I wonder what calibre these cartridges are in...

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

I wonder what calibre these cartridges are in...

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:01 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 638287.cms

Reminds me of the time when someone planted a whole box of live .22lr rounds in JR's hand luggage at Singapore's Changi airport and the entire Indian squad was surrounded by gun wielding police.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:13 am

Mack The Knife,

They were 7.62x39 Kalashnikov rounds.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:16 am

mehulkamdar wrote:They were 7.62x39 Kalashnikov rounds.
Oh dear. That's the very last round one wants to be caught with these days.

Any more details?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:24 am

Mehul/Mack The Knife,
That's 'major' :roll: hardware this software man was packing!
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:36 pm

:mrgreen:

Hate to be in his place right now, assuming he has been framed.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:30 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:assuming he has been framed.
I wonder why somebody wanna frame a poor little software guy and that too with 7.62x39 Kalashnikov rounds :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:40 pm

kanwar76 wrote:
Mack The Knife Bana wrote:assuming he has been framed.
I wonder why somebody wanna frame a poor little software guy and that too with 7.62x39 Kalashnikov rounds :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder
A few years back, a couple of my friends shifted to an apartment recently vacated. On one of the attics they found about half a dozen of spent cartridges. They thought they were cool and kept them as show pieces. When they were shown to me I immediately recognized them to be the 7.62 x 39 AK-47 rounds made in Czech. The first thing I did before I throw them into the manhole and chide my friends not so gently was to make a scanned copy of a couple of the shells. I still have the scanned pictures with me. Subsequent probing about the previous occupants revealed that a small party of Police chaps used to live there. How irresponsible they could be! My friends in all their innocent ignorance could easily have fallen victims to the possession of those spent shells.

Bottom line, one can come into possession of illegal things without their knowledge in myriad ways. One can't say for sure. If that man is innocent, luck be with him. :(

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:57 pm

I am not sure if spent shells could be considered illegal.

I am pretty sure they are not illegal in the USA. They sell them at gun shows all the time (to make keychains, paper weights, etc.)

After all a spent shell is nothing but a piece of brass (no primer, powder, or lead).

Or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Naren

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 pm

axp817 wrote:I am not sure if spent shells could be considered illegal.

I am pretty sure they are not illegal in the USA. They sell them at gun shows all the time (to make keychains, paper weights, etc.)

After all a spent shell is nothing but a piece of brass (no primer, powder, or lead).

Or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Naren
Possessing spent shells is a crime,too. The question is if they are fired, to what purpose? A crime could have been perpetrated. If you are a license holder, no problems. But, unlicensed and possessing spent or live cartridges? It is a crime as far as the law goes.

Not mean to be high sounding or partronising, anyone reading these posts, please , please , knowingly or unknowingly, don't hold onto any guns or ammo if you are not licensed to posses them.So easy to get into trouble and so difficult to get out of.

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:10 am

Gentlemen,

The case gets curiouser and curiouser - the arrested passenger happens to be the son of a judge and he now seems to have said that he thought the ammunition was for an antique Winchester rifle and that he wanted to sell it in the US and make some money. If this is, indeed, true (and it may well be, considering how little many in India know about guns) he is extremely lucky to have been caught by the Indian police before departure and not on arrival here by the DHS. What a bloody fool!

Vikram's words deserve to be carved in stone. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse - if something looks suspicious, one should either hand it over to the relevant authorities or stay the hell away from it. Despite all the red tape it is still possible to enjoy guns and shooting in a legal and safe manner. We do not need to get involved in anything even faintly suspicious or questionable. Breaking the law is never worth it.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:50 am

mehulkamdar wrote:if something looks suspicious, one should either hand it over to the relevant authorities...

I always knew these techie types were a bit soft in the head, eh Inder? :mrgreen: Sell two antique rounds in the U.S. indeed!

Even if that were true can you imagine what a laugh it would have been had he walked into a U.S. gun store and produced his two rounds with a flourish with Dollar signs dancing before his eyes and the owner telling him to stick them where the Sun doesn't shine or more likely calling the coppers? :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:41 am

"Vikram's words deserve to be carved in stone. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse - if something looks suspicious, one should either hand it over to the relevant authorities or stay the hell away from it. Despite all the red tape it is still possible to enjoy guns and shooting in a legal and safe manner. We do not need to get involved in anything even faintly suspicious or questionable. Breaking the law is never worth it."
Would like this quote as reinforcement every few posts!

Res ipsa loquitor.
Best
Axx[/quote]
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:03 pm

I heard of a elderly lady from Germany who landed in Mumbai from Frankfurt. She went through security to board a Jet airways flight the next day. The jet airways security found a rifle cartridge in her bag. She had borrowed her grandsons bag (he had a permit/licence for the rifle).

I gather she got into a fair amount of trouble...

sat