All india validity of arms license issued by J&K

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Akhtar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

All india validity of arms license issued by J&K

Post by Akhtar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Dear Sir,
One of my friend recently obtained a NPB .32" pistol license from J&K with all India permit. Now he is residing in Jharkhand state. Inspite of the fact that jharkhand is very disturbed state due to naxals and other anti social elements, highways are not safe, major cities are filled with criminals and murder are very common word in every day news papers, businessman and other rich citizens are soft target. My question is whether his license is genuine for Acquisition/ possession/ carrying and use for self protection/display and can he carry his arms through out India . Can J&K state has authority to issue such arms license. Kindly clear this situation with references and provisions into the Indian arms act.
Thanks
Akhtar

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: All india validity of arms license issued by J&K

Post by nagarifle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 pm

officially issued all India license means just that. it is valid for all India thus he can carry and keep his arms any part of the India.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

I could be wrong but I think he would also need a carrying permit issued by the J&K DC's office.. In addition to enable him to carry the gun out of state and he would also have to report his doing so to the Jarkhand authorities..

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:03 pm

jonahpach wrote:I could be wrong but I think he would also need a carrying permit issued by the J&K DC's office.. In addition to enable him to carry the gun out of state and he would also have to report his doing so to the Jarkhand authorities..

Jonah
i thought that if you had all India license that in it self allows you to take firearm any where in India. right?
if so then why does one need a permit by the issuing office?

agree as per the act one has to report to the local office if outside your home area.
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Am I correct in assuming that your friend was a resident of J&K when he got his Arms License from that state?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Nirvan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nirvan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't know the exact rules of Jammu and Kashmir but with other states , if the Arm Licence is issued in Delhi and if the licencee change his residence to another state . He or She should inform the place from where he or she was issued and also the collectorate of the new place of residence and get it endorsed in his licence .

Akhtar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Akhtar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Dear All
Thanks for your generous reply but still I am looking for more answers that includes references and provisions of Indian arms act which entitles J&K state to issue such licenses. Thanks
Akhtar

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 pm

Every state of the Indian Union can issue an All India license.

pointblank
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pointblank » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi to Akhtar,
and Everybody answering the above question.Fellas,his license is genuine for Acquisition/ possession/ carrying and use for self protection/display and he can carry his arms through out India.I am damm sure about it coz i hold an all india lic. myself from J&K and reside in Rajasthan.The lic. was made when i was in Jammu for a small period of time at my jammu address.After moving to rajasthan i applied for kanpur FGK revolver with my rajasthan address as present address.But u have to send all bills etc to J&k area for administering their approval in the lic.and for updating their records.The ARMS factory wallas do create problems sometimes for lic.s from J&k at time of delivery if one purchases arms from them.Otherwise there is no problem in purchasing arms from gun dealers from any part of the country.Lately,a friend of mine also had some problems purchasing AMMO for his .32 Rev.against his J&K lic.According to the gun dealer it was due to some off the record directive issued by Rajasthan govt.to gun dealers as a safety measure to avoid fake lic.s coming from J&K.And for renewal of lic.s one can obtain an NOC from J&K and submit it to the concerned state/city and can renew his/her lic. there itself.

Regards
HARPREET

mahboob
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mahboob » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:44 am

Dear Akhter Bhai As Salam Alaikum,

There are different systems being adopted by diff states the procedure in Jharkhand is you apply to the D.C/DM he sends it for police enquiry and then for the S.D.M's recommendation then it finally reaches the D.C's office through the Arms Magistrate then the license is issued for Max at state level area .In case of revolver OR Pistol the application goes further to the Commissioner for approval after which only DC issues the license. For ALL INDIA VALIDITY one has to first obtain license for state and then further apply for extention stating grounds for it through the DC then to Commissioner and then to Home Secretary who further forwards it to Central Home Secretary on whose approval and issue of NOC ALL INDIA VALIDITY is granted. Alternately extension Can be applied at the Central Home Ministry and NOC be seeked on issue of which state govt. issues ALL INDIA VALIDITY.

