Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by varunik » Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

mundaire wrote:Varunik, NOW rifle club membership will not help you in any way getting an ALL INDIA endorsement. If you read the relevant thread(s) under the RKBA section (info also posted on http://www.gunowners.in for e.g. see - http://gunowners.in/media/5-ministry-of ... -vips.html ), you will find out that on 31st March 2010 the Ministry of Home Affairs issued an (illegal) directive to all State Home Deptt.'s ordering them to adhere strictly to the new Arms Policy formulated by the Min. of Home Affairs. As per this directive, the State Home Deptt. may only issue ALL INDIA endorsements for limited categories of persons. Besides sitting MPs, Ministrers, IAS officers etc. there is a category for "National level shooters", this is interpreted by most as a shooter who has participated in at least one national level competition (GVM or NSCC). All other special case/ deserving ALL INDIA applications are to be forwarded by the State Home Deptt.'s to the Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi - who will then decide upon them based on merit (read as next to impossible, unless you are related to the Prime Minister).
UPA is surely the MOST impractical goverment till date.
I miss Vajpaayee-Kalam govt.
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

For Advertising mail webmaster
shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Sun May 06, 2012 1:23 pm

mundaire wrote:Varunik, NOW rifle club membership will not help you in any way getting an ALL INDIA endorsement. If you read the relevant thread(s) under the RKBA section (info also posted on http://www.gunowners.in for e.g. see - http://gunowners.in/media/5-ministry-of ... -vips.html ), you will find out that on 31st March 2010 the Ministry of Home Affairs issued an (illegal) directive to all State Home Deptt.'s ordering them to adhere strictly to the new Arms Poli :evil: cy formulated by the Min. of Home Affairs. As per this directive, the State Home Deptt. may only issue ALL INDIA endorsements for limited categories of persons. Besides sitting MPs, Ministrers, IAS officers etc. there is a category for "National level shooters", this is interpreted by most as a shooter who has participated in at least one national level competition (GVM or NSCC). All other special case/ deserving ALL INDIA applications are to be forwarded by the State Home Deptt.'s to the Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi - who will then decide upon them based on merit (read as next to impossible, unless you are related to the Prime Minister).
:shock: :( :evil:
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

lakecity_shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lakecity_shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Dear all,
IS the application form for arms available online ? i searched but unable to get .

Could someone send a link..........i need to make corrections on the first page of the form.!
"Defeat is a choice so as victory,You are never beaten till u decide"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Just search "arms license application form" on internet.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 am

http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=538
has one or used to have one
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Paritosh Khanvilkar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Paritosh Khanvilkar » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi,

Considering that I stay in Mumbai, & have a farm in Mandangad, Ratnagiri; where should I apply for a license for a Shotgun/Rifle ? in Mumbai or Ratnagiri?

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Since you are resident of Mumbai, you should apply to the Mumbai Police for grant of arms licence. You may mention the other places while justifying your need for having a firearm.

hardeepsinghbedi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hardeepsinghbedi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Dear Abhijeet,

I need to know the link or column in Arms act which I can show to DC office for getting two .22 rifles on one arms licence. I read you reply before and you said person can keep even 3 weapons of same caliber. I read arms act but was not able to find the right reply. Please help.
With Regards,

Hardeep Singh Bedi

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 pm

if it aint there, that means there is no restriction for the same!
instead do an rti and ask them to provide you with a copy of the document which states that you cant hold two .22s on a single license
To Excellence through Diligence.

tandavbaba
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tandavbaba » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:03 am

proving his/ her stated "NEED" for a gun
everybody talks about it but what should be the precise, flawless, inavitable, undeniable and LOGICAL reason if we just want it for sports shooting?
that topic is never discussed....... :(
we all know how hard it is to obtain a firearm license in india..thanks to ......
indian constitution
:deadhorse:
which never changed after 1857..ha ha ROTFL
so what are going to be the key points that are necessary to highlight in that application.......or is it true that we can only get it by bribery!........ :(
It's time to burn in HELL!!!!!!!

