Pending new arm license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Pending new arm license

Post by milind » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Dear All,

I have applied for new arm license last year in June 2016. Police station inquiry is over around 5 month back and I am not getting any satisfactory answer from the authorities. I had telephonic discussion with them around 15-20 times, each time they say the file is sent to dcp and asks me to call after 10-15 day.

Last week finally I had decided to visit the commissioner office and met Dy. Commissioner. He assured me that my file will be cleared in 4-5 days. Now I don't know what to do. Should I wait more (it's nearly 1year since I have applied) or should I go for RTI (also worried it could go against my application)

I have applied for new licence but the gun belong to my father. He wish to transfer it in my name. I have attached his consent letter & license in the application. I have given reason as 'Self Protection' and have also mentioned to consider my application on the ground of legal family heir.

Please guide me what to do now, what if they deny giving me license? What to do with the gun then?

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Pending new arm license

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:56 pm

When Deputy Commissioner has given assurance, then give him time. No point in agitating him needlessly.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am

I have given reason as 'Self Protection' and have also mentioned to consider my application on the ground of legal family heir.
Hi Milind cant say for sure but from what I have been reading on the forum it seems those are 2 different reasons (meaning I suppose you can apply under one category or another). Just thought I should point it out incase it may be of concern. Abhijeet, GBM is this correct?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:19 am

SMJ wrote:GBM is this correct?
Generally the reason for license is self protection, sport, crop protection or family heirloom. He has given reason as self protection and also mentioned the gun is a family heirloom. He has written something that is anyways a fact and not trying to mislead or suppress some relevant information. Nothing wrong in it, unless the licensing authority is only looking for excuses and not applying it's mind judicially within the four walls of Arms Act 1959.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:26 am

GBM thank you - that makes it clear now!
I just raised it as i thought it may be a point of concern for Milind and knowing how things work here the possibility of the application being rejected on a flimsy ground such as a license cannot be applied for under 2 categories.

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 am

SMJ wrote:knowing how things work here the possibility of the application being rejected on a flimsy ground such as a license cannot be applied for under 2 categories.
Yes what you are saying is correct, many applications are rejected on legally baseless grounds.
milind wrote:what if they deny giving me license? What to do with the gun then?
Nothing to panic or get angry, frustrated or hopeless, this is very important. Patience and persistence to pursue the matter is the key. If denied, just politely get the reason for denial officially in writing. Appeal to the appellate authority. If still denied, file a writ in High Court, it is a simple process, though it may take some time(how much time the courts take is well known). High Court directs the licensing authority to issue the license.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 pm

or should I go for RTI (also worried it could go against my application)
You can actually file an RTI. However, there is no guarantee this will fasten your application process.

In my case, RTI have gone unnoticed and I had written to higher ups as per RTI. It might take months (or even an year) from them to respond depending on the number of applications they have. Importantly, it all depends on how tough RTI rules are implemented in your state.

One of my friends application has the same problem (new license for protection) which was applied sometime in june last year and there is no update. And we come to hear that the DM is hesitant to provide new licenses and a number of applications which are for renewal are also pending for the last 6 months. I am not sure, why people are reluctant to file a case in court.
Appeal to the appellate authority. If still denied, file a writ in High Court, it is a simple process, though it may take some time(how much time the courts take is well known).
As GBM says. However, you can write to State Information Commission or National Information Commission directly without appealing to appellate authority.

Irrespective of what I say, it is a time taking process and we need to be persistent. Good luck
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

dankapoor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dankapoor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Hlo guys i am also suffering from same problem bt my licence is issued i have given it for correction in spelling of my address they told it was 10 day procedure but it has been 1and half month no response yet every time i enquire i get same answer to wait a little
Regards
Danish

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 pm

dankapoor wrote:my licence is issued i have given it for correction in spelling of my address they told it was 10 day procedure but it has been 1and half month no response yet every time i enquire i get same answer to wait a little
They must have given some official receipt or proof that you have submitted the license. If yes, then nothing much to worry, let them take their time.

milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by milind » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 pm

It's always a great learning to take advice from the experienced ones and I am feeling happy & more confident now. Earlier I was feeling very frustrated and was eager to get the desired results but now I realized that there is no point in arguing but to have patience. Big Thanks to you all GBM, SMJ & Stamp Master for your valuable guidance. I will wait for next communication from them. If necessary will again meet the officials with polite & positive tone. Hopefully will get it done in coming days.

milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by milind » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:44 pm

CP has sanctioned my license. Today I have deposited the license fees. I am asked to collect my license in couple of days. Thanking everyone who have given their guidance to get it done.

farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by farhan.lateefi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Congrats Milind [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 pm

milind wrote:CP has sanctioned my license. Today I have deposited the license fees. I am asked to collect my license in couple of days. Thanking everyone who have given their guidance to get it done.
Very good! It appears this CP has turned out to be a gentleman and honored his words.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:56 am

Congratulations Milind :cheers:

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by pran80 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Congratulation Milind. Shoot safe.