What if...

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

What if...

Post by dev » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:58 pm

Okay this must have happened to a few people at least but I am wondering if it happens to me what I should be doing.

Supposing in your village house you found a brace of shotguns that belonged to gandpa and he had a license for them that had expired in say the early eighties.

What are your options besides walking away and leaving them as you found em? Supposing you have a rifle license and these were say a 12 bore and something else.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:26 pm

Best option would be to inform the licensing authority about the gun, deposit it in a gun shop, get a license made for the bore in ur name & then get it transferred it in ur name.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: What if...

Post by Sujay » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Going by your track record, I guess you will take the route suggested by Khastriya. 8)

For me, I shall keep one and sell the rest.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 pm

Dev,
There is a post from Abhijeet on similar situation which my family is facing. As suggested earlier the gun needs to be deposited with a gun house and Abhijeet's recommendation was to have relevant family members notarize and state that this gun can be transferred to you as a heirloom / inheritance and then you can apply for the lic. FYI

Regards

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:35 am

Sounds Good Dev, Congrats and go for it!
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:06 am

:lol: Of course it hasn`t happened yet has it Dev ? :wink:
Can`t help wondering what the `something else` might be.........You`ll have to let us know when you find the guns...................... :lol: :wink:
Good on yer mate.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 am

What Dev has described is not that uncommon an experience.

One stash that came up a few years ago included a Midland Gun Company 12 bore SXS hammer gun, a locally made muzzle loader, a Mossberg .22lr rifle and an old BSA Airsporter air-rifle.

Understandably, all the guns barring the Airsporter were thrown into the river.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:17 pm

Well you caught me Grumpy okay six years ago in my native place a cousin reminded me about Grandpa's shikar history. So I said yes I had been conned by him for many years about his revolver which my uncle found after a 20 year search and now owns.

And then the guy said that he knew that two shotguns were lying inside so and so almirah in the shillong bungalow. They were a 12 gauge and a .410. English made by a Manchester gun maker family. So I was tempted but have walked away from the scenario. One uncle will probably follow through.

I don't even the difference between box lock and side lock so I'll soothe my pain by writing about my Qb's performance at the range.

Regards,

Dev.

Grumpy";p="5012 wrote: :lol: Of course it hasn`t happened yet has it Dev ? :wink:
Can`t help wondering what the `something else` might be.........You`ll have to let us know when you find the guns...................... :lol: :wink:
Good on yer mate.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:38 pm

A Manchester gunmaking family ? Stensbys by any chance ?
The guns are almost certainly boxlocks - is the .410 a side by side double barrel ? If it is grab it quick - .410 doubles make ridiculous money !
Stensbys still exist but are owned by a pair of brothers with a name other than Stensby. A really nice old-fashioned gunshop with the proprietors being gloriously eccentric - very pleasant and very helpful though.
A lot of the guns hanging on the walls of the shop are not for sale - they are the owners `pension fund` !
The guns will be Birmingham made trade guns made for Stensby ( if they are Stensbys that is ) but will be good quality. Stensbys often had the guns made for them very nicely engraved.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:41 am

Talking about "stumbling upon" long forgotten guns - a dear friend who is a conservation architect by profession, was heading a palace renovation project for an ex-Maharaja (I won't name who, just that this was somewhere in Punjab).

One day, a room that had been locked for years (probably more like decades), was unlocked by him, as part of this renovation project - and he was stunned! It was full of swords, lances and guns of all descriptions - matchlocks, flintlocks, shotguns, rifles... even small cannon! Anyhow, he quietly relocked the room, told the retainer who had accompanied him to inform the owner - and then he gave me a call... Knowing full well that I would be kicking myself for not being there to witness this grand collection! ;)

Anyhow, AFAIK the room is still there as are the guns - still locked & "almost" forgotten... A small fortune to be made from the stuff in that room, if the owner ever gets around to liquidating his treasures that is...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:22 am

It is a side by side but I don't know the condition. I will check up the name by today evening after calling my uncle. But I'm not sure about getting a license for a .410 . Isn't it a prohibited bore over here from what I recall about the.303 muskets that the cops use. I will however see what I can do legally to grab it now that you tell me that it may aid my piggy bank.

Regards,

Dev
Grumpy";p="5054 wrote: A Manchester gunmaking family ? Stensbys by any chance ?
The guns are almost certainly boxlocks - is the .410 a side by side double barrel ? If it is grab it quick - .410 doubles make ridiculous money !
Stensbys still exist but are owned by a pair of brothers with a name other than Stensby. A really nice old-fashioned gunshop with the proprietors being gloriously eccentric - very pleasant and very helpful though.
A lot of the guns hanging on the walls of the shop are not for sale - they are the owners `pension fund` !
The guns will be Birmingham made trade guns made for Stensby ( if they are Stensbys that is ) but will be good quality. Stensbys often had the guns made for them very nicely engraved.