Setting up a private shooting range

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Setting up a private shooting range

Post by hvj1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Hello Major,
You need to do some number crunching, here are some facts which may aid you;
1. Is your project Self Financed?If so then, check out the following;
a) Cost of a 10 lane indoor shooting range is approximately Rs 1.25 lacs per lane. So total cost is Rs 12.5 lacs. This includes civil works, target systems, shooting platform, lighting, fans, one chair per shooter.
b) Cost of 10 IHP air rifles will be approximately Rs 50,000/- (inclusive of transport and taxes)
c) Initial cost of pellet tins (indian) , a cupboard for storage of rifles, blackboard, table, paper targets = Rs 25,000.00
d) Monthly expenses will be in the region of Rs 10,000/- inclusive of sweeper, personnel to man the KOT (handing over rifles and depositing them), electricity bills not including a.c. = Rs 1.2 lacs annually.
e) Registration of club ,complying with local authorities, C.A. fees = Rs 50,000.
f) Total ( a to e) = Rs 15.0 lacs in the very first year.
Breakeven Analysis
a) Breakeven = (fixed costs)/ contribution, where contribution is Membership fee less direct costs.
b) If you plan to charge a member ship fee of Rs 5000/- and your direct cost per member is Rs 500/- (membership card, etc)
c) Then your contribution is Rs 4,500/-
d) Your breakeven number (memberships) = Rs 15.0 lacs/ Rs 4500 = 333 members.
e) Therefore, you need to enroll one member each day.
Please Note, that if anybody wishes to enroll as member paying Rs 5,000/-, the following is the minimum you should provide;
1. Your club has to be affiliated with the State Association, otherwise your members will not be allowed to participate in State/National Level competitions.
2. Coaching:
(a) This is the single most important factor on which you can charge Rs 5000/- membership. Your coaching has to so sound, that people will flock to you.
(b) In order to provide sound coaching, your coach has to fulfill the following conditions;
Shot at least in 5 National Championships with a score of 560+/600 in A.Pistol and 585+/600 in A.rifle.
Many people will advise you that the above is not necessary, you can go ahead and appoint somebody with a score of 500/600 also, this will guarantee one thing. This is a sure shot recipe for screwing up the youngster’s future. For more details, check out some posts I have made on this aspect specifically
The above calculations are made on the following assumptions;
1. Land costs not incuded.
2. A.C. equipment and running costs not included.
3. Imported air rifles and air pistols not included.
4. Breakeven calculations are simplified for your better understanding. A more exhaustive calculation is beyond the scope of this write up, which is more in the nature of 'back of the envelope' costing rather than on a full fledged project report.
Best Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

hvj1 wrote:Hello Major,
You need to do some number crunching, here are some facts which may aid you;
1. Is your project Self Financed?If so then, check out the following;
a) Cost of a 10 lane indoor shooting range is approximately Rs 1.25 lacs per lane. So total cost is Rs 12.5 lacs. This includes civil works, target systems, shooting platform, lighting, fans, one chair per shooter.
b) Cost of 10 IHP air rifles will be approximately Rs 50,000/- (inclusive of transport and taxes)
c) Initial cost of pellet tins (indian) , a cupboard for storage of rifles, blackboard, table, paper targets = Rs 25,000.00
d) Monthly expenses will be in the region of Rs 10,000/- inclusive of sweeper, personnel to man the KOT (handing over rifles and depositing them), electricity bills not including a.c. = Rs 1.2 lacs annually.
e) Registration of club ,complying with local authorities, C.A. fees = Rs 50,000.
f) Total ( a to e) = Rs 15.0 lacs in the very first year.
Breakeven Analysis
a) Breakeven = (fixed costs)/ contribution, where contribution is Membership fee less direct costs.
b) If you plan to charge a member ship fee of Rs 5000/- and your direct cost per member is Rs 500/- (membership card, etc)
c) Then your contribution is Rs 4,500/-
d) Your breakeven number (memberships) = Rs 15.0 lacs/ Rs 4500 = 333 members.
e) Therefore, you need to enroll one member each day.
Please Note, that if anybody wishes to enroll as member paying Rs 5,000/-, the following is the minimum you should provide;
1. Your club has to be affiliated with the State Association, otherwise your members will not be allowed to participate in State/National Level competitions.
2. Coaching:
(a) This is the single most important factor on which you can charge Rs 5000/- membership. Your coaching has to so sound, that people will flock to you.
(b) In order to provide sound coaching, your coach has to fulfill the following conditions;
Shot at least in 5 National Championships with a score of 560+/600 in A.Pistol and 585+/600 in A.rifle.
Many people will advise you that the above is not necessary, you can go ahead and appoint somebody with a score of 500/600 also, this will guarantee one thing. This is a sure shot recipe for screwing up the youngster’s future. For more details, check out some posts I have made on this aspect specifically
The above calculations are made on the following assumptions;
1. Land costs not incuded.
2. A.C. equipment and running costs not included.
3. Imported air rifles and air pistols not included.
4. Breakeven calculations are simplified for your better understanding. A more exhaustive calculation is beyond the scope of this write up, which is more in the nature of 'back of the envelope' costing rather than on a full fledged project report.
Best Regards
This is one of the most informative posts ever on IFG. Hats off to you. :cheers:

Can you give an estimete of skeet/trap ranges. Mods please take note, similar threads etc can be made into 'sticky'.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 pm

I second shooter. Great post, hvj1. :clap:

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Dear Shooter, M24,
Thanks for your kind words, by the way shooter, what does er, sticky mean, I am afraid I am not that hot in computerese.
WIll you give me some time on the Trap & Skeet costing? I am desperately short of time due to pressing business matters, I switch on to IFG, to RELAX and interact with all you guys.
Best Regards

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:35 am

HVJ1,

I am impressed , you sure know the trade , hats off.

