Exemption from depositing Arms during elections

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Location: Yamunanagar, India, My bike, wherever I keep my bag.

Re: Exemption from depositing Arms during elections

Post by rahul_does » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:43 pm

hornet wrote:DURING PUNJAB elections it is going to be a mandatory deposit or u r lic. maybe cancelled.i am afraid the way they treat u r weapons after deposit is quite painfull situation . better buy good gun covers .use desi ones fancy ones get stolen in police stations too. better deposit with a gun dealer

I was unable to find the news item where in it reported that the roof of the maalkhana was drilled into and many many such arms were stolen, somewhere in Punjab, during the last Parliamentary elections.

Meanwhile, enjoy this one.

I still get nightmares about it.

I am going to get an exemption before the next elections.

By Hook or by CKOOR. (sic)

Ra.
Time heals many wounds and time wounds many heels.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Unless you belong to any of the three suspected category of persons, mentioned for review in the Election Commission's order, you do not really need to deposit or get exemptions. This matter has been explained in detail in the following posts:

1. http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 92#p158088
2. http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 45#p130560

It is another matter that most people instead of understanding the matter or approaching court, start complying with legally baseless orders of police.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rahul_does » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
Unless you belong to any of the three suspected category of persons,
It is another matter that most people instead of understanding the matter or approaching court, start complying with legally baseless orders of police.
Sir,

Thanks a tonne for the order. I shall print it. How could I be so nincompoopish as to NOT know the same, already!

Sheepishly yours,

Ra.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Sir you are welcome and it is your humbleness. We all are in process of learning and knowing new things all our life.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rahul_does » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Here is the court order, in case it is not pasted already.

http://www.indiankanoon.org/doc/1364465/

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

There are at least three court orders including the one mentioned in above link. They are pasted in this post http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 92#p158088

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

i got a call from police station to deposit the rifle due to forthcoming elections. As this was the only info I got from their end (it was more of a advertisement call, same pitch and tempo :D ), and the reason was panchayat elections.

There are few things I want to know (lot of info and questions already answered already in the forum, but this is more specific to Hyderabad and Andhra Pradesh). Can i deposit my rifle at the gun store? I am worried about the treatment my darling will get from the local police. So I plan to deposit with my local gun shop.

And being a member of NRAI member will give me a reason/advantage for not depositing. I have a .22 rifle?

Thanks
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 pm

yes to both, if you have a NRAI id etc download the ECI examption from the NRAI wedsite, if they do not accept that then deposit at dealers and take the proof to the police
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks- nagarifle.

I have a few more question in mind about depositing. I do not have a hard gun case and I am worried about the accessories (bolt, scope, magazine etc) being replaced with local made. Can I retain the bolt, magazine before deposit?

Any possibility that the retainer on my arms license is a member of NRAI or state rifle association gets an exemption to retain the gun during election?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm

if they are asking for the rifle only then why take the trouble to give more then asked for?

every one who has membership to NRAI or state has the same rights unless their is a crime case lodged aganist the holder
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Dad's license is endorse with a DBBL/Rifle and I own a .22 rifle now. If he make me as retainer, and I am a member of NRAI.. can we still get an exemption from depositing? And what alternatives are possible in my case. Thanks

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
Unless you belong to any of the three suspected category of persons, mentioned for review in the Election Commission's order, you do not really need to deposit or get exemptions. This matter has been explained in detail in the following posts:

1. http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 92#p158088
2. http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 45#p130560

Please read the Election Commission's order. If for some reason, you still feel that "exemption" is really required, then you may do as desired by you and see what they say next. Are retainers covered under "exemption" order for NRAI? If no then how can retainer claim exemption?

SYED833
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SYED833 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Just got a call from the police station reg,deposit of weapon for panchayat election.I was shown a copy of the order..Only a two line order from SP of police,to all police stations,stating to collect all weapons and deposit in district head quarters.There is no mention as to when they will return my weapon or under which act they are asking for deposit..
Can a SP do that?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 pm

SP cannot do that. Due process of law under Arms Act 1959 has to be followed. Arms license has been issued by following the provisions for due process of law under Arms Act 1959. Similarly there is provision for due process of law for deposit of firearms under Arms Act 1959. It has to be followed. You may read the High Court judgement in Writ Petition No. 14434 of 2007 Uma Kant Yadav Versus State of U.P. in this link http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 92#p158088

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Panchayat Elections in my area are yet to finish, may be a week more. House break out have taken a toll. Almost 8 houses have been robbed in 3 instances in a week's time.

Next year there will be general elections- center and state.May be I have to write to the election officer, DM and the SP about depositing arms during the election period. Sure to get a big NO NO, however this time I decided to fight. If its not now, it could be never.