Do we need licence to purchse CROSS BOW ?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Do we need licence to purchse CROSS BOW ?

Post by hock ann » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Dear members,
Hello, i wanted to know if their is any import licence required for importing CROSS BOW to India ? and do we require licence to possess or use CB for the purpose of sports or self defence in India ? if yes then which form do we apply and before whom ? :?: :?

For Advertising mail webmaster
cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:10 pm

check with G.Smith pune they have cross-bow.as for licence ,once when i asked G.Smith the same they said it is nt required

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:17 am

no i don not believe that a licence is needed for crossbow.
as for use against protaction u may end up in legal battle.

saying this one need to check up the arms act to be sure.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Do we need licence to purchse CROSS BOW ?

Post by sudhaiob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 am

hi there
the V schedule of the arms act covers arms other than firearms and though bows including cross bows donot find a place, it also adds saying any other arms which the central govt. may notify under sec 4. section 2 (c) says 'arms' means articles of any de.scription designed or adapted as weapons for offence or defence, and includes firearms, sharp edged and other deadly weapons, and parts of, and machinery for manufacture etc ..... the catch word being the bold highlighted words, can be interpreted to suit the authorities.
regs
sudhaiob

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:53 pm

so sudhaiho
that would mean no licence ie firearms type at the moment is needed for crossbow.

as for import licence, i would have thought that no import licence is needed as not a probited article.

also cross bow would be classifyed as archary. non firearms type sport. so i believe that one can bring a cross bow as part of there baggeges.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Do we need licence to purchse CROSS BOW ?

Post by OverUnderPump » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Yep Naga the archery clause would hold good I presume when used for sport. But usage for self defence might just open up a new can of worms altogether. So, its best avoided.
In addition to what Sudhaiob stated, I'm quoting another section that may be interpreted to suit the situation,should a crossbow be used in self defence.

Section 2 (e) states

"firearms" means arms of any de.scription designed or adapted to discharge a projectile or projectiles of any kind by the action of any explosive or other forms of energy,.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi OP
100% agree with u on self defence. if used for defence it would include legal battles.

so xbow is used for sporting purpuse only. thats that.

i think that this should clear up the matter for hock ann

bottom line is play it safe go sporting.

regards
nagarifle