Renewal of Arms License under new act. Help!

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Renewal of Arms License under new act. Help!

Post by StampMaster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:29 am

Hello All,

With little to no knowledge of new arms act, i had submitted my AL to the concerned authority 3 weeks before the date, with renewal and late fee.

Do I also need to deposit the weapon at a dealer or the police station. As the renewal is expected to take a minimum of 2 months, due to the new act (which i am reading while posting here).

In this post viewtopic.php?t=24325, GBM clearly mentions not to deposit weapon, as it will make the process complicated to get back my weapon.

I am not aware with the 2016 rule and a family friend (also a lawyer by profession) has mentioned to deposit before the expiry date.

Kindly advice. Thanks.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Renewal of Arms License under new act. Help!

Post by pran80 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Stamp master,
I got my licence renewed in 2017 in the state of UP. I applied for renewal I applied a month after my licence got expired and it took 2 months further to get it renewed. In the meantime the weapon was in my possession only and there were no problems.
Regards,
Pranjal

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:03 pm

You are required to show the weapon to the gun clerk once..thats all.Time taken depends upon how busy is the chap authorised to renew your licence.I hope you have a UIN number..that will speed up the process .

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Dear sir .
You will get a acknowledgement from DM's office that can be presented when a requirement of licence arrives by any means . You don't have to surrender your guns to anybody . I got my licence renewed in Dec 2017.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Appreciate your replies.

I am in a confused state right now I get different answers as below-

Addl DM : need to deposit
AL Clerk: Need to deposit
Lawyer (cousin): Need to deposit
My dealer: No, you need not. Do it at your risk, I cannot return until you get your license with the renewed date.

The sole purpose of law makers is to make law complicated and bureaucrats makes it worse.

Straight forward, clean info-

http://www.satarapolice.gov.in/FaqsArmsLicence
Last edited by StampMaster on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm

You need not sir .

Added in 2 minutes 14 seconds:
Just give the licence and renewal form to DM office rest don't worry. Yoy will have acknowledgement from DM's office that's sufficient.
I carried my 2 weapons in my car for a period of 4 months when I gave my licence to renewal .
What I had was a Xerox copy of my arms licence and the acknowledgement.

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Just give the licence and renewal form to DM office rest don't worry. Yoy will have acknowledgement from DM's office that's sufficient.
I carried my 2 weapons in my car for a period of 4 months when I gave my licence to renewal .
What I had was a Xerox copy of my arms licence and the acknowledgement.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 pm

your dealer is right do as he says.keep a signed receipt stating lic is with LA for renewal and keep it with firearm.if they dont deposit license then also ask for receipt stating license is in renewal process and fees have been deposited.make photo copy of form which you have filled for renewal get clerk sign on it.keep any of above whichever your LA gives you.main purpose of document is you have deposited fee and completed your part only official work which is not your hand is pending.official work can take more then 2,3 months.carry weapon as you want but also keep receipt or any proof stating lic is in renewal stage.there are different procedure adopted by different LA do as applicable in your state.dealer advice is best he have to there several times in week.we fills farms deposits fees and clerk hands over lic and signed photocopy of application form for renewal.when file arrives back in office we get new renewal date on license from LA with his stamp and signature. after fee deposit you have proof of your renewal
regards

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:49 am

I do not know how it works else where but here in Mumbai, one can renew the Arms License from a month advance of the expiry date till a month after the expiry date i.e. if the expiry is on 1st March then one can put the docs in for renewal from/between 1st feb to 1st April.
Hope it helps. Your Mobile phone camera could come pretty handy in case you need to keep the record of payment of renewal fees if the receipt is not provided.

Marksman

PS: one may be served "show cause notice" in case the renewal is delayed for a considerably long time.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 pm

An Update:

AL needs to be submitted 2 months before the renewal date according to the AL Clerk (well, not sure according to which act). I have paid Rs500 as late fee.

I asked a few AL holders who do not know, even the arms dealers do not know about this update.

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 pm

One month prior to expiry of licence according to my knowledge .
StampMaster wrote:An Update:

AL needs to be submitted 2 months before the renewal date according to the AL Clerk (well, not sure according to which act). I have paid Rs500 as late fee.

I asked a few AL holders who do not know, even the arms dealers do not know about this update.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:01 pm

One month prior to expiry of licence according to my knowledge
sathvik wrote:ne month prior to expiry of licence according to my knowledge .
I am not sure about the new or old act. Even I remember it to be one month, old act.

But the AL clerk has mentioned it has been changed to 2 months.

It is good to call your area AL Clerk 3 month before expiry, to get the latest details. Instead of take last minute trouble and paying late fee.

sniper2014
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniper2014 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:22 pm

The clerk is correct. As per new Arms Rules 2016, application for renewal of Arms Licence in prescribed form along with fees have to be deposited 60 days before the last date of validity.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:50 pm

sniper2014 wrote:The clerk is correct. As per new Arms Rules 2016, application for renewal of Arms Licence in prescribed form along with fees have to be deposited 60 days before the last date of validity.

It is 90 days before the last date of validity.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am

The exact words of Arms Rules 2016, point no. 24 are:

(2) An application for renewal of a licence for arms or ammunition shall be filed in the Form wherein
specified at least sixty days prior to the expiry of the said licence with the licensing authority along with the
documents wherein specified in the Form:
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.