Prohibited Bore calibres & firearms

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Prohibited Bore calibres & firearms

Post by Anand » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi penpusher,
I don't disagree with you! You are right! :lol: But I should have phrased it more accurately!

I was merely trying to make a point that one does not need a license from the MHA for a semi-auto .22 Rifle for target use and that it could be endorsed on a NP License. I remember reading the notification that semi-auto .22 rifles must specifically be endorsed for the purpose of target(/competition?) use only.

Also, I guess while a lot of times I am aware of the most accurate terminology, I am guilty of (lazily) :oops: not using it. Sometimes its because the other person may not understand it correctly. To give you an example when I first applied for a license for a NP semi-automatic pistol, I was refused outright, reason according to the DCP "its prohibited". I could have just asked for a NP Bore Pistol license but I did'nt.
So I keep shifting between accurate/exact terminology and what is in common use.

Regards,
Anand

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Anand,

The licensing authority for all semi-automatic firearms other than a revolver or a pistol, for all licensee,regardless of the nature of the license is the Central Ministry of Home.

If the notification that you are alluding to,is from prior to the change in who could issue a license for a semi-auto rifle,then it is no longer valid.If it is post this change,I would be very interested in seeing it.

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 am

abhijeet,
you forgot.410 muskets, which is to be included in the list under the restricted category. it is there under 1(c) of schedule I of the Arms rules.
(quote) muskets of .410 calibre or any other bore which can fire .410 musket ammunition (unquote)
Regs
sudhaiob

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:25 pm

On another note relevant to Prohibited Firearms,
Are those having a Prohibited (Bore) firearms license limited by the 3 firearms rule(+ 1 .22 rifle, if NRAI member)? Or is is the PB license an exception?
I guess Abhijeet would be able to answer this.
Thanks,
Anand

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:42 pm

The three gun limit is applies, irrespective of the nature of the firearm.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 pm

Questions I had regarding PB license booklet that Abhijeet answered for me by PM, he suggested that I put it up for every one to see. Frankly, I did not save the exact questions that I asked Abhijeet :oops: :stupid: but the ones below are essentially the same.

"Hi Anand,

To answer your questions -

1Q.Is the license booklet different for both PB and NPB arms? If an NPB arms licensee is later issued a
PB license, what happens?
1. The PB booklet was issued by the MHA so is separate from my NPB booklet which was issued by Delhi Police. However, the MHA issues a license which is valid only for 1 year, post which it is renewed by the local licensing authority, they reassign you with a new license no. as well at the time of first renewal. One can always put in a request to have both booklets combined after the first renewal has been done, but frankly I haven't really bothered.

2Q. Does it get any easier for a PB licensee to acquire another PB arm?
2. Have not tried, so cannot comment on this. I'll be applying for a second PB license maybe later this year, once again under transfer of family heirloom basis, will let you know how things progress.

3Q. Can a PB licensed arms and an NPB licensed arms be entered in the same booklet?
3. My father has a NPB revolver and PB M1 Carbine entered in the same booklet as he had the two booklets combined many years ago - anyone can put in an application and have this done... is pretty straight forward and reduces the headache of keeping track on which booklet comes up for renewal on which date.

The questions are interesting enough to be of value if you posted them on the open forum... that way the answers would be of use to others as well...

Cheers!
Abhijeet"

Regards,
Anand

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat May 23, 2009 5:10 pm

Dear All,

If I have a .32 license can I convert it or change it to get a 9MM Short License.

Also are 9 MM Short Pistols available in India?

Look Forward to hearing all your views.

Regards,
Aditya
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

.303 not prohibited bore

Post by kanwar76 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:08 pm

.303 not prohibited bore

Chandigarh, May 26
The three-judge Bench of Chief Justice Tirath Singh Thakur, Justice Jasbir Singh and Justice Hemant Gupta has held .303 riffle is not a prohibited bore weapon.

The ruling came on a reference by a Division Bench in a case in which a special police officer was convicted under Section 27 (3) of the Arms Act for committing murder with a prohibited firearm and was sentenced to death.

Taking up the case, the Division Bench was of the view that the decision in another case of Santokh Singh required reconsideration to the extend it declared .303 riffle was not a prohibited arm within the meaning of the Arms Act.

The three-judge Bench asserted: It is not disputed that .303 riffle has not been notified as a prohibited arm by the Central government…. We have no hesitation in affirming the view taken in Santokh Singh’s case as correct view.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20090527/cth2.htm#11

And I always thought that any arm which is used by any police, paramilitary or army is PB .. :? I hope one day they pass a judgement that .45 is also not a PB :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mahesh5263
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: .303 not prohibited bore

Post by mahesh5263 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 pm

THanks For the INfo Inder.

mahesh5263
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mahesh5263 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:08 pm

.303 Is not Prohibited bore At lest Any more.
.303 not prohibited bore

Chandigarh, May 26
The three-judge Bench of Chief Justice Tirath Singh Thakur, Justice Jasbir Singh and Justice Hemant Gupta has held .303 riffle is not a prohibited bore weapon.

The ruling came on a reference by a Division Bench in a case in which a special police officer was convicted under Section 27 (3) of the Arms Act for committing murder with a prohibited firearm and was sentenced to death.

Taking up the case, the Division Bench was of the view that the decision in another case of Santokh Singh required reconsideration to the extend it declared .303 riffle was not a prohibited arm within the meaning of the Arms Act.

