increasing number of barrel of a licenced firearm is legal?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

increasing number of barrel of a licenced firearm is legal?

Post by FPSguy88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:43 pm

i want to know its legal to increase the number of barrel of a firearm by modification?

For Advertising mail webmaster
nbk3y7k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: increasing number of barrel of a licenced firearm is legal?

Post by nbk3y7k » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

FPSguy88 wrote:i want to know its legal to increase the number of barrel of a firearm by modification?
No, its not at all legal and suggest to avoid such modification.... its illegal... refer Arms rule 2016. Barrel and some parts cannot be modified under any circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
RR

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:19 pm

FPSguy88 wrote:i want to know its legal to increase the number of barrel of a firearm by modification?
Your questions is not clear.

Are you asking:

a) if a person can have his/ her single barrel gun converted to a double barrel or similar?

OR

b) if a person who owns a firearm (rifle/ pistol/ shotgun) in a particular calibre can acquire additional barrels for the said firearm, whether in same calibre or some other calibre(s)?

Please frame your question clearly.

Thank you.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by FPSguy88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm

mundaire wrote:
Your questions is not clear.

Are you asking:

a) if a person can have his/ her single barrel gun converted to a double barrel or similar?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
i'm asking A.

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

I would be glad to know the answer for " B "

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
Recently I was offered a rifle with two different calibres with two barrels. I got confused for the question ''B"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:40 am

A) if the license is for NPB gun then (legally speaking) you can go to a gunsmith licensed for conversion, to convert it from SBBL to DBBL. However, practically that would mean building an all new gun! If your license has NPB SBBL gun endorsed, then you would need to take permission to convert it from SBBL to DBBL. The practical problem remains.

B) Legal. You would of course have to get each barrel and calibre endorsed on the license though. A great option for India, as it would use up only one of the (out of total three) available slots.

Cheers!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by FPSguy88 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 pm

mundaire wrote:A) if the license is for NPB gun then (legally speaking) you can go to a gunsmith licensed for conversion, to convert it from SBBL to DBBL. However, practically that would mean building an all new gun! If your license has NPB SBBL gun endorsed, then you would need to take permission to convert it from SBBL to DBBL. The practical problem remains.

B) Legal. You would of course have to get each barrel and calibre endorsed on the license though. A great option for India, as it would use up only one of the (out of total three) available slots.

Cheers!
one question can we can convert a gun by ourself? and one thing if my license say 12 bore gun then still i have to take permission?

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks Sir for the input. I contacted the dealing assistant of the DM office informing the legality of the two calibres issue. He is totally ignorant ( Expressed his delightful knowledge of impossibility of using two types of cartridges in a single rifle. He also argued as to how is it possible to dismantle the barrel from a rifle. It is illegal.) Any notification in this matter will be helpful to convince the more ignorant DM.

Sci-fic
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sci-fic » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 pm

mundaire wrote:A) if the license is for NPB gun then (legally speaking) you can go to a gunsmith licensed for conversion, to convert it from SBBL to DBBL. However, practically that would mean building an all new gun! If your license has NPB SBBL gun endorsed, then you would need to take permission to convert it from SBBL to DBBL. The practical problem remains.

Cheers!
Great info abhijeet sir, kindly post any notification or any legal document on this or any links of it would be much more helpful for many of us
Thank you and good luck

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 pm

There is no notification, as it is clear from a reading of the law itself. There are plenty of people who own rifles/ shotguns/ pistols with more than one Barrel endorsed on their licenses.

www.gunowners.in

FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by FPSguy88 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:29 pm

mundaire wrote:There is no notification, as it is clear from a reading of the law itself. There are plenty of people who own rifles/ shotguns/ pistols with more than one Barrel endorsed on their licenses.
i have another question can owner of firearm and convert his firearm himself?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm

FPSguy88 wrote:
mundaire wrote:There is no notification, as it is clear from a reading of the law itself. There are plenty of people who own rifles/ shotguns/ pistols with more than one Barrel endorsed on their licenses.
No,it is explicitly mentioned that conversions can only be done by a gunsmith licensed for the same. Anyhow, I don't know why you are pursuing this line of questioning, because as I had mentioned earlier it is practically impossible to convert a single barrel to a double barrel. That would require building a whole new gun.

www.gunowners.in

FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by FPSguy88 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:11 pm

mundaire wrote:
FPSguy88 wrote:
No,it is explicitly mentioned that conversions can only be done by a gunsmith licensed for the same. Anyhow, I don't know why you are pursuing this line of questioning, because as I had mentioned earlier it is practically impossible to convert a single barrel to a double barrel. That would require building a whole new gun.
No not about convert single barrel to double barrel conversion i mean other type of conversion such as convert caliber of gun by drilling with breech or converting bolt action .22 into semi auto. these types of conversions can be done by owner itself?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Once again, converting a blot action to semi-auto would require building a whole new receiver (action), unless the firearm was a semi-auto to begin with and had been converted to a straight pull bolt action (in which case it may be possible).

Anyhow, those sort of conversions and/ or conversion of calibre would require it to be done by a gunsmith licensed to make such modifications.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in