carrying firearms in train journey

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
bhaskar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

carrying firearms in train journey

Post by bhaskar » Tue May 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi friends,

Just wanted to seek an advice, I have an All India license for my pistol, issued from UP.

Can I carry pistol during my train journey from Delhi to MP? Are their any permissions or declaration to be filled or any intimation to be given to railway authorities or GRP for that matter?

Another issue, can I also carry that in my baggage through while commuting in ‘Delhi Metro’ trains?

I am not too sure if this has been discussed earlier in the forum if yes please post the relevant links, as I was not able to find much info on this.

Thanks
Bhaskar

For Advertising mail webmaster
amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: carrying firearms in train journey

Post by amit888_2000 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:41 pm

hi Bhaskar, I have my self carried my 4 pistols, 1 rifle by train for 2 nights and 3 days, from Delhi - to - Kerela, so there is no problem, while checking, they might ask, for ur license and might check ur barell serial numbers......since we were in a group of 3 shooters, they not even checked......

Also carried from delhi to west bengal 2 times, did not had any problem....u should have all india license, or Travel permit....

now thru metro......i have no experience......planning to go one day....?

))))cheers!!!!

amit

bhaskar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by bhaskar » Tue May 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks for the help Amit.

if some of our Delhi IFG members can through light on carrying arms in Delhi metro, it would be great.

Regards
Bhaskar

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue May 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Why don't you carry the firearm openly(like wearing the holster etc. over your dress)in Metro, give a try and see if anybody dares to say anything. At least you are not doing anything illegal. If you feel, do not have the confidence of doing this alone, you can take some more, similarly armed IFG members along with you.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

ravineet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ravineet » Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Carrying of licenced firearms is permited in Delhi Metro. During the security check you goto tell them that you are carrying a firearm. They will check your license and make entry in a register. They are not fussy about it but only thing is it takes about 10 mins for them to make entry in the register and it seems the CISF jawans are not very well educated. I have carried it in Delhi Metro.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 am

Havent carried guns in India for decades by train. I wouldnt advertise the fact though.
Here in Europe, when I do carry.. I dont advertise either. No special boxes etc.. :cheers:

bhaskar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by bhaskar » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for sharing the experience ravineet.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:11 am

what about airguns- i may have to get my marauder that way( have all supporting documents) since these FEDEX farts are just not sending it by surface mode to UP and ulta threatening to return it back if not collecetd soon-have asked them for a days lease which they have agreed.please reply pronto :?

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:22 am

All India license for my pistol, issued from UP
seems like such license can be issued by Central government only. I would check with police in the place where you are going if this license will be all right for them. better be save then sorry.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 pm

All India licenses for NPB can be issued by State governments, only PB are issued by MHA in Centre.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:32 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:All India licenses for NPB can be issued by State governments
Not any more....refer to the Mar notification by the MHA to all the states and Union Territories.
In fact even renewals for the ALL India have to go to the MHA,unless the meet the crieteria laid down.

edgaringoa
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by edgaringoa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Despite having a license to possess and carry a firearm for self protection within the State or the entire Country we license holders are always in doubt about conducting ourselves in a lawful manner. Some innocent act or genuine error can always be exploited by an authoritative figure for personal gain or put you on the stand just because he wanted to make an example of you. The need of the hour is a small handbook for Arms License holders so that they can refer to the do's and dont's section and remain well within the confines of the Law. I hope some legal luminary embarks on such a task and enlightens us on the correct interpretation of the Arms Act through such a handbook otherwise lots is left to guesswork and the game of chance. I do appreciate and thank our dear members for the sound advice that they have been kind enough to convey through this forum.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:29 pm

i am talking about an airgun carriage not a firearm

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:56 pm

I hope some legal luminary embarks on such a task and enlightens us on the correct interpretation of the Arms Act through such a handbook otherwise lots is left to guesswork and the game of chance.
First of all please do not assume that I am a "legal luminary" since I am replying to your above query. I am just an "ordinary" citizen like anybody. Since there is so much of confusion, ignorance, prejudice and a prevalent mindset against firearms, it is not unexpected to find these mental conditions causing influence in understanding Arms Act 1959, Arms Rules 1962 and myriad of Notifications. Even High Courts are contradicting themselves or making error in interpreting the Arms Act 1959. Hence creating a fail-safe "handbook" for all situations will not be very easy. In my personal opinion various sections of Arms Act 1959 are also unconstitutional, since RKBA is a fundamental right under Part III of Constitution. To understand my point of view you may refer: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 15#p117785
i am talking about an airgun carriage not a firearm
Arms Act does not apply to your air gun if it passes the deal wood test. If your air gun fails the deal wood test, then Arms Act is applicable and you need a license for it just like any firearm. To understand what is the deal wood test, please search this website.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:03 pm

soumyaahuja wrote:IRCTC should have to carry firearms in train because people fully depends on IRCTC when they travel in train so its irctc responsibility to drop them safely to their platform. so if you want to travel with IRCTC then book ticket after (IRTC's login) to enjoy its all facilities.
Your post is not clear about what message it wants to convey. Instead it sounds like a spam bot advertising IRTC "facilities".