The three-judge Bench asserted: It is not disputed that .303 riffle has not been notified as a prohibited arm by the Central government…. We have no hesitation in affirming the view taken in Santokh Singh’s case as correct view.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20090527/cth2.htm#11

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed May 27, 2009 7:08 pm

as the arms acts says that any firearms able to chamber service ammo is a PB.

a 303cal rifle chamber and barrel can be changed to different cal. thus overall the rifle remains the same. so a rifle can be NPB, as long as it is not able to chamber and fire service ammo.

i think the finer points of the arms act are not known to the Judge or the persecution officer. so its a technical details. the courts judgment can be turned if one is able to prove otherwise.

-- Wed May 27, 2009 14:44 --

i would not bank on the court judgment unless the arms act says so.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed May 27, 2009 9:47 pm

The court is talking about "prohibited arm" and NOT "prohibited bore"... reread the last part of first post on this thread to know the difference between the two.

The court's interpretation is correct and exactly as per the Arms Act/ Arms Rules.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 am

Vikram wrote:Remember this discussion Grumps? :wink:

Courtesy http://www.internetgunclub.com/phpBB/vi ... 3&forum=46

Supplied by good ol' Mehul.

"A list of prohibited calibres requiring a special license in France - the authorities must have been high when they put the list together...

D E N O M I N A T I O N S C O U R A N T E S
D E S C A L I B R E S
5,45 x 39 mm
223 Rem. ou .223 Remington ou 5,56 mm NATO
6 mm Lee Navy
6,5 x 51 R ou 6,5 mm Arisaka
6,5 x 53,5 mm Daudeteau
6,5 x 54 mm Mannlicher Schoenauer
6,5 mm Mannlicher
6,5 x 54 M.-Sch ou 6,5 mm Mannlicher-Schônauer
6,5 x 58 Mauser ou 6,5 mm Mauser-Vergueiro
6,5 x 57 ou 6,5 x 57 mm Mauser
6,5 x 55 SE ou 6,5 x 55 mm Suédois
6,5 mm Mauser ou 6,5 mm Krag-Jorgensen
6,5 mm Carcano ou 6,5 mm Terni ou 6,5 mm Mannlicher-Carcano
7 mm Liviano
7 x 57 ou 7 mm Mauser
7,35 mm Carcano
7,62 mm M 52
.30-40 Krag
7,7 mm Type 99
7,7 mm Type 92
7,5 x 55 GP 11 ou 7,5 mm Rubin-Schmidt M 1911
7,5 mm Mle 1929 C
.30 M1
30-06 Spring. ou .30-06 Springfield ou 7,62 x 63 mm

D E S C A L I B R E S
PREMIERE CATEGORIE - ARMES D'EPAULE (suite 1)
308 Win. ou .308 Winchester ou 7,62 NATO
.308 EH
7,62 mm M 43 ou 7,62 Kalashnikov
7,62 mm Mosin-Nagant
.303 British
7,7 mm Type 92
7,92 Schwarzlose
7,92 mm M 1929
7,65 x 53 Arg. ou 7,65 mm Mauser
8 mm type 66
8 mm Breda
8 mm Bofors
8 x 51 (Mauser K)
8 x 57 J ou 7,92 mm Mauser
7,92 x 33 Kurz ou 7,92 mm Kurz
8 mm Krag-Jorgensen
8 x 63 mm Suédois
8 mm Lebel
8 x 57 JS
8 x 50 R ou 8 mm Mannlicher
8 x 56 M-Sch. ou 8 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer ou 8 x 56 R
8 mm Guesdes
8 mm Murata
8 mm hongrois
8 x 56 R M30S
9,5 mm turc
10,15 mm Jarmann
10,15 mm Mauser
10,40 mm suisse (annulaire)
10,4 mm Vetterli M70

D E S C A L I B R E S
PREMIERE CATEGORIE - ARMES D'EPAULE (suite 2)
10,75 mm Berdan
11 mm Murata
11 mm Albini
11 mm Comblain
.43 Spanish
11,15 mm Werndl
11,15 mm Mauser
11,4 mm Werndl M 73
11,43 mm Turc
.43 Egyptien
11,4 mm Brésilien
11,5 mm espagnol
.577/450 Martini Henry
11,7 mm danois
11 mm Beaumont M 71/78
11 mm Beaumont M 71
12,11 mm norvégien
.577 Snider "

Hope this helps.

Best-
Vikram
Vikram...
those are not prohibited... just licensed. you need paperwork to go buy them. Those not on the list.. you walk in buy and walk out. Huge difference. Then again for a lot of them... 'magazine capacity comes into play as does action...

-- Thu May 28, 2009 1:56 --

BTW I dont see 7.62 x39 on the list... :oops:

fatehpal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by fatehpal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:43 pm

doe the IFG plan to push a PIL in the SC or support an already ongoing case.
cause i am a final year law student finishing my law from Nalsar law univ Hyd, i would love to help. i have also done a few internships in the Supreme Court.
I would also be happy to help with any legal research.

Regards
Fateh

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Well, French law prohibits military, and not just French military, calibers. And whenever "law" and "government official" get together, all common sense and rational thought disappears. What's really surprising is that muzzle loaders of most calibers were not included. Cheers.