Can a foreign national apply for an Indian Arms licence?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by primerwalla » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:41 am

Hi Guys,

Went through the KB, but still I don't have a clear answer. I am a Canadian citizen, I would like to apply for a firearm license in India before I go there next year with my firearm. Where do I send the application form?

Anybody else who has done this?

thanks in advance and I apologize if this question has been asked earlier.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:44 am

hi primerwalla

u can download the form from the download tab. or from the arms licence issuing office.

as for being a frangi do not worry about it , u do not have to be an Indian citizen, just go for it. man lead the way for rest of the frangi community in India.

as any one done this? yes i have been told from a good source, that frangi have got licences.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:38 pm

primerwalla";p="44873 wrote:Went through the KB, but still I don't have a clear answer. I am a Canadian citizen, I would like to apply for a firearm license in India before I go there next year with my firearm. Where do I send the application form?

Anybody else who has done this?

thanks in advance and I apologize if this question has been asked earlier.
If you are going to India for a short visit - then you need to apply for a temporary arms license by contacting your local consulate. These used to be issued to hunters, but since hunting has been banned the applicants for these are typically visiting target shooters.

If you are planning to move to India long term, then AFAIK you will have to wait till you move to India and then apply for a license by submitting an application to your local licensing authority. If you are bringing a firearm with you on transfer of residence - this will be confiscated by the customs on arrival, pending you getting a valid arms license.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by primerwalla » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks. But, what is the proof that you are going to stay forever? Bring lots of suitcases?:D If I leave after six months do I have to take back the firearm with me? My parents are still living in India and I would like to leave the firearm with them if possible. I KNOW that I can't transfer the firearm AT ALL.

By the way, is a revolver considered "different" from a semi-auto pistol? Can I bring a revolver,semi-auto, shotgun and rifle? Or just revolver OR semi-auto+shotgun+rifle? :wink:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 pm

hi mate
if on TR then its just one item, and one only.

revolver and semi auto pistol are consider the same. make sure its a NPB one.

if u want you can have ur parents on licence but check out the legal section regarding this.
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm

primerwalla";p="44917 wrote: Thanks. But, what is the proof that you are going to stay forever? Bring lots of suitcases?:D If I leave after six months do I have to take back the firearm with me? My parents are still living in India and I would like to leave the firearm with them if possible. I KNOW that I can't transfer the firearm AT ALL.

By the way, is a revolver considered "different" from a semi-auto pistol? Can I bring a revolver,semi-auto, shotgun and rifle? Or just revolver OR semi-auto+shotgun+rifle? :wink:
Read up on the Transfer of Residence rules - not sure but I believe you can avail of them if you are moving back for a minimum period of 2 years out of which you need to spend more than 6 months each year in India.

You can bring back ONLY ONE firearm per person - furthermore you MUST HAVE held the firearm against a license for a period of NOT LESS THAN one year PRIOR to your moving to India.

You CANNOT transfer/ sell/ gift the firearm for the period of your NATURAL life... it's quite specific on this count. If you want to simply gift them a gun, it may be less hassle to just buy them an IOF revolver.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by primerwalla » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:26 am

Does the TR rules apply to non-citizens? The KB talks about returning citizens. Is it applicable for foreigners?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by Sakobav » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:26 am

TR is for Indian Citizens as far as I know

Best

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:03 pm

hi
my understanding is that its same rule applies to the frangi which applies to Indians.

please check out the customs website. in essence the requirement is the same as Indian and frangis

if one is not sure then the best thing would be to check with the Indian High Commission and get it in writing.
Nagarifle

GNR
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

gun licence for foreign citizens

Post by GNR » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi friends,
I am a canadian citizen having a dual indian citizenship as well.I am settled in India for the last 2 years and plan to stay here permanently.
I would like to apply for a gun licence in india but am not sure of the laws.
Kindly guide me whether this is possible or not.If yes what is the procedure.
Thanks...GNR

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: gun licence for foreign citizens

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 pm

The Arms Act is concerned with your place on "normal residence" and not your citizenship. Therefore if you are residing in India on a valid work visa, immigrant or other similar status which allows you to legally reside here you would need to apply for an arms license same as everyone else...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

dhirajb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

New to the board - US Permanent Resident - Indian License?

Post by dhirajb » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 am

Hi All,

First of all thank you for putting on such an awesome forum togehter! My name is Dhiraj, 30 y old male. I am a permanent resident in US and an Indian Citizen. I visit India (Pune) every year but I live and work in US (Seattle). Since I was very young I am interested in firearms. Although I have been to shooting ranges here in US I do not own a gun yet. I consider myself a novice. I am interested in firearms license in India, is it even possible for me to apply?

I have some property in India (near Pune) in my name not sure if that helps in the application process.

Appreciate your response..

Thanks!

Dhiraj

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: New to the board - US Permanent Resident - Indian License?

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:19 am

Speaking theoretically, as per law answer seems yes, but about practical difficulty in obtaining one, only experienced board members can tell.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:03 pm

hi
check out the RKBA thread and legal thread as this question and many others has been asked before. so in brief one must be a resident in India to get a firearms license.
Nagarifle

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi Dhiraj,
I am also in US with Indian citizenship. I have gun license in India. Theoretically you are eligible to get license but it will not be easy unless you have some connections. It takes lot of time to get one.
Cheers
Mandeep