Gun Myths

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
penpusher

Gun Myths

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_myths_ ... ar_culture

To this I would add the view that bullets left in the body can cause lead poisoning.A British Indian Army Jawan,injured in the IInd WW died a couple of days back,with the bullet still in his body.

penpusher

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Gun Myths

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Sawed-off shotguns cannot be fired one-handed, such as in the film Mad Max. The 12 Gauge round is too powerful to be wielded in one hand by most people. This force on an unsupported wrist can sprain the wrist or worse. Additionally, the recoil may cause the shooter to lose control of the weapon.
This gent obviously has not met Mack The Knife yet... - what say Asif? ;) :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:22 pm

It can be done.Especially from a short barrel cylinder bore shotgun,but not by everybody.Mack The Knife,it would appear, being one of the exceptions :lol:

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:40 pm

To support penpusher's first point, I believe Field Marshal Maneckshaw still carries six Japanese machinegun bullet in his stomach.

As for shooting 12 bores with one hand, I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. And it's not as if I have wrists of steel either. The gun used to demonstrate the point was a long barreled single.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Stories a plenty about foreign bodies in the body.usual process is the body, in a protective/ expulsive action, lays a thick coat of material around the foreign object, eventually turning into something thing like scar tissue, encapsulating the foreign object.Then the whole thing lies dormant/forgotten, unless some fresh event precepitates a break up of the original encapsulation and infection.Thats how FM Sam Bahadur Maneckshaw got away with those Jap MG bullets in him.Also, he didnt have ruddy quacks of today, with a propensity to use the missile equivalent of antibiotics to shoot down mosquitos.They made tough MEN those days-Abhijeet, Mack The Knife and I had a pre dinner discussion of the talwars and armours of yesteryears-The user would have to have to have a major iron pumping physique to don/ wear/ use the stuff we see in museums-until Abhijeet's uncle pointed out : given the rural background of the yeomanry of those days, they would have been 'NORMALLY' tough as nails , compared to today's metrosexual-oh oh-grumpy, you do know by now what a metrosexual is? ;)
Another point is , unless ricocheting off some dung(!) a bullet is many degrees sterile from ignition to terminal entry-so infection is the last thing to worry about...
As for the one handed useage of the 12, I've handled 12's one handed many a times and have enjoyed the feeling-Dont have steel prosthesis either.Only thing, with forearms like Mack The Knifes, the shotty gets swallowed in the mitt and he looks capable of harpooning Moby Dick (or duck!) in his Ahab avatar...
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:13 am

As for the one handed useage of the 12, I've handled 12's one handed many a times and have enjoyed the feeling.
Then why did you make such a song and dance about it? Mind you, I did not do it to 'enjoy any feeling' but merely because I had no bloody choice. :mrgreen: Now I am not saying anything more on the subject. ;)

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:43 am

Me? song? sometimes, dance- tough guys dont dance, more so if they have a couple of spinal fractures! ;)
Abhijeet's post had this quote about spraining the wrist and other juicy stuff-thought we must dispel the notion that its only the realm of movies and mad max-we have enough and more one handed 12 shooters.Next trip to0 bangalore, will search in my junk for pics of that S african 12 which I used to shoot one handed .Different kick...
Bset
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:56 pm

It does not take forearms like Popeye's to fire a single barrel shotgun one handed. However firing it repeatedly would lead to some discomfort.Holding it up like a pistol and aiming down the barrel would place the wrist in a position where some people may sprain it when firing the shotgun though.Might also lead to instant realignment of the face if the gun is held too close to the face when fired :lol:

Hitting a target would also be possible when firing a shotgun at a short distance.However this would also become difficult after a couple of minutes of holding it this way,something that engaging multiple targets with successive shots,would require.

Holding and pointing a single barrel shotgun is easier than doing the same with a DB and becomes more difficult with a PA and this increases further with a barrel semi auto,mainly because of the way the weight is distributed and also because of an increase in weight with them.

Firing multiple shots with a semi auto 12 ga,holding it like a pistol and hitting targets every time,would be another matter altogether.Holding two such shotguns and bumping off two baddies,one on the L and one on the R at the same time,is something that is certainly not within the capabilities of anybody.King Kong could do it though.

Perhaps our US based members can try this out and give us some feedback :wink:

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:49 pm

penpusher,
Set up 2 Fig 11 targets at 10m, get 2 sbbl 12's and we'll have the first IFG 'Indian one hand' match!
Actually sounds like a good idea, why not have one of these type instead of the regulation match? I dont think all owners would want to take part in a regulation studded match,? a fun thing like this will certainly bring out the Popeyes and Capt.Ahabs. What say?
Next IFg offline meet can be converted into something like this -in a police range , our guns and ammo, our match and our party!
Best
Axx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:58 pm

And Fortis Hospital will provide the ambulance and free medical care.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:09 pm

Sheez, you saw through my marketing spiel...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:53 am

:mrgreen:

I can provide only one SB shotgun and that one is renowned to kick like a mule. Perhaps the 450/400 would be a better test :lol:

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:28 am

penpusher,

I have tried shooting shotguns and rifles with one hand for fun. Accduracy was terrible, as I fully expected it to be, though with a semi auto shotgun there is practically no recoil to worry about. I did shoot this way with a SxS once a long time ago in India and the top lever bit into the web between my thumb and index finger and it hurt like crazy. I have done this with rifles upto 30-06 and 8mm Mauser and have had no real pain from recoil, and I am NOT fond of recoil as some are.

This would be more a stunt than anything practical, I think. And yes, I wouldn't advise trying it with a 450-400 double for the reasons explained above. While the 450-400 hardly hurts when shot from the shoulder, it might pinch the web of the hand and that could be horribly painful.

Cheers!

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu May 07, 2009 9:28 am

IMHO,with the exception of a few from .22 family, which ever way you hold them, all guns hurt on paper targets only,
Marksman

shadowphaxone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadowphaxone » Thu May 07, 2009 9:27 pm

penpusher wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_myths_ ... ar_culture

To this I would add the view that bullets left in the body can cause lead poisoning.A British Indian Army Jawan,injured in the IInd WW died a couple of days back,with the bullet still in his body.

penpusher

The link is not working as Wikipedia has deleted the article.
There are no limits to a man's curious intelligence if he is determined to succeed...