high power air guns?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

high power air guns?

Post by FPSguy88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:22 pm

i want to know that if someone have a air gun under 20joules energy but if energy exceeded to more than 20 joules by repair or modification then it would legal or not?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: hi power air guns?

Post by Basu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:10 pm

When the defined limit is 15 jules , anything beyond that will violet the law.
You may always have anything beyond 15 jules till you are questioned by administration.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm

It would require an arms license unless it can pass the deal wood test (as outlined in G.S.R 662 dated 1962), without which it would be illegal to possess.

Added in 2 minutes 9 seconds:
The limit is not 15 Joules, it is 20 Joules which is 15 foot pounds. Joules and Ft Lbs are two different units of measurement, the first is based on the metric scale and the second on the imperial scale.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

FPSguy88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by FPSguy88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:47 pm

mundaire wrote:It would require an arms license unless it can pass the deal wood test (as outlined in G.S.R 662 dated 1962), without which it would be illegal to possess.

Added in 2 minutes 9 seconds:
The limit is not 15 Joules, it is 20 Joules which is 15 foot pounds. Joules and Ft Lbs are two different units of measurement, the first is based on the metric scale and the second on the imperial scale.
i agree but if i used heavier pellet that will increase would be also illegal too. ie. i have a air rifle which gives 20 joules power on 7gr. pellet but i use 14gr. pellet then it will increase its power what would be in this situation?

narach93
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by narach93 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm

By multiplying .738 with joule you will get ft lb. And by multiplying 1.356 with joule you will get joule. Thus 20 joule is 14.76 ft lb.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Sorry. By multiplying 1.356 with joule you will get figure in ft lb.

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I and many others have SDB Artemis in .177 and is 13+fpe out of box.But after proper tuning it will definitely deliver 14+ that too with nice accuracy.

Added in 8 minutes 49 seconds:
I apologize for posting this as the information needed is of legal limit.sorry.

narach93
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by narach93 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 am

If the manufacturer claim that its AR is capable of giving 13+ fpe, then the maker should divulge the weight of the pellet in grain and the muzzle velocity. Very few does. Take for example of diana 350. The maker claims that with 1250 fps it gives 30 joule. That means the wt of the pellet is only 6.37 grain. Another example is precihole NX .177. The advertised velocity is 800 fps and muzzle energy is 12 fpe or 16 joule. Thus the wt.of the pellet should be 8.44 grain. The energy output depends on the wt of pellet. Heavier pellets will travel in less velocity thus gives low muzzle energy. This information is based on a simple formula. Let me try to put in this way. Velocity × velocity × wt of pellet in grain divided by a constant 450240 is equal to muzzle energy in fpe. To substantiate my point let me try a 5.2 grain RWS Hypermax pellet in Diana 350. The calculation goes like this - 22.14 fpe x 450240 = 9968313.6
9968313.6 ÷ 5.2 grain = 1916983.385 . Root over of 1916983.385 gives
1384.55 fps. Now this velocity is much more than the adverised velocity. If a heavy pellet is used, then the velocity will decreased, but the energy will remain same.
But there is another formula to know the effect of wt of pellet on the enegy. M1÷M2 x initial velocity = resultant velocity. For example M1 is 6.37 gr and M2 is 5.2 gr. Initial velocity is 1250. Thus the resultant velocity is 1531 fps . Now using the first formula the resultant muzzle energy will be 27 fpe or 36.7 joule which is much more than 30 joule.
So if one using heavy pellets in artemis, then he can safely remain within the threshold of 20 joules or 14.76 fpe if not way below 13 fpe.
Sorry brothers, I am no expert in maths. Pl ignore me if there is any mistake. One youtube video about the comparision of energy between precihole Sx and SDB 65 shown that the energy output is way below (about 8-9 fpe) than the claimed power of precihole.similarly the foreign ARs are regulated for less than 20 joule.
Again very sorry of giving so much unsolicited gyan.
Regards

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 am

I believe the manucturers simply mean to say that even with the lightest given pellet in the caliber the air rifle will not exceed 20 joules

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 am

As far as foreign made/ sold air-rifles is concerned, my experience has been that when an air-rifle is sold as a 12 ft lbs model (in UK, since that is the legal limit there), it usually produces 10-11 ft lbs max! This is because manufacturers (and retailers) quite obviously wish to err on the side of caution when dealing with legal compliance issues.

As to Indian manufacturers, I'd assume they would follow a similar pattern. A couple of years ago, I had Chronographed my son's Precihole NX 100(with a Shooting Chrony), the muzzle energy measured was in the range of 10 to 10.5 ft lbs.

I would be VERY SURPRISED if other Indian manufacturers are exceeding these power limits. Often a person may "feel" a given air-rifle is shooting "harder" than another, but this "feel" is meaningless. Only scientifically measured results can give you the correct comparison.

Anyhow, I am not a big fan of "High Power" airguns. For me accuracy is always more important than power ratings, in the words of Townsend Whelen "Only accurate rifles are interesting".

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein