"Assault rifle" ownership in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
PersianHK
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by PersianHK » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:26 pm

This subject is quite "touchy" for lack of a better word in the states, but I wanted to know how it is in India. Is it at all possible for citizens to own semi-auto military style rifles like AR15s, HK91s, and AK47s or are they banned outright? I own one of each of those rifles listed, and never had any troubles buying them in my state since there hasn't been any appearance or other ignorance-driven ban on such weapons yet. Do any members here have similar rifles in India? Thanks!

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: "Assault rifle" ownership in India

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:32 pm

PersianHK";p="7525 wrote:This subject is quite "touchy" for lack of a better word in the states, but I wanted to know how it is in India. Is it at all possible for citizens to own semi-auto military style rifles like AR15s, HK91s, and AK47s or are they banned outright? I own one of each of those rifles listed, and never had any troubles buying them in my state since there hasn't been any appearance or other ignorance-driven ban on such weapons yet. Do any members here have similar rifles in India? Thanks!
In one word - Nope.

Closest legal would be the M1 Carbine. That too, new licences are not issued anymore.

You could be a senior officer or a politician in a troubled state and get your self issued a maal khana AK/SLR or whatever under a specially considered government temporary permit (For self defence or whatever they call that)

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Are you kidding...
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

PersianHK
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by PersianHK » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:21 pm

cottage chese";p="7526 wrote:
PersianHK";p="7525 wrote:This subject is quite "touchy" for lack of a better word in the states, but I wanted to know how it is in India. Is it at all possible for citizens to own semi-auto military style rifles like AR15s, HK91s, and AK47s or are they banned outright? I own one of each of those rifles listed, and never had any troubles buying them in my state since there hasn't been any appearance or other ignorance-driven ban on such weapons yet. Do any members here have similar rifles in India? Thanks!
In one word - Nope.

Closest legal would be the M1 Carbine. That too, new licences are not issued anymore.

You could be a senior officer or a politician in a troubled state and get your self issued a maal khana AK/SLR or whatever under a specially considered government temporary permit (For self defence or whatever they call that)
Ah even M1 Carbines :| that's too bad. What about clip fed M1 Garands?

Pran, no joke, semi-auto only "assault" rifles like FALs, AKs, HKs, and ARs are still legal in most states in the US, which is why I ask. That is quite unfortunate.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:22 pm

Well...

No, I'm not even going into this! :roll:

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:15 am

The only assault rifle widely in circulation in India today is the US Army surplus/Gift, Bolt action Springfield--.3006 caliber. Along with some converted Garands (B/A firing only). Very few people have true SLR's namely M1 carbines and Garands, mostly connected people and old armywallas who have owned guns pre-198?.

US army surplus/gift, Semi-autos M1 carbines and Garands, were widely owned by Army-wallas in the 60's and early 70's.

More than half were not on proper licences. Entered as .30 springfield and other creative names, on ordinary NPB rifle licences. This was done by conniving DM office Babus.

Come the 80's lot of SLR licences were cancelled, as well as these NPB Licence/SLR owners busted.
Very few(almost none) new SLR licences have been issued since.

The only Assault Rifle we can own and enjoy legally in India today, is the Softair Kind.

Satpal

PersianHK
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by PersianHK » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:40 am

thank you for the info :wink: