Transfer of Gun from Father to Son and Journey Permit

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
gkaymanam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Transfer of Gun from Father to Son and Journey Permit

Post by gkaymanam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Hello - my father holds licenses for a 12 bore shotgun in Kerala and wish to transfer it to my name as he is over 75 years now. he has held this license for over 40 years. I am a resident of Bangalore, Karnataka. After application and a year of follow up, I have been given a licenses with Bangalore validity and have been asked to bring the gun for inspection.

Now the challenge is that the gun is with my father who is residing at Kearla. what is the procedure for obtaining a Journey Permit/License to bring the gun from Kerala to Bangalore? I would prefer to dirve down and bring it by road.

In this case, who will issue the Journey permit? the licensing authority in Kerala or the licensing authority in Bangalore? Also, please let me know the procedure for applying for a Journey permit.

Thank you in advance,
George

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Transfer of Gun from Father to Son and Journey Permit

Post by Vineet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Journey license will be issued by the licensing authority of Kerela. There is Form XI in Arms Rules 2016 specifically for Journey License.

The custom followed here in Punjab (and probably north India) is that during endorsement of a weapon only serial no. is checked by the authorities. In case of sxs gun, the serial no. is also mentioned on fore stock of the gun and it can be removed independently from the gun. So people take only the fore stock of the gun for endorsement or license renew and not the whole gun.

Hope this helps.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

gkaymanam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gkaymanam » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks, Vineet! is the process of getting a Journey licenses as complex as the one for applying the arms license? I have reached out to the licensing department in kerala and am sensing a lot of "huddles".

Regards
George

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:53 pm

gkaymanam wrote:Hello - my father holds licenses for a 12 bore shotgun in Kerala and wish to transfer it to my name as he is over 75 years now. he has held this license for over 40 years. I am a resident of Bangalore, Karnataka. After application and a year of follow up, I have been given a licenses with Bangalore validity and have been asked to bring the gun for inspection.

Now the challenge is that the gun is with my father who is residing at Kearla. what is the procedure for obtaining a Journey Permit/License to bring the gun from Kerala to Bangalore? I would prefer to dirve down and bring it by road.

In this case, who will issue the Journey permit? the licensing authority in Kerala or the licensing authority in Bangalore? Also, please let me know the procedure for applying for a Journey permit.

Thank you in advance,
George
Dear George , In case you have been issued a license for your state Karnataka and you want to endorse your fathers gun who is located in Kerala. I suppose you do not need journey license for the same instead you need a NOC to purchase the gun from other jurisdiction/ state from your local licensing authority. And your father needs permission of sale of gun.
This way you as a buyer can travel to Kerala to procure your gun from your father.
I will update if i get more info.

Ajaybir S. Sandhu
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:21 pm

The correct procedure is that you need NOC from your licensing branch to purchase your father's gun and your father needs NOC from his licensing branch to sell the gun to you.

But because the OP asked about Journey License, I told him about it. Journey license is not as difficult as getting new arms license. But may not be needed in this case.

One more way can be that your father gets NOC to sell the gun to any arms dealer in Banglore, then the dealer can sell it to you. This is the easiest way as you will not require any NOC from Banglore and other formalities are also less.
OR
Your father sells the gun to any arms dealer in Kerela, then you can get NOC (from Banglore) to buy from Kerela. You will also need a TL (travelling license) from respective DM in Kerela.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

manikmittal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by manikmittal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi, I am looking for transferring a gun license owned by my father to me. My father is staying in home town in UP. I am staying in Bangalore. I am totally new to it. Can somebody help me where to start? May be some.office address and contact number might help.