Is it easy for a high net worth individual to get a gun?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
roger_that
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Is it easy for a high net worth individual to get a gun?

Post by roger_that » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:55 am

Hi,

I am 25 and a high net worth individual (I'm worth around Rs.15 crores). I ran a software company and sold it recently.

I live in an upscale apartment and lead a pretty normal life. I don't have a flash of wealth or anything.

I've never had security issues also, to be honest. But I've always wanted to own a gun for self defence. I know this is no reason to grant me a gun, but one reason why I personally want one is because I'm physically in weak shape due to a muscular condition since childhood and owning a gun would make me feel safe. I'm not disabled but my muscles have poor tonality from genetics and a condition.

Does it make it easier for me to get a gun because of my wealth? Is it something worth trying? As you can imagine, I am a little apprehensive about the procedure and don't know what to expect given it's India where things can get complicated (e.g. I get put under the radar for trying to get a gun license)

Thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Is it easy for a high net worth individual to get a gun?

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:14 pm

If you had searched this forum, enough about these matters is already discussed here. Whether someone is a high net worth or not, what type of place one lives or not, security threat or no threat, all these are legally immaterial for the Arms Act 1959. Arms Act 1959 does not want to know all these kind of things. It is equal legal right of every citizen of this country to get arms license, provided not disqualified by Arms Act 1959 like less than 21 years old or mentally unsound or convicted for heinous crimes etc.

Despite the legal position, the key to getting arms license is patience and persistence. The following hurdles one has to often jump in order to get license -

1. application gets rejected by licensing authority giving some legally baseless and bogus reason like "no threat to life"

2. then applicant has to get the reason for rejection in writing and appeal to the appellate authority.

3. if still rejected, the applicant has to file a writ in High Court. It mostly succeeds unless the applicant is actually disqualified under Arms Act 1959.

There is nothing to be apprehensive except providing more information than what is legally required under Arms Act 1959. For example saying that you are high net worth individual or providing your income tax returns etc. Why? Because the level of corruption in India is well known, who knows that your application will land in the hands of some unknown corrupt police officer and the information gets leaked to some unlawful gangster?

Stick to the legally required process, don't supply false information. Also don't get tempted by thoughts that providing more information than legally necessary will make getting arms license easy or quick. Do not fear rejection of arms license application. Getting application rejected is normal, so don't get disheartened, instead move to the next logical step. Once you reach the stage of filing a writ in High Court, post here or send me a PM, you will get a sample writ and ideas for your lawyer to move ahead. Or most probably the entire matter will be posted on this forum itself for everybody to read.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by chicky » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi Roger_that,

I agree with goodboy _mentor, and I feel you should apply without any pre notions. If you are a law abiding citizen, paying your taxes regularly and do not have any legal/criminal cases against you... you have a reasonable chance of being granted the license.But It might depend on the City/State you currently live in, as States like UP and Bihar have their own limitations in this sphere.

All the best,

Chicky
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Would like to clarify that "paying your taxes" is not a condition or requirement under Arms Act 1959 since getting license is equal legal right of every citizen regardless of amount of property he owns, profession, income or taxes he pays. Arms Act 1959 is is no way connected or concerned how much you earn, if you pay your taxes or not or evade taxes. Taxation is a matter that is dealt with totally different enactments and departments of government.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 am

Hello Roger_that.
At the risk of sparking up a row here, let me put it this way, that in our world, some people are more equal than others. And the supposed equality lies in realms of your personal power. In our world, it is either money, political or bureaucratic. If an ordinary tax payer were to apply for a gun licence in India, sans the above mentioned personal power, his chances of obtaining a licence are pretty slim.
But, the chances improve exponentially, if the same ordinary tax payer takes up the sport of shooting in earnest, invests his hard earned money along with dollops of time to finally attain the 'renown shot' certificate, then his application for grant of licence for sports become relatively easier.
As you have mentioned that you have sum muscle tonality issues, I wonder if you can take up the sport of shooting, but you could always give it a twirl - If you go on my topic Tips on Pistol Shooting on this august forum, you may get some idea of the sport. Feel free to ask me any questions and if I can help you in any way in trying out the sport, you are most welcome.
Regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:09 am

hvj1 you are speaking the practical truth and certainly not sparking up any row. Your views are certainly appreciated and respected. It is true that either getting a renowned shot or sport category or getting a writ from High Court is the usual method of getting license. This also does not mean that some are not able to get license using the normal procedure. But such instances appear to becoming rare due to the reasons already mentioned by you.