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am

You do not have to prove any "need" to get an arms license since it is a matter of your right to get an arms license. You can mention that so called "need" as "self protection". If you are a member of some rifle club, you can mention it as "sport". So long one is not offending Section 9 and 14 of Arms Act 1959, there is no reason why he should not be issued an arms license. For detailed understanding please read the following link http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 08#p161218
so what are going to be the key points that are necessary to highlight in that application.......or is it true that we can only get it by bribery!........ :(
It is untrue that bribery is required to get an arms license. It is only those people who are ignorant or do not apply their mind to understand the provisions of Arms Act 1959, they try to run here and there or grovel around or resort to bribery. Bribery of any kind is strongly discouraged on this forum. If you search this forum, you will find most of the questions are already discussed. If you have any specific question or point that has not been already discussed please feel free to ask in appropriate thread.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

tandavbaba
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tandavbaba » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Dear Sir,
I greatly appreciate your reply.....and will concider it as an advise too. :)
If you are a member of some rifle club, you can mention it as "sport"
I am from Jaipur, and we do have a shooting range in jagatpura...its goverment controled and is only for airgun and skeet shooting.....(as per my knowledge and you know how limited my knowledge is) :)
besides we have to pay an huge annual amount to these guys to atleast show in papers that we are members of some shooting club affiliated by goverment.....and the sad fact is that that Jagatpura shooting range authority only enroll a member if he/she has a persona gun license :x (correct me if i am wrong)
how am i going to get a membership without a gun...... :(
It is untrue that bribery is required to get an arms license.
It is only those people who are ignorantor do not
apply their mind to understand the provisions of Arms Act 1959
:?
with all respect to your views sir.. :idea: ...i will do an acid test on your theory.
and if this theory is practical than i will honour you to fire the first round out of my rifle. :cheers:
It's time to burn in HELL!!!!!!!

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01 pm

tandavbaba wrote:
everybody talks about it but what should be the precise, flawless, inavitable, undeniable and reason if we just want it for sports shooting
Licence for sports is a good reason for obtaining an arms licence, section 13 (3) of Indian arms act 1959 says
(3) The licensing authority shall grant--

(a) a licence under section 3 where the licence is required- -

(i) by a citizen of India in respect of a smooth bore gun having a barrel of not less than twenty inches in length to be used for protection or sport or in respect of a muzzle loading gun to be used for bona fide crop protection: Provided that where having regard to the circumstances of any case, the licensing authority is satisfied that a muzzle loading gun will not be sufficient for crop protection, the licensing authority may grant a licence in respect of any other smooth bore gun as aforesaid for such protection, or

(ii) in respect of a point 22 bore rifle or an air rifle to be used for target practice by a member of a rifle
club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government

You can go either for SBBL/DBBL gun which is smooth bore gun or .22 rifle if you are a member of rifle club by mentioning that you want licence for shooting sports.If your reason is genuine the licensing authority will not reject the application for sports under normal conditions.It have a great chance for getting licence compared to self defense and crop protection.The recent notifications from MHA tries to restrict the grant of license in present scenario so applying under sports have more chances to success.

what are going to be the key points that are necessary to highlight in that application
under sports category
you have to attach photocopy of your rifle club membership id , letter from the club stating that you are an active member of that club, competition certificates if any(helps to get licence as you can say that your reason is genuine)
In the column for special consideration you can state that you are a rifle club member of ....... (name of club)

Regards
Renjith

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 pm

i will do an acid test on your theory. and if this theory is practical than i will honour you to fire the first round out of my rifle. :cheers:
Thank you. The acid test has already been done by some determined gentlemen and they did indeed succeed. You may read this as an example http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14520 He not only got one license issued but also got the second issued. He has not stopped and started celebrating that he got his licenses but is doing RTIs so that others can benefit and do not have to go through all that he had to go through, you may read these:-
1. http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18289
2. http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18352

The real question is not about acid test but how you perceive and deal with the challenge.
The recent notifications from MHA tries to restrict the grant of license in present scenario so applying under sports have more chances to success.
They are not notifications! They have no force of law since they are not notifications issued under the provisions of Arms Act 1959. They are just administrative orders which simply cannot override the provisions of law. There are already Supreme Court judgments that say executive orders/policies or guidelines cannot take the place of law. Examples Poonam Verma & Ors vs Delhi Development Authority on 13 December, 2007 and Subhash Ramkumar Bind @ Vakil & Anr vs State Of Maharashtra on 12 November, 2002. Relevant observation of Supreme Court can be read here http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17298

There is already one writ under Article 226 going in High Court challenging this guideline of MHA by bringing it into the Constitutional ambit and into the ambit of vires. Let us see the outcome.

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:
The recent notifications from MHA tries to restrict the grant of license in present scenario so applying under sports have more chances to success.
They are not notifications! They have no force of law since they are not notifications issued under the provisions of Arms Act 1959. They are just administrative orders which simply cannot override the provisions of law.
Yes they have no legal validity and they are only guide lines issued by govt from time to time.In my experience many of the police officers and people in the government department which are related to issue of arms licence don't know or have any thorough knowledge of arms act 1959 , rules 1962 & various amendments.They take these administrative orders as a thumb rule for the grant of licence.They are lazy enough to take the arms act and turn the pages to study the law.If the officials have a deep knowledge there will not come unconstitutional rejection of arms license.

Regards
Renjith