Taxidermy import into India.

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Taxidermy import into India.

Post by R-Dhillon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 am

Hey,
I was thinking of purchasing a deer trophy here in UK. Is it legal for me to bring it back to India? If it is, what do I do after buying it and can I bring it in my check-in luggage?...
Regards,
R.Dhillon.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Taxidermy import into India.

Post by penpusher » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 am

You can bring in a trophy from any country that is a signatory to CITES.The trophy should be accompanied by all the documents that would prove it to be a legally shot animal.You will have to declare it a the the customs.I am very sure that it would be detained and cleared on a later date.

All the best.
Last edited by penpusher on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 am

I can bring a deer mount right and just put it in my checkin luggage...with the documents.

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 am

In my knowledge, I think you require an import license from DGFT. Dont just bring it in in your check in baggage.It will surely be detained and they will ruin it by the time you get a permit.

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Shooter (a member from UK) had done some research in this regard, try sending him a PM.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Hello,
To the best of my knowledge, even though a CITES permit is required for the trophy to be cleared, there seems to be a restriction on what animal trophies are legally allowed in India. I have heard that any animal that is on the banned list (pretty much every animal in India) will not be allowed. For instance, since elephant, leopard and lion are there on the banned list in India, they will not be allowed even if shot/acquired in Africa and accompanied by a CITES permit. So the trick, it appears, is to find an animal that is not available in India. I know that the african elephant is different from the Indian elephant, so will that be allowed ?

Now the contradictory part, again heresay, one erstwhile zamindar's descendent in Hyderabad whose name I am reluctant to mention (since I have no confirmation) has legally imported trophies of the Big Five and others in the mid 80's/90's.
So other than contributing the above rumour/talk I have nothing much useful to add today.
Regards,
Anand

sol
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sol » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:32 pm

R-Dhillon's re-entry to India seems destined to be full of incident. A large stuffed animal will be irresistable to the custodians of law and order. On the other hand it could turn out to be the most original diversion ever employed:)

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:05 pm

As far as i know importing or bringing trophy to india has been banned from 1st March2009.i will confirm it with a friend who had been to SA for hunting safari & brought some beautifull trophies.

Regards
Raj
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

Rishi Rajanala
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rishi Rajanala » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 am

Hi,
I've bought a taxidermy leopard skin rug that was shot in india in 1937 from an auction in UK. Is it legal for me to have it shipped to India or will I face any problems?
Regards,
Rishi.

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

R-Dhillon wrote:Hey,
I was thinking of purchasing a deer trophy here in UK. Is it legal for me to bring it back to India? If it is, what do I do after buying it and can I bring it in my check-in luggage?...
Regards,
R.Dhillon.
I have had a very keen interest in procuring a trophy out of taste but it doesnot seem to be an average job .
Out of my past research as far as i remember i can highlight some points.
1: If some one wants to get a trophy he needs a permit to hunt the animal from Chief Wildlife warden.
2: Then permit from DGFT to bring in the taxidermy item
3: Permission from CITES body to bring the same trophy.
4: The animal should be legally hunted and certificate of vetenary doctor and other clearances for export from that country.
5: The animal should be of a species that is not protected under list of CITES and it should not resemble any indigenous species of India.
6: Then if you are able to surpass all this then Chief wild life warden puts a mark and issues a certificate to keep the same.

This is all i know

Ajaybir S. Sandhu
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

dada_yuvraj_13
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dada_yuvraj_13 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:39 pm

E-1317-1973-0085-58456.pdf
CITES FAQ(1).pdf
GSR 198E.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dada_yuvraj_13 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best Wishes & Regards
Rajkumar Yuvraj Singh Dada (जाज्वल्य,छत्तीसगढ़)

dada_yuvraj_13
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dada_yuvraj_13 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:41 pm

Ajaaybeer wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm
R-Dhillon wrote:Hey,
Regards,
R.Dhillon.
I have had a very keen interest in procuring a trophy out of taste but it doesnot seem to be an average job .
Out of my past research as far as i remember i can highlight some points.
1: If some one wants to get a trophy he needs a permit to hunt the animal from Chief Wildlife warden.
2: Then permit from DGFT to bring in the taxidermy item
3: Permission from CITES body to bring the same trophy.
4: The animal should be legally hunted and certificate of vetenary doctor and other clearances for export from that country.
5: The animal should be of a species that is not protected under list of CITES and it should not resemble any indigenous species of India.
6: Then if you are able to surpass all this then Chief wild life warden puts a mark and issues a certificate to keep the same.

This is all i know

Ajaybir S. Sandhu
Right
And last process is license from your state government department of forest
Best Wishes & Regards
Rajkumar Yuvraj Singh Dada (जाज्वल्य,छत्तीसगढ़)

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:05 pm

On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

LouisHowe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by LouisHowe » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:51 pm

When bringing the deer trophy into India, you'll need to declare it to Indian customs authorities. You may be required to present documentation, such as permits, certificates, or licenses, to demonstrate that the trophy was obtained legally and complies with Indian wildlife regulations. If you plan to bring the deer trophy in your check-in luggage, you'll need to ensure that it is properly packaged and protected to prevent damage during transit. Additionally, you should check with your airline regarding any restrictions or requirements for transporting wildlife products. These regulations are never specific, some people and airlines may accept it, but someone can reject you.