In certain states a diff pattern is followed like I know about Chattiscarh where apart from police enquiry report from Patwari/Tehsildaar is also required and the file goes to the DM then Commissioner then Home Secretary then Home Minister who issues the orders for grant of license if applied for ALL INDIA the file after grant is further sent to the Chief Secretary who recommends and forwards it to the Governor who then approves ALL INDIA VALIDITY and then the file finally comes back down the same way to the DM/Collector who issues the license FINALLY .The demerit there is they only allow 25 cartridges to be possessed any time and max purchasable to 25-50.

So the system is diff everywhere.

Now coming to the point of carrying and shifting anyone who has ALL INDIA license can carry his arms anywhere within the territory any time other than situations when prohibited by law like during LOK SABHA and STATE elections when model code of conduct is in force or in situations when normal law and order is at stake when 144 is imposed and proclaimed by the administration.

But when someone changes his residence that is TR case he has to get his license and arms description entered into the OD register of the concerned D.M or S.D.M and send such information to the issuing authority from where the license was issued. Then he can further get his license renewed and inspection of arms at this new place of residence on basis of O.D entry otherwise he shall have to go back every time for renewal and inspection to the place from where it was ISSUED.

Hope this satisfies you.
Regards
MAHBOOB
RANCHI, JHARKHAND

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:23 am

hi mahboob
nice answer

some would consider it very wrong to write in capitals as it is deemed to be on par with shouting. also it is advisable not to give out personal contact details as this can be read by all.

regards
Nagarifle

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 am

nagarifle wrote:hi mahboob
nice answer

some would consider it very wrong to write in capitals as it is deemed to be on par with shouting. also it is advisable not to give out personal contact details as this can be read by all.

regards
:agree:

amjadkarim16
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amjadkarim16 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am

hello,
Licensing procedure are same in J&K.
All india Validation is not done in J&K anymore now.
Pre 1990 licenses with ALL india validity were issued by any DM after verification of character and criminal record by SSP of that distt.
But now even doing it even for state is a big issue here.
MY uncle who is a civil contractor of Doda distt has applied for the jurisdiction enhancement since last 11 months but no reply.
Now powers of DM are restricted to issuing Distt level validity only.
For jurisdiction enhancement DM send recommendation letter to Home deptt. and home deptt. verifies credentials of the licencee by indepth investigation by Addl. Director General(CID).After recieving the clearance home deptt. send approval to the DM for increasing jurisdiction.
But All India validity is impossible in J&K now.
If you have some old license of you father it can be transferred to you after charcter verification by SSP.This is sole discretion of DM.
I have my fathers license which was issued in 1977 with All India jurisdiction.It is now transferred in my name with same All India jurisdiction.
You can carry the weapons to any part of india if you have All India jurisdiction.No need for any letter by DM or so.
Regards
Amjad

Akhtar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Akhtar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Dear Mehboob bhai , Amzadkarim, pointblank and others answering this Question, Regards
Thanks for guideline and support. Recently I came to know that J&K state and Nagaland are two hubs now a days for arms license seekers. Many agents are also in the market who can help you to obtain license. I don't know about the authenticity of such license but it seems genuine and all the govt seal and stamps are there. Can anybody tell us that how to examine the originality and genuineness of any arms license. what are the important points one should check to find out that given license is 1000% original and authentic . I just want to check my friends license issued by J&K authorities with all India validity.

Mehboob bhai your answer is really nice.
Thanks
Regards
Akhtar

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Akhtar wrote: Recently I came to know that J&K state and Nagaland are two hubs now a days for arms license seekers.
since last two years the DC etc can not issue licensees. the authority to grant license comes from the Home department. once that is given then and only then the DC grant a license and the Home department authority letter serial number is entered into the license.

thus is done to stamp out fake/false license issued. so since around 2007 license issued in Nagaland should be pukka ones.

as for the hub that is now no longer functioning since the office of the DC does not issue licenses. (DC's office can not issue under it own authority anymore)

if any license is issued from Nagaland or for that matter else where, get a confirmation from the issuing authority under the RTI ACT. given details or copy of the license in question.

-- Fri Feb 12, 2010 19:36 --

oh yes in Nagaland its a red booklet type licensee.
Nagarifle