roger_that
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roger_that » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi hvj1,

Thank you for the realistic answer. That was one I was really looking for. It reminds of how much difficulty I faced back in the day (and how I much money I had to spill) to get my passport even though it's an ordinary matter.

May I ask a few questions:

1. I would consider shooting as a sport if that will help. I saw your thread and your gamut of achievements and I have to ask, is a license granted to only someone of your stature? What kind of timeline is a newbie looking at to get good enough to get a license?

2. How much of physical exertion is involved in shooting?

3. I also read that there is a separate license for shooting sports and it includes only an inferior set of guns. Is this true?

4. Are there many flavours of shooting in the sport? Which one would you recommend in light of getting a license?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:34 pm

roger
Please do some research here and on the net for shooting as sport..air guns dont need a license start there work your way up. NRAI India has a website go check them out..see where nationals are or local range is check them out..

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:46 am

Roger_that
1. What kind of timeline is a newbie looking at to get good enough to get a license?
It depends entirely on you, if you practice with passion (and I assume you have dollops of the same, considering your stated background) I think that a couple of years at the max and a minimum of one year should be about it (provided you train with a good coach)
2. How much of physical exertion is involved in shooting?
The shooters that I have known in India during my active days of shooting didn't exercise much, but it is necessary to get your core muscle groups and those required for keeping the pistol steady in reasonable good condition.
3. I also read that there is a separate license for shooting sports and it includes only an inferior set of guns. Is this true?
Yes there is a sports category under which it is easier to get your weapon license, but the term 'easier' is relative and hinges upon the amount of time you wish to invest on yourself. incidentally, there is no such thing as an 'inferior' gun, but we can talk on the subject later.
4. Are there many flavours of shooting in the sport? Which one would you recommend in light of getting a license?
What you term as flavour is termed as 'events', these are air pistol/rifle and then there are the firearms events in rifle, pistol and shotgun.

The air pistol is the mother discipline for all pistol related events in shooting, no licences are required, you can start the moment you get your hands on one. However my advice to you is to approach the sport of air pistol shooting in a 'holistic' manner. With an attitude for developing not only basic physical fitness but also to learn mental skills which together with physical fitness will make your life a lot more wholesome.

You can contact me on 09370650321 for further info.
Best Regards

Added in 3 minutes 49 seconds:
Thank you GBM

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Roger_that

You have not indicated the State of your residence.In some States the authorities are liberal and some they are strict.You should first put in an application to the competent authority and and await for the result.It is not necessary that it will certainly be rejected.Please go ahead and apply.

roger_that
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roger_that » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks hvj1!

I have slipped discs. I hope I will be able to pull off shooting as a sport.

@indiaone, I am in Bangalore. Do you know of good shooting instructors / schools in Bangalore?

roger_that
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roger_that » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Reading this article:

Not sure why they put this line:

> "But since Rocky had claimed a threat to his life — he had said that he belonged to the Left Wing Extremism-hit Chatra district of Jharkhand — he could buy a pistol which was in no way related to his target shooting practice."

Makes it seem like if he hadn't claimed a threat to his life, he wouldn't have been able to buy a pistol.

roger_that
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roger_that » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:11 pm

sorry forgot to add link to article: http://indianexpress.com/article/explai ... t-2802388/

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:05 am

Roger_that
I am afraid I have no idea about shooting instructors in Bangalore, but you could try the KSRA ranges at SAI complex.