Prohibited Bore calibres & firearms

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: A new QUERY ...regarding MAGNUMS !!

Post by nagarifle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:33 pm

:cheers: ROTFL ROTFL
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 pm

ROTFL :mrgreen:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Generally speaking Prohibited Bores are bores used by Government Forces. So calibers like 7.62x51, .303 and 7.62x39 for rifles and 9mm parabellum and .38 special for handguns are Prohibited.

These are not necessarily the most powerful rounds in their class and I believe they have been classified as prohibited to curtail siphoning off of Government Ammunition.

Regards
Satyajit

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Concept PB and NPB was created during Lord Curzon's time(1899–1905), I don't think it was really created to curtail any siphoning off of government ammunition. At the most this may have been the official opinion propagated for public consumption. PB and NPB was to ensure that that in event of mutiny like 1857 happening again, the native soldiers and civilians cannot use each others ammunition in their guns because of different cartridge sizes. Or ammunition looted from government armories during mutiny cannot be used by arms license holders. Unfortunately this concept has also been injected into Arms Rules 1962.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 pm

BowMan wrote:.38 special for handguns are Prohibited
.38 special is non-prohibited where as .38 S&W is prohibited
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

Himachal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

info required

Post by Himachal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 pm

According to amk the member of Ifg 45 acp calliber is NPB in Mumabi Is it True. As i thing 45 acp is the PB Calliber( copy his post)

by amk » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:17 pm

.45 ACP is an NPB here in Mumbai.
amk

Himachal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Himachal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

thnaks about ur 38 special and 38 S&W defination( for PBand NPB). Kindly tell me that 357 SIG is PB or NPB. My some of other queries are. Glock Model 25 380acp Calliber iits ammunation are easily avaliable in India. I am holding the NPB licence . I can purchase both Pistol and Revelove for self defence.Which gun I can go for buy more than 32 calliber380 acp pistol 38 special Revelover or any others which is best for sef defence.. One post I read on Ifg that post from Mumabi that 45 acp are the NPB Calliber. Is it true
With Regards

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Himachal wrote:Kindly tell me that 357 SIG is PB or NPB.
.357 SIG is npb but its almost impossible to find ammo and pistol in this caliber.
Himachal wrote:Glock Model 25 380acp Calliber iits ammunation are easily avaliable in India.
You won't find any Glock 25 in India. .380 acp rounds are also hard to come by and if available would cost you around Rs.500 a pop.
Himachal wrote:Which gun I can go for buy more than 32 calliber.
You can buy pistols in 7.63x25 mauser and 7.62x25 TT as their ammo is available.
Himachal wrote:380 acp pistol 38 special Revelover or any others which is best for sef defence
From .22 lr to .50 AE all are good for self defence. It depends on the user how efficiently he can use them.
Himachal wrote:One post I read on Ifg that post from Mumabi that 45 acp are the NPB Calliber. Is it true
AFAIK .45 acp is npb. But then again, you won't find any ammo.
Vineet Armoury

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

For some unknown reason .45 acp is considered non prohibited bore in Mumbai only, in rest of India it is prohibited bore.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks goodboy, for clarifying. Is it npb only in Mumbai or the whole of Maharashtra?
Vineet Armoury

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Prohibited Bore calibres & firearms

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

Threads merged. Please post all PB/ NPB queries on this thread in stead of starting fresh ones on the same topic. Though IMHO the first two pages of this thread contain enough information regarding the topic to clarify any doubts one may have.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ajayplahane
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ajayplahane » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Mr mundaire,
pl give me your cell number. I want to discuss with you some very important matters
simply sms on 09422857012.I will call you.
Ajay

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Aloha,

No wonder some Americans said we(America) should have let them speak German.

Himachal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

info required

Post by Himachal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 pm

I want to know that is
(1) 40S&W are NPB or PB

(2) 45 acp NPB or Pb

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: info required

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:23 pm

This matter is already discussed in detail at http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 80&start=0 Arms mentioned in Arms Rules 1962 SCHEDULE -I category I(b) and I(c) fall in prohibited bore arms. As a thumb rule you can use the logic that if a bore is not a PB it is NPB. .40 S&W is NPB and .45 ACP is said to be PB. If I read Arm Rules 1962 SCHEDULE -I category I(c), .45 ACP is not mentioned. I also need clarity if .45 ACP is PB then on what legal basis?. Where is the law that says so? In Mumbai it is considered as NPB. I produce SCHEDULE -I category I(c) of Arm Rules 1962 below:
(c) Blot action or semi-automatic rifles of “.303" or 7.62 mm. bore or any other bore which can chamber and fire service ammunition of .303" or 7.62 mm. calibre; muskets of .410"
bore of any other bore which can fire .410" musket ammunition ; pistols, revolvers or carbines of any bore which can chamber .380" or .455" rimmed cartridges or service 9mm. or “.445" rimless cartridges.
Where it is saying above that any service ammunition is automatically PB? Am I reading it incorrectly? If I have not missed reading something in Arms Act 1959, the central government does not have power to make changes to Arms Rules by merely issuing a notification. Arms Rules have to be approved by Parliament as mentioned in Section 44(3) of Arms Act 1959.