New member : wants to know about certain details

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
madmaximus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

New member : wants to know about certain details

Post by madmaximus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:47 am

I reside in Kolkata , I am a Navy veteran : I want to book an arms license : for crop protection on my forefather's land (Burdwan : Memary Village)
What do i have to do for that ?
Do i have to approach Burdwan Police or to someplace else ?
No Idea how to do it .... I am planning to get a 30-06 rifle after getting the license . Any kolkata residing person wish to help me out with proper Info ?
waiting for a response . Thank you in advance

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: New member : wants to know about certain details

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 am

Sorry do not want to offend you in any manner or saying that you are one among them, but often have come across some persons taking a very convoluted and complicated route to get an arms license. For example if their real purpose is self protection, they will go great lengths to apply for sport or crop protection.

If your real purpose is indeed crop protection then you may apply in the office of licensing authority having jurisdiction over your village. Licensing authority for districts is mostly the District Magistrate, in some States is called Deputy Collector or Collector. You should have some documentary proof of residence at your village, your neighbors, village Sarpanch etc. must be willing to tell that you indeed live in the village, are engaged in agricultural activity and very good person etc. etc. to the Police Officer who will come to meet you and inquire at your home in village.

For crop protection, mostly muzzle loading gun license is issued, sometimes 12 gauge shotgun license is issued. Not aware if license for rifle has ever been issued for crop protection, though there is no legal prohibition to issue rifle license for crop protection.

If you reside within the jurisdiction of Kolkata Police and want to apply at Kolkata, the licensing authority at Kolkata will not be issuing license for crop protection and that too for another district. If you want to apply for self protection, then you may apply for NPB/ permissible category rifle license in the office of Deputy Commissioner(Arms Licensing) at Kolkata Police Head Quarters, Lalbazar. You should have some documentary proof of residence at Kolkata, your neighbors, locals etc. must be willing to tell that you indeed live here and very good person etc. etc. to the Police Officer who will come to meet you and inquire at your home in Kolkata.

If you want to apply for sport, then be a member of some government recognized rifle club. Then apply license for sport.

May also read this post here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25076#p248019
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 am

as you are a ex def. person then you can apply with your credentials.
Regards

Shivaji

madmaximus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by madmaximus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks gentlemen, You see , i am not even offended, I have plans to take up agricultural business , to crop my own field. I live in Kolkata , but planning to move out and reside in Burdwan in the coming years. Thanks for the info .
Just few more questions :
1. Do i have to physically go and talk to District magistrate ?
2. where will i get a application form ?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:10 pm

madmaximus wrote:1. Do i have to physically go and talk to District magistrate ?
Technically not required. But sometimes going personally may help quicken the matters because if they have any questions or want you to make some changes in the application form or want more documents, you can solve the matter then and there.
madmaximus wrote:2. where will i get a application form ?
From the website of the office of licensing authority or from the website of Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi. The application form is same all over India because Arms Act and it's Rules are same all over India.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992