11 Bore Pigeon Gun and other stuff

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

11 Bore Pigeon Gun and other stuff

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:41 pm

While exploring Shakespeare’s birth place in Stratford-Upon-Avon, I spotted Monsieur Reynard peeking at me through a window. A closer look revealed that it’s an antique gun room. Not something you expect to see almost exactly opposite to The Bard’s birthplace. The gentleman who owns the place immediately placed me as someone nuts about guns and kindly gave me permission to check out all that caught my fancy. The First thing that caught my attention was this 11 Bore, heard of this bore size earlier but never seen one in flesh, made by Richard Chaplin (Spelling?). It’s a Live Pigeon Gun. Has an extension to the stock. But, it mounts so beautifully and the way it aims is superb. Though a muzzle-loader, there is neither a ramrod attached to the gun nor a provision to attach one.

11Bore
11B1
11B2
11B3

Then the Colt Dragoon and the Belgian 11mm Pin fire revolver attracted me. Soon our talk turned to revolvers and I mentioned a Tranter revolver I saw earlier having the best balance and pointability. The shop owner ran to the safe excitedly and brought out his prized possession with great pride, a Tranter revolver, .36 calibre, in it’s original box and tools. “Crisp as in the day it was made and indexes like a clockwork” were his words and it was. The Dragoon, even if it’s saddle pistol, is better left for Clint Eastwood.

T1
T2

Would anyone know what this revolver and the riffle ,in the other picture, in the middle are?
UR
US

The funny thing was, a pair of middle aged French ladies walked in the middle of our conversation .They bought a small artifact and while making exit, they saw this. One of them asked “Is this to make bread in the chimney”? The answer “I am afraid it is an animal trap” made them actually jump and they rushed out in great haste.

Trap

Best-
Vikram
Last edited by Vikram on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: 11 Bore Pigeon Gun and other stuff

Post by lazybones » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 pm

What an amazing experience Vikram. A treasure trove if there ever was one. Thanks for sharing.
I'm kicking myself. I spent an entire day there once and must have walked right by the place.

Ashok

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:28 am

Damn! Trust good ol' Vickers to dig out a treasure chest like this one... :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. Would it be possible to have a closer look at the 11 bore? I've never seen one before and would much appreciate the opportunity... :)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:55 am

Thanks folks. :D

Abhijeet, I actually have two more such reports with nice pics lined up.But, the software is restricting the size to 480 pixels in height which cuts them to the present size.Any way to over come this?If you let me know, I can resize them to a larger size. Thanks.

Best-
Vikram

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:00 am

BTW I thought I may as well point out... this is the wrong section! We now have a "Guns Misc." section for firearm related posts that don't fit in anywhere else... ;) General ramblings is now purely for OT stuff...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:18 am

Vikram

isnt this shop in the end of the street ( the one which has entrance to the Bard's house) and if you walk on its adjacent to Jesters statue? When I was there they were selling airguns. Its quite likely we are talking about different places but thanks again for great write up.

best

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:19 am

Very painful until I get used to it. Thanks for moving it to the right section. :oops:

Navi, that one is a regular gunshop at the end of the street.This one is primarily an antique shop,bang in front of the Bard's home.

BTW, The Jester's statue has my all time favourite quote. "Foolery sir does walk about the orb like the sun- it shines everywhere". :D

Best-
Vikram

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:47 am

Vikram

Yes that Jesters quote is also one of my favorites not sure whether Uncle William said it " Blessed are the fools"

Looking forward to your other posts.

Cheers

manojjindel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by manojjindel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:08 am

the first gun is double barrel ,m.l. gun with a orange tag is .577 snider rifle blue tag is teen bandi m. l. gun hope its right

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:43 am

Hi Manoj,

That's right.It's a Snider rifle.I totally forgot about this post.

The revolver is very similar to Mortimer Transition Bar Hammer Revolver.more details here

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 2#p1453765

Best-
Vikram