Is crossbow allowed in india ?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Is crossbow allowed in india ?

Post by danish21 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:27 am

Does any one have any idea regarding crossbow is allowed in india or not ? If yes then does it need a liscense ? And from where should one get a crossbow in india ?

Danish

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 am

Bit of a grey area. Do a search for similar topics. It has been discussed before.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:10 am

Check uot the arrow pistol available for Rs. 4,500 available on the corner/outer circle part of F block in Connaught place. Looked nice but not sure of what it can do.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="8209 wrote: Bit of a grey area. Do a search for similar topics. It has been discussed before.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:15 pm

But is this legal to posess ? Do our arms act allow this ?

Danish

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 pm

Since they don't ask for a licence when selling one, I would assume it is legal to own one in India.

Whether it can be taken out of the house and where it can be shot could possibly be another matter.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:33 am

Since they are selling it in a sports shop I'm sure its like a toy. I am sure it won't be too dangerous.

Dev
danish21";p="8275 wrote: But is this legal to posess ? Do our arms act allow this ?

Danish
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is crossbow allowed in india ?

Post by TC » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:12 pm

Its impossible to get a real crossbow through customs. Its considered a dangerous weapon (which is true).. I tried getting a Bernett. Failed miserably. Most pistol crossbows are toys in any case...So people manage to get it through if the darts dont carry steel heads...
The one in CP is probably one of those....

TC

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:03 pm

TC";p="8320 wrote:Its impossible to get a real crossbow through customs. Its considered a dangerous weapon (which is true).. I tried getting a Bernett. Failed miserably. Most pistol crossbows are toys in any case...So people manage to get it through if the darts dont carry steel heads...
The one in CP is probably one of those....

TC
Hi TC, is a crossbow classed under the arms act or any exim policy? or is it only a discretionary assumption that the custom people make? Crossbows are definitely dangerous weapons but not a practical criminal weapon if you get what I mean.

I know two people who have full size crossbows - South African made, 180lbs draw weight, polymer frames etc. They actually got the CBs passed through customs dunno how. Tried them out...nice, but I'd prefer a fire arm any day.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:45 pm

A cross bow would come in the category of 'Arms other than firearms'.No license is required to buy or hold one of these.Air rifles also come in this category.A license for these is only required in an area notified under Section 4 of the Arms Act,1959.

By Notification GSR 992 [No.15/13/59(VII)-Police(IV)] Schedule II has exempted air guns,air rifles and air pistols from all the provisions of the Arms Act,provided that ,"the projectiles discharged from such guns or pistols does not perforate a target 12 inches square formed by deal-wood boards of even grain free from knots planed on both sides and thickness of 1/2" and 1" for air pistols and air guns/rifles respectively......".The test has to be repeated 20 times for each category of projectile and at a distance of 5 feet from the board.

However as per the import policy,the import of this category of arms is restricted.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:32 pm

penpusher";p="8335 wrote: However as per the import policy,the import of this category of arms is restricted.

penpusher
Hi penpusher, I was just curious- what would it mean when an item is restricted as agaist it being prohibited? As per my understanding restricted would mean its not prohibited. That would mean parties and individuals meeting an as yet ill defined criteria could avail of restricted facilities. Or am I failing to see through the hair?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:05 pm

Cottage cheese,

You are right in your assumption.

Sukpreet

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:52 pm

I india i have seen crossbow only in one bollywood movie of amitabh bacchan "Toofan". That was the only weapon amitabh used in that movie.:lol: Since then i was willing to buy one but never found one in india. If any one selling a crossbow then please let me know.

Danish

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:07 am

penpusher you are absolutely right. Crossbow is a grey area....I really appreciate the dedication with which you study the Arms Act and Customs regulations.

Danish I am a dedicated fan of Mr Bachchan.
But Toofan was big flop..
One reason was that gun enthusiasts dumped the movie as the promos kept saying :

"Aaya Toofan,
Haath main BOWGUN
bhaga shaitan..."

Its a fact. Check old posters if you want to

So long
TC

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:20 am

Hey our old indian friend gsmith & co. is selling the cross bow and i found this on their web site. If any one have bought one from them then please give us the review.
http://www.gsmithco.com/archery.htm

Danish

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:43 pm

Danish, thanks buddy. I almost forgot about this thread. Will have to check out. If they are selling the crossbows from Pune then I will get one. Lets see...

Thanks again

TC