I'm rendered speechless

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: I'm rendered speechless

Post by dc_newbie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:43 am

Is this a gun store / showroom or someone's personal collection?

For Advertising mail webmaster
gogogubbins
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gogogubbins » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:34 am

And he even has original boxes for many of them. Wonder how many of them get shot. But if its a private collection them very very impressive indeed.
When guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 am

For most collectors, there would be more value if they were "NIB (New In Box), in other words, unfired. At least some of these could well be such guns.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 am

timmy wrote:For most collectors, there would be more value if they were "NIB (New In Box), in other words, unfired. At least some of these could well be such guns.
Why is that so for guns? Any idea? That is unlike collectors of stamps, cars, cameras or whatever. The reason is that any good shop that deals with such an item could then pass itself off as "genuine collector of mint condition guns"

I can understand the box, but unfired? I thought collectors often value the history and the "character" of an item - that is who owned it or who used it or when.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:31 am

I have a Colt Single Action Army 125 year commemorative, and it is NIB -- never been fired. You can look in the cylinder and down the barrel and see this -- the blue is perfect, as is the gold plate. I hold it with rags when I do touch it. I got it from my Uncle and it is quite a treasure to me.

It is brand new, even though it is about 50 years old, and to shoot it would take a good cut from the value.

(that's the original bill of sale in the first picture, by the way!)

Now, if a gun was owned by Wild Bill Hickok, or Wyatt Earp, or some such person, that would have a lot of value, yes. But such guns are rare. Anyone can say a gun was owned or used by someone, but being able to prove it is quite another thing.

Or, if you had a Colt Walker -- there were about 1100, and there are records showing where these went. It wouldn't be hard to figure out by serial number, in such a case, where the gun came from. But if the neighbor of your or my grandfather had some gun, like a Colt Official Police, what would be the big deal about owning it, compared to any other Official Police?

Or, when my Dad was leaving the ship to land at Salerno in Italy in WW2, he went by an officer's cabin and saw a 1911 laying on the table. So he grabbed it. My brother has it. What does that mean to you or anyone else? It is just another 1911. To us, it means a great deal, but not to anyone else. So in that case, a nicer gun has more value.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:01 pm

@ xl_target :
Thanks a million for this post .
Ruger does manufacture good quality guns and they are bang for the buck .
I have a few friends from The States ( e-friends that is ) and they say , " It's never a bad idea to buy a Ruger product "
Good to see that the collector has more revolvers than pistols . Yup I am a revolver guy . :D

And speaking of Ruger Revolvers , my favorite would be The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan with the unfluted cylinder which can chamber and fire the .454 Casull & .45 Colt .

Simply awesome

F-n-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:46 pm

xl_target wrote: Their most well know firearms are the Ruger "mark" series of pistol:
[ Image ]
Ruger Mark III pistol
However, they make a large number of other pistols, both single action and double action revolvers as well as a number of semi-auto pistols.

and their .22 LR rifle
[ Image ]
Ruger 10/22 rifle (one of the most popular .22 LR semi-auto rifles ever made)
They make other bolt action, single shot and semi-auto rifles including and AR-15 variant.
XL,
What about the Single Six and its variants ? :wink:
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 am

I am a great fan of Ruger's six shooters and their #1 rifle.

All photos are from www.ruger.com

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:41 am

The Doc wrote:
xl_target wrote: Their most well know firearms are the Ruger "mark" series of pistol:
[ Image ]
Ruger Mark III pistol
However, they make a large number of other pistols, both single action and double action revolvers as well as a number of semi-auto pistols.

and their .22 LR rifle
[ Image ]
Ruger 10/22 rifle (one of the most popular .22 LR semi-auto rifles ever made)
They make other bolt action, single shot and semi-auto rifles including and AR-15 variant.
XL,
What about the Single Six and its variants ? :wink:
Doc,
The Single Six, Single Ten and Single Nine are great little handguns but you don't see as many of them as you do the Mark series of pistols and the 10/22, All Ruger's guns are a good deal. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 am

timmy wrote:I have a Colt Single Action Army 125 year commemorative, and it is NIB -- never been fired. You can look in the cylinder and down the barrel and see this -- the blue is perfect, as is the gold plate. I hold it with rags when I do touch it. I got it from my Uncle and it is quite a treasure to me.

It is brand new, even though it is about 50 years old, and to shoot it would take a good cut from the value.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Oh Tim,
Very Nice!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:54 am

Very, very impressive timmy, love the red velvet/satin backdrop, perfect foil for such a legend! :D Drool!

Thanks for sharing timmy, Vikram

RUGER says - :irule:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:03 pm

timmy wrote:I have a Colt Single Action Army 125 year commemorative, and it is NIB -- never been fired. You can look in the cylinder and down the barrel and see this -- the blue is perfect, as is the gold plate. I hold it with rags when I do touch it. I got it from my Uncle and it is quite a treasure to me.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

:cpix: Simply Beautiful! Timmy that is one amazing revolver, would feel awesome to hold.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Timmy,

That is a gorgeous looking revolver. A treasure for sure.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 am

Timmy, very nice toy you got there.thanks for shearing with all of us.

Baljit

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 am

timmy wrote:I have a Colt Single Action Army 125 year commemorative, and it is NIB

Is that 150 dollars 125 years ago? This gun is like diamond jewellery. :shock:

A unique family heirloom.