Transfer of Semi Auto Gun Lic

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Transfer of Semi Auto Gun Lic

Post by Sakobav » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:21 pm

This issue is discussed somewhere else by Abhijeet or penpusher. But to summarize., My grandfather who passed away 8 years ago had a semi auto Garand M1 Rifle . This gun due to issues in Punjab was deposited in Police Malkhana but he was unable to get the lic renewed. Gun was then again deposited with a gun dealer and has been there for atleast last 5 years. We were approached by a politician who was interested in it, but he was unable to secure a lic and he gave up too.
I was glad because selling price was measly 15000 rupees. Recently on enquiring I have been told that following are the issues:
1.Punjab Home secretary office or police claim they have no record of such lic issued to my grandfather, even though we possess it.?
2.Even if above is sorted at state level then the application needs to be forwarded to center Home secretary office in Delhi.
a.Is the above true? If so can anyone recommend who has to be contacted at the above office or shed some light on the procedure?

Plan is to have the gun transferred to my uncle as part of inheritance. He is not a defense or police personnel so it might be somewhat tricky for him to acquire a lic. My concern is gun is with Vishal Gun house at Pathankot and these guys also might try to finagle it out from the family and I don?t want us to loose this gun.

Appreciate any advise.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Transfer of Semi Auto Gun Lic

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:44 pm

Navdeep,

Sorry, forgot about this completely.Will get back to you in a day or two with the info.Have some idea but wan't to ensure that the info is current.Abhijeet has got a PB license, perhaps he can shed some light on this.Where would your uncle apply for a license from( the district)?

Take care,
penpusher

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:14 pm

You have a couple of options here - one a (relatively) easy route and the other a long and arduous one!
  1. You could have a skilled gunsmith convert the Garand from semi-auto to "bolt action". I have seen exactly this conversion on a M1 Garand being sold at an arms dealer in Delhi (I think it was Sharda Gun House). In essence the gun is a PB because it is a semi-auto, as the .30-06 cartridge is not a PB in itself. Therefore once this semi-auto to bolt action conversion is done, you can have this certified as no longer being a semi-auto and have it transferred on to an ordinary NPB rifle license. Needless to say this is the EASY route!
  2. You can start the process of applying for a PB license under "transfer of heirloom" basis. For this at the bare minimum you would need a will or in the absence of a will you will need a NOC duly signed by all other legal heirs, stating that they have no objection to this gun being transferred to your uncle's name. You will also need to submit attested photocopies of your grandfather's old arms license, which has this gun entered on it. This is not an easy route, but might just be worth it, as the gun would be kept original and of course it would be semi-auto :)
HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks guys..I will suggest the later one to him.

Rgds
Navdeep

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Navdeep
Conversion of a firearm withouit having a license for it is ILLEGAL.No dealer in India has a license to convert a firearm. These were withdrawn during Indira's time.Further more the Arms Act clearly lays down that there can be no conversion of a firearm from one category to another.The only legal conversion of a semi to bolt action is the one undertaken by the IOF. The M1 Garand ,before being sold to army pesonnel is converted to bolt action by the IOF Jabalpur by drilling holes in the gas chamber.The voucher clearly states this(I think that they are sold to army personnel for the pricely sum of 125 or 250 rupees,I forget which).

The only legal conversion of a semi auto to bolt action after the weapon has been sold to an army officer, that I have seen is that of a former army officer who got his .30 carbine converted to bolt action from the IOF factory at Jabalpur after obtaining a sanction from the DCP Pune.This conversion was later endorsed on his license.

The dealers convert semi auto rilfes to bolt action because of the huge profit that they can make from the conversion.Typically semi auto rifles sell for 15-20,000 rupees and when converted to bolt action for about 70,000 rupees.If the rifle of your grand father has been converted to a bolt action by Vishal gun house this is illegal and you can file a criminal case against him.Rather you should.Put the SOB behind bars.

I would suggest that you first check the firearm before applying for a license to find out the condition that it is in and if it is still a semi go for the second route.If it has been converted to a bolt action, forget about it .File a case against the propietor of Vishal gun house or threaten to do so. Demand compensation in the form of a bolt action 30-06 :wink: This just might work out for you.If it has been converted to a bolt action and you get it on a PB license, as per the Arms Act,it would be assumed that you had made the conversion yourself.

Take care,
penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:08 pm

penpusher,
Fascinating to learn about IOF semi auto to bolt conversions.Any pics?Are the users alive :wink:
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:43 am

Asif,

The converted rifle is the standard Garand except for the fact that 4-5 holes have been drilled into the gas chamber so that the gas gets vented and the action does not cycle on a shot being fired.To cycle the action you have to pull back on the cocking lever every time.

Take care,
penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:57 am

Thats it? and it is sold to a certified 'IQ deficient person'? who then abides by scout's honour? With neuron deficient thinkers and planners like this, no wonder the scope for misuse is so high.
You must be commended penpusher, for being taking time off to explain to us, many nuances of the arms act/legalities etc.I almost died of shock when you first mentioned about the death penalty for any killing done with a PB weapon.That was scary!
Thanks
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:09 am

Thats it? and it is sold to a certified 'IQ deficient person'? who then abides by scout's honour?

:lol: :wink:
You must be commended penpusher, for being taking time off to explain to us, many nuances of the arms act/legalities etc
:oops:
I almost died of shock when you first mentioned about the death penalty for any killing done with a PB weapon.That was scary!
Recently a Punjab Police officer, who had got drunk and shot his own gaurd with an AK 47 was awarded the death penalty by the trial court as a PB weapon had been used in the commission of the crime.

Take care,
penpusher

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:24 am

penpusher

Thanks for the detailed answer. This gun was in Semi auto mode. Atleast when I saw it being fired eons ago.

Rgds
NG