Double rifle/Shotgun barrel sets

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Double rifle/Shotgun barrel sets

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:52 pm

penpusher, something that I`ve been wondering about the last couple of days is how does Indian law regard double rifles with an extra set of shotgun barrels ? As two guns ?
Mehul suggested that you would be most likely to know the answer to this.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Double rifle/Shotgun barrel sets

Post by penpusher » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:49 pm

Grumpy,

The buyer would need permission to buy both a rifle and a shotgun and it would be entered as rifle(calibre)/shotgun(calibre) along with the serial numbers of both the barrels.However it would be counted as one firearm. This may vary depending upon the interpretation of the relevant provisions by diff. licensing officers.

Take care,
penpusher

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Thankyou penpusher for the very rapid answer. As a supplementary question, would such a gun still qualify as single firearm if being brought into India by a an expat after being resident elswhere for some time ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:30 am

That is a very interesting question, Grumpy. Thanks for raising it and penpusher, thanks for the info.

Also, what about a rifle with an interchangeable barrel set(where more than one calibre can be used) like the Blaser-R93? I don't think any licensing authority came across this, still.

Thanks again.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:17 am

penpusher,

I told Grumpy that if anyone knew the answer to his doubt, it would be you. Yes, like Vikram, I wonder what would happen if someone came back to India on TR with one of the newer interchangeable calibre guns like the Blaser 93, Strasser 06, Merkel KR-1, Chapuis Challenger or Krico 902. Not that I plan on doing anything like that - I hate anything that is "take down" or interchangeable as far as I can help it - but I wonder how the licensing authorities in India would react.

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 am

Grumpy/Mehul

There is a fellow who brought in a multi calibre pistol( I seem to have forgotten most of the details as it was more than a couple of years ago) on transfer of residence.The Customs officials declared that he could only take with him one barrel of one calibre and when he refused to do that,they confiscated his weapon.The fellow went to court and won.So there is a precedense of bringing in a multi calibre firearm.Though this would entail some hassel, in bringing it into the country.

If you want,I can try to find out the details.This would take time and some effort.So if the question is only a theoretical one,do let me know.

Take care,
penpusher

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:10 am

Guys,
The law is very clear in terms of TR. The weapon can have multiple barrels and all of them are endorsed on the license as spare barrel sets.
In case of rifle/shotgun sets, a friend has just brought a tikka 412 set with four barrel sets, the license was a single np bore rifle/shotgun. The word combination set was added by the licensing authorities as a safeguard. This is an excellent gun/rifle and having used it, I'm proud to say that the 9.3x74R double rifle has absolutely no recoil at all. Will post pictures if possible.
Monish

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Thanks for the very detailed answer penpusher. It`s all related to something that I`ll show Vikram when he comes to my place. If any further information is required no doubt we`ll ask again sometime in the future.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:27 pm

Grumpy,

Apart from the excitement your words cause, I don't know how to express my thanks properly. Thanks for keeping things in your mind and thinking about them.

Best-

Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:40 am

Aw shucks Vikram.............Just something for you to think about in the future.