Taking your firearm for repairs abroad?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Taking your firearm for repairs abroad?

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Is there any provision in arms law to send / carry your gun abroad for repairs? If yes then can somebody please explain the procedure?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Taking your firearm for repairs abroad?

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Oops this should be in Arms law section.. :oops:

Can one of the nicer mods please move it to right section... :mrgreen:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:37 pm

kanwar76";p="35356 wrote:Is there any provision in arms law to send / carry your gun abroad for repairs? If yes then can somebody please explain the procedure?

-Inder
Yes there is a provision in the law to apply for a license for temporary export for the purpose of having a gun repaired. But I'm afraid I don't have any details on how to go about it...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Aha so something is there... but what about Airgun for which you don't need any license to own...

-Inder

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 pm

kanwar76";p="35368 wrote:Aha so something is there... but what about Airgun for which you don't need any license to own...
As you know, airguns can be carried in and out as part of one's baggage. HOWEVER, to avoid having to pay duties when you bring the airgun back REMEMBER to declare it on your way out and have it stamped on your passport, you'll need this to prove that it was indeed carried out and is being brought back in after repairs. Needless to say this only applies when using the personal baggage route, do not think you can do this via post/ courier...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks Abhijeet,

Now the BIG question is.. One have to again go through the same procedure of getting a NOC from police department to prove that its indeed a airgun which is being bought back after repairs...

-Inder

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 pm

kanwar76";p="35378 wrote:Now the BIG question is.. One have to again go through the same procedure of getting a NOC from police department to prove that its indeed a airgun which is being bought back after repairs...
So long as you get the make+model+serial no.+calibre entered on your passport when leaving the country, it should not be a problem when you return with the airgun. They would typically only check against the entry on your passport before releasing the airgun.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:25 pm

Hmmmm Interesting....

Rightly said Abhijeet, "Should not be a problem" but looks like someone needs to try that to get a definite answer... :)

-Inder

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 pm

could we just enter the make and caliber (and not model & serial no.) when leaving ? as this gun do not have a readable print on it. I can bear the hassle of obtaining a NOC
Will i need a bill or something from the repairer?
Ignore the Ignorance of the Ignorant
-
Zafar

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Zafar";p="35384 wrote:could we just enter the make and caliber (and not model & serial no.) when leaving ? as this gun do not have a readable print on it. I can bear the hassle of obtaining a NOC
Keep in mind, the last few posts on this topic relate to airguns... if you wish to carry a firearm aboard for repairs you will NEED an export license... unfortunately I am myself not familiar with this process, maybe some other member can contribute here?

The EXPORT out of as well as IMPORT into India (of arms and ammunition) is SEVERELY restricted! We never think of the former as few of us have had reason to want to export a firearm... except of course for arms dealers, who regularly export fine collectible guns to overseas dealers. So maybe one of the members who is familiar with the arms dealer trade would be able to shed more light on this...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Hello
Section 10 of the arms act has provisions for erxport and import of firearms, but the same is couched in such language that the possibilityof doing it is practically nil.
regs
sudhaiob

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm

could we just enter the make and caliber (and not model & serial no.) when leaving ? as this gun do not have a readable print on it. I can bear the hassle of obtaining a NOC
Mundaire i was definately talking about airgun
could i take it to dubai for repair?
any info about arriving with a airgun in dubai?

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Regarding bill from the repairer i know that here in india a slip from the gun smith helps to carry a repaired gun hassle free in train and you can even send it through any person (no need for a RA membership or licence of the gun-carrier)
does this help in international flight also?

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:04 am

Zafar are there any good Gun Smith in Dubai??? if so plz give details.
Thanks
Zafar";p="35393 wrote:
Mundaire i was definately talking about airgun
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Zafar";p="35393 wrote:Mundaire i was definately talking about airgun
No clue as to legalities in Dubai/ UAE. But it seems they do have shops selling airguns and there doesn't seem like any restriction as to owning an airgun there... but haven't a clue as to how they would react at the airport of you carry one in... Should be ok, but I'll refrain from commenting as I have no definite knowledge on the rules there.

BTW, I believe airguns in Dubai are priced quite reasonably... might just be worth it to simply pick up a new one there and bring it back along with parts for your old airgun, which you can fit yourself or have them fitted for you by a 'smith. That way you'll have TWO working airguns for the same amount of hassle... ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in