Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
singhfp
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by singhfp » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 pm

Prestigious gun rights activists & IFG members, please help me on this.

I have an valid Arms Licence with 3 Firearms endorsed on it, a 12 Gauge Shotgun, a .32 S&W Long Revolver and a .22 LR Winchester Rifle with ALL INDIA validity and 30000 ammo quantity and a valid US visa where I shall be visiting shortly.

I am aware about the 50 Cartridges that one can import without attracting custom with the special arrangements by the airlines, as per the policy.

What I want to clarify is : -
What if I bring more than 50 cartridges on my way back from US.

Shall I have to pay custom on the additional quantity exceeding 50 cartridges?

If yes what’s the duty that I have to pay and upper limit quantity of cartridges that I can import.

Further, please suggest, Dose that 50 cartridges mean, 50 cartridges per weapon or in total.

And is there some 5KG weight limit on the import of cartridges.

Has anyone I the group tried to import a higher quantity above 50.

I would be highly obliged with your inputs.
If the Government doesn't trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs ......? Have one for yourself

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:44 am

singhfp hello,I am not an expert on the matters you are asking questions on nor a lawyer. So these are my opinions based on my experience and some heresay.
The import of Arms under the Baggage Rules allows only 50 cartridges without duty provided you have a license. IMHO it is not 50 per firearm. I paid 150% duty when I imported a pistol and 50 rounds of ammo on TR in 2003.

The limit of 5kgs or other weight limit for ammo in checked in baggage is usually an airline limit imposed on passengers and may vary from airline to airline and also from sector to sector and is partially dependent on the Origin/Transit/Destination Country's Laws.

Renowned shooters have imported 15000 cartridges/year according to the permit issued by NRAI/Govt. But these generally order them from India itself and don't usually bring them back in their baggage even if they travel abroad due to the "hassle".

Even if your license allows you 30,000 cartridges, if your not a renowned shooter, then the 50 cartridge limit will be applicable under normal baggage rules. I hope this helps.
Anand

P.S I forgot to mention earlier, any one carrying more than 50 cartridges in an aircraft in India need to get a DGCA permit, which takes afew weeks to get. I don't know if this applies to airlines of other countries, or if any reciprocal facilities are provided if you have a DGCA permit.

hax16th
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by hax16th » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:07 am

Hi Experts,

I live in USA & have a valid permit to carry a gun in USA & have been in possession of it for more than a year.

Can I bring a weapon a .22 or .32 gun while coming to India & some ammo, I do not have a gun license in India. Pls advice if I can bring it in or will I have to follow any procedure.

Thanks,

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 am

Hi hax16th, in my knowledge You need to get a temporary tourist licence for carrying a gun in India. below is some of the details.

Bringing of arms or ammunition into India by “bona fide” tourists
(1) [A licence, valid for the period of six months from the date of endorsement referred to in sub-rule (1-A) , may be granted in Form III to bona fide tourists to in Cl. (b) of the proviso to sub-section (1) of Sec. 10, so far as practicable, six months prior to the expected date of arrival of the tourist in India :

Provided that the validity of the licence so granted shall commence only from the date of endorsement of the licence.

(1-A) when the licence is granted in Form III to a bona fide tourist under sub-rule (1), the licence together with the passport visa of the tourist, shall be presented to the licensing authority as soon as may be after the disembarkment of the tourist and the latter shall –

(a) After obtaining the undertaking referred to in sub-rule (2), endorse the licence making it valid for a period of six months from the date of endorsement, and

(b) Make an entry in the passport/visa giving full particulars of all the arms and ammunition for which the licence has been granted].

(2) The licensing authority shall obtain an undertaking in writing from the licensee that he shall not sell or transfer the arms or ammunition to anyone in India without the prior permission of the District Magistrate having jurisdiction over the place where such sale or transfer is to be made, and where the arms or ammunition are sold or transferred he shall inform the customs authority and pay duty, if any.

(3) The passport-checking authority or any other officer empowered by the District Magistrate in this behalf at the port of other place of departure from India shall verify that the arms entered in the passport/visa are being taken out of India by the licensee and recover the licence and forward the same to the authority who issued it with the remarks that the arms have been duly re-exported or lawfully sold or transferred in India, as the case may be.

Comment

This rule provides for temporary licence by bona fide tourists visiting India.

For the relevant provisions in the Arms Act, 1959, see Sec. 10.

the experts in this forum will provide you more info. on this topic.

Regards
Regards

Shivaji

chris_cruz
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by chris_cruz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:36 pm

All said and done, let's accept the fact that we cannot import latest Firearms into the country.

A very nice and latest Pistol in Italy, Germany or US is between $500 to $1000 (Rs.25,000/- to Rs.50,000/-), the same company pistols which are more than 20 years old are costing more than 10 Lakhs (USD $20,000/-) in India. There is no chance how we can evaluate a firearm before purchase and each dealer has his own fancy price without any justification.

It would be of great help is some of you experienced gun users put up a table of what is a right price a weapon commands considering it's age and make. This will be very useful for new buyers and discourage unreasonable pricing and cheating.

Now as it stands, dealers are having a free run and additional zeros are being added to the price of what the weapon may be actually worth.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue May 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Not disappointing you, but, in all probability - in the time that this whole process takes you might have well finished your trip too.
hax16th wrote:Hi Experts,

I live in USA & have a valid permit to carry a gun in USA & have been in possession of it for more than a year.

Can I bring a weapon a .22 or .32 gun while coming to India & some ammo, I do not have a gun license in India. Pls advice if I can bring it in or will I have to follow any procedure.

Thanks,

/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Rishi Rajanala
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rishi Rajanala » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 am

Hi,

I am a resident of Hyderabad. I bought an antique non working Indian jezail
rifle from an auction in UK. I just wanted to know, if I can ship it from
there to India? Is it legal or not and will I be in any trouble if I
brought it here?

Regards,

Rishi Rajanala.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:42 am

check with the customs and police departments in India
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

WJJ
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by WJJ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Is there a way to export your personal (Non-Prohibited) weapon (Side by Side 16 bore shotgun) out of India?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:41 pm

get a permit from customs ?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Mrlearner
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mrlearner » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Hello,
I do not whether it is proper thread to ask this question. May be moved to appropriate thread if required.

I understand that before 1984-1985, one could purchase the fire arm from outside the country and bring into India without any problem. Can any body throw some light on the concerned gazette notification, rule etc. vide which it was banned later on.
It is just an academic question, nothing more than that.
Regards.