Setting up a private shooting range

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
bhooshan.parikh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Setting up a private shooting range

Post by bhooshan.parikh » Mon May 31, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi,

I am very keen to start a coaching centre for the .177 air pistol and air rifles. I was a Major in the Indian Army and have considerable experience in handling weapons/arms and ammunition and am an accomplished shooter myself. Can anyone provide me with guidance on the following topics:
-Legal formalities required for setting up a training centre for air weapons
-Customs/excise requirements for import of air weapons
-Legality for owning/possessing of air weapons
-Security requirements for such a training establishment
-Role of District Rifle Association and the NRAI in this

I'll be grateful to anyone who can help me with the above.

Regards,

Bhooshan
-Bhooshan Parikh

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Setting up a private shooting range

Post by hvj1 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Hello Major,
Laudable objectives, where do you wish to set up the above mentioned center? Once I know that, then we can take it up from there.
Regards

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:42 am

Hello major.
Do post an introduction about yourself. Do tell us more. How long have you been based in denmark. What sort of shooting do you have experience in etc.

Welcome aboard and post often.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:49 am

Hi,
I am very keen to start a coaching centre for the .177 air pistol and air rifles. I was a Major in the Indian Army and have considerable experience in handling weapons/arms and ammunition and am an accomplished shooter myself. Can anyone provide me with guidance - I'll be grateful to anyone who can help me with the above.

Regards,
Bhooshan
bhooshan.parikh

Hi Major Bhooshan,
> Firstly welcome to IFG.
> What a great thought & benefit to all aspiring shooters.
> Where in India (I presume) do you want to start the coaching centre?
Cheers
Brihacharan
PS. I'm from a family with military background - There's a Military Cross, Maha Vir Chakra & Kaiser-e-Hind medals in the family.

bhooshan.parikh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bhooshan.parikh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words for my thought. To give a brief about myself; I was commissioned into the Jammu & Kashmir Rifles regiment in 1999 and have served in North as well as in North East India. I have also been an instructor at the Regimental Training Centre during my service of 8 years. I decided to pursue higher studies and resigned my commission in 2007. I have completed my MBA from Denmark and am currently employed with a large MNC in the field of outsourcing/offshoring in Bangalore, India.

While in the services, I have participated in a number of Div/Corps level shooting competitions. My biggest accomplishments are having captained the Central Command Shooting Team for the NCFSC held at Mhow in Dec 2005 where we came in second. I also had the sole responsibility of establishing two indoor shooting ranges at our regimental centre for air rifle/pistol training.

I am a keen shooter but have not been able to pursue my interests outside of the armed forces. I have always wanted people to learn and respect weapons and strongly believe that shooting sports and imbibe strong values and discipline amongst the younger generation of today, which lacks both of these characteristics. I wish to set up the shooting range ideally in Ahmedabad but Bangalore is also an option that is open.

Any support/guidance in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Bhooshan
-Bhooshan Parikh

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Bhooshan, welcome to IFG. Best of luck on your endeavor. Though I stay in Delhi, still count me in on the support front. hvj1, chief, you can take it up from here.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:34 pm

If you just want to start a shooting range,you do not need a license under the arms act.I am sure you would need a couple of NOC's though.Change of land use being one.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:45 pm

PS. I'm from a family with military background - There's a Military Cross, Maha Vir Chakra & Kaiser-e-Hind medals in the family.
Sir you do realise there are only a handful of people who can make this claim and you have given away your identity. Now all us internet stalkers can stalk you.

Dear Bhooshan JAK rifles was stationed in Kargil in 99, your regiment has done us proud and i salute you. Were you stationed during the war?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Watch out for Sherlock!!

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Welcome aboard Bhooshan. An awesome thought indeed. Being a little selfish here..........stick to Bangalore. I am from Bangalore and would be thrilled if something like this happens in Bangalore. Thanks to a senior IFG member who no longer posts regularly, I have leanrt a wee bit from the material he was kind enough to give me. There is lots more that quite a few of us would love to learn and put to practice but no one around to guide us.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 am

Dear Major,
Check out the IFG SHooting Range thread, if you wish you could join us on this project.
Regards

ganeshnayak
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ganeshnayak » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 am

Hey Hi Bhooshan,
Welcome aboard!
I have been living in Ahmedabad for the last 30 years and am a member of the rifle club here.
I possess a Smith and Wesson 0.32 revolver, a 30-06, model 70(pre64) Winchester rifle and a bolt action
BA Jonas repeater shot gun.
It would be a pleasure to help you out if you are serious about setting a range here in Aapnu Amdavad.
Cheers
GNN

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 am

Bhooshan: best of luck on your plans and welcome to IFG. Please keep us posted on your progress and share in our fun!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm

ganeshnayak wrote:I possess a Smith and Wesson 0.32 revolver, a 30-06, model 70(pre64) Winchester rifle and a bolt action BA Jonas repeater shot gun.
Uhhh???

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:15 pm

welcome.
Keep the NRAI and DRA bandicoots out of this, or you'll fold up in no time.They are about as useful as a 3rd wheel on a bicycle or something ruder, but I cant say it here :P
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."