So I went shooting...

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

So I went shooting...

Post by MoA » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Well it was cold about 14 degrees, wet and Windy... cross winds of 20-30 mph so not the ideal weather to shoot in.
Range was 100m... and this was the result... before I decided to call it a day..
All groups are 5 shots... the rifle at this stage needs a new barrel since I have more than 2700 rounds through it.

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: So I went shooting...

Post by HSharief » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:33 am

What rifle ? and based on the size of holes, I'd guess 22 (223?). Were these off hand, or prone or benched ? 2700 rounds is not nearly what would "age" a barrel, I don't think.

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:50 am

Group at 2nd target is very good.I think you can fire another 2000rounds through it before changing the barrel.
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 am

HSharief: The rifle is a .260 Remington.

2700 is more than adequate to shoot a barrel out from being competitive. This rifle would shoot groups a little smaller than the second one consistently. Now while they are not horrible, the rifle will not hold sub-MOA consistently.
Which in my books makes it in-accurate...
For hunting and plinking you could shoot another 2-3K through it... but that is just not what I want from it.
I am just finishing up my ammo stock, before rebarreling.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi MOA,

Good shooting but horses for courses,aye? What make will the barrel be,if I may ask? Any particular reasons for that choice?Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Vikram for the time being I have bought Lothar Walther... one in .260 and one in 6 Norma BR.
Reason: 4+ month wait on a Border, 6+ for a Krieger...
Plus my armourer had the LW's prefitted to the Savage F110... so its pretty much a drop in.

If I do get serious about competition then... probably will build out a custom rig on the Panda action. But am just not comitted to spending that much money on a gun I will shoot as a hobby...

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:26 pm

To me, these groups seem to be erratic that I would suspect fouling to be a big culprit.

I also see the comment you are shooting moly coated bullets? I fell victim to the moly craze a couple years ago but for me it was too much trouble for what it was worth.

Anyway, if you are dead set on a new barrel/caliber all the more to you, but I would suggest a good thorough cleaning would be in order first (I really like the Wipeout bore cleaner) and afterwards run a patch through the barrel when the groups start opening up- looking at your target above I'd choose every 20 rounds for starters.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:35 am

mark,

Fouling isnt the culprit here... throat erosion coupled with gusting winds. Yes the barrel has been checked with a borescope. I do not own one, but my armourer does. Right upto about 2400 I could shoot about 60 rounds through the barrel before the groups would open up. And then a couple of wet patches (KG-1) followed by a couple of dry patches would bring them back into focus.

I have done a lot of research and tests on the various cleaning products on the market.
After trying almost everything available... I have found that the most effective carbon build up remover is GM TEC, or KG 1, followed by the blackpowder residue remover stuff sold as an aerosol in Europe.
The best product to remove copper... hands down by a mile is KG-12, followed by Robala Solo Mil.

If you really want to go down the abrasives route... JB gets the job done.

Almost any other product... Wipeout, BMG 50, Hoppes, et al.. doesnt really work.
Dont belive me... get a bottle of KG 12 and anything else... pick two identical bullets and leave them in the solution for what ever time period you want. See the difference in the wieght of the projectile for your self.
Ditto for the carbon cleaners.. use crusty old cases that have been reloaded several times to see what removes carbon best.

I dont normally shoot Moly, and only tried it out becuase I bought some bullets by mistake.
If there is a friction reduction product I would like to use, its hBN.