver by S&W or colt (conceled carry model)

One purdy muzzle loading shotgun in 16 gauge

well now that i have made that list i realize that expect for the .38 pl revolver all the rest of the stuff is already available in india.

:)

rajat