Regards
:cheers:
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

bhooshan.parikh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bhooshan.parikh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 am

Dear Sir,

I'm extremely grateful for your inputs and guidance. I already have prepared a business plan for the range but will need to update it and also incorporate some of the points that you've mentioned and I've missed out. As for the investment, it is mainly going to be self-financed but at the same time I also plan to gain some local sponsorship once I've finalised the location.
The most important factor I feel here is the affiliation with the existing Rifle Clubs and the importing of weapons, for which I will have to work out the details separately. I've been to the IHP factory in Ahmedabad already and their weapons are fairly ok to start with.
I'll be in touch. And thank you once agani.

Regards,
-Bhooshan Parikh

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 am

The most important factor I feel here is the affiliation with the existing Rifle Clubs and the importing of weapons, for which I will have to work out the details separately.
Dear Major,
I beg to differ with you, affiliation and imports can be managed through my firends who can save your valuable time and money. The most important aspect is coaching. You will make money, thats a cert. but if your coaching is at a lower priority, then you will be morally responsible for the tears of frustration of aspiring shooters who will rely on you for technical assistance. Please do not be offended by my statement, but I have seen hordes of such clubs, minting money at the expense of shooters. In the past I have disassociated myself from such people and projects and will continue to do so in the future.
Regards
Eternalme
Thanks
:cheers:

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:04 am

Bhoosan ,

there is another thread going on a similar topic, you can also check in there if you can find something for you, and as already mentioned your experience about the efforts can be shared there so that other people can also pick up and no more reinventing the wheel is required.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7940
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Since it is just going to be a shooting range,no need for a license or registration or affiliation.Nor is there a need for a strong room and hence no expenditure on a person to manage it.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:55 pm

WTP
I have clearly mentioned cupboards for storage of rifles, generally one single fellow, looks after the task of sweeping, watchman, distributing targets and pellets and handing over and depositing the rifles. While handing over and depositing, he keeps an eye on the condition of each gun. For example, when you receive a set of IHP rifles, you will find the foresights of some of them just come off, even with the least bit of handling.
In case the Major has plans for expansion, that is to small bore ranges, then a KOT is mandatory but this can be incorporated when said ranges comes up.
Finally affiliation to the District or State unit is a must, so that members can go on to participate in District/State/nationalLevel competitions.
Regards

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:07 pm

hvj1 wrote:WTP
I have clearly mentioned cupboards for storage of rifles, generally one single fellow, looks after the task of sweeping, watchman, distributing targets and pellets and handing over and depositing the rifles. While handing over and depositing, he keeps an eye on the condition of each gun. For example, when you receive a set of IHP rifles, you will find the foresights of some of them just come off, even with the least bit of handling.
In case the Major has plans for expansion, that is to small bore ranges, then a KOT is mandatory but this can be incorporated when said ranges comes up.
Finally affiliation to the District or State unit is a must, so that members can go on to participate in District/State/nationalLevel competitions.
Regards
Al this applies when a range is being set up by a club or association.Since this is what has been happening you are going by that.At the same time,it is possible to set up a shooting range where people can come and shoot their own guns using their own ammo/pellets after paying a fee to use the facility.Any fee of a coach being over and above the entry fee.The people coming to use the range facility need not be members of a club/association.

Sacrilegious thoughts,no doubt :wink: Unfortunately in India there is no such facility.All shooting ranges are owned/run by clubs/associations and are out of bounds to non-members and many times even to members but for a charmed group of gee hazoors or our boys After all,how can competition be allowed to flourish and others allowed a piece of the pie.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm

At the same time,it is possible to set up a shooting range where people can come and shoot their own guns using their own ammo/pellets after paying a fee to use the facility.Any fee of a coach being over and above the entry fee.
Thats the model suggested to the Major, otherwise investment in imported weapons, pellets, will almost double the project cost.
The people coming to use the range facility need not be members of a club/association.
From your experience could you tell me what percentage this group comprises (non members) ?
Sacrilegious thoughts,no doubt :wink: Unfortunately in India there is no such facility.All shooting ranges are owned/run by clubs/associations and are out of bounds to non-members and many times even to members but for a charmed group of gee hazoors or our boys After all,how can competition be allowed to flourish and others allowed a piece of the pie.
I am certain, that you have had such an experience, otherwise you would not have come out strongly against such practices. I have not experienced any such discrimination, personally, still any such experience would be an eye opener to me. And I am aghast if such things do happen.

vkjalan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vkjalan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi.
I request the mods to kindly merge the treads as the interest is common and also the goal. This way we could have a lot more discussion on the issues and we don't need to follow up each one separately.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7940

Also lets sit down and finalize the step by step procedure required to setup the club.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 pm

.All shooting ranges are owned/run by clubs/associations and are out of bounds to non-members and many times even to members but for a charmed group of gee hazoors or our boys After all,how can competition be allowed to flourish and others allowed a piece of the pie.
Very true. They dont want people getting ahed. Some of the clubs dont even give membership to a newbie.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

sukhbir
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sukhbir » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Dear Sir,
I have read your post and all are valuable. i am grateful for that. kindly send me the details about the minimum area required to setting up the indoor shooting range. can i set it on the 2nd floor. i have a play school on the ground floor and my residency on first floor.