New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

Post by Chengy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 pm

OK Now the good part.. about these new Rules applied for enhancement of ammunition quota in the category of 'Other Shooters' specified the new Rules. Had to obtain an endorsement from NRAI (I'm a member), for which they charged Rs 500 :( . Then applied to the licensing authority . So now I have ( at a time /Annual allowance) 12 Bore DBBL old 100/250 now 500/500, 30.06 NPB rifle old 25/50 now 200/500 and 0.22 Rifle old 25/100 now 500/1000 . Cheers folks I'm one happy shooter :D

For Advertising mail webmaster
Peacefulguns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Peacefulguns » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Chengy wrote:OK Now the good part.. So now I have ( at a time /Annual allowance) 12 Bore DBBL old 100/250 now 500/500, 30.06 NPB rifle old 25/50 now 200/500 and 0.22 Rifle old 25/100 now 500/1000 . Cheers folks I'm one happy shooter :D
Hi Chengy.. Are you otherwise a renowned shooter and thus got this enhancement or being a NRAI member enough.

Thanks in advance.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 pm

this is for those who have being members of state or NRAI association for more than 3 yrs

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 pm

sa_ali wrote:this is for those who have being members of state or NRAI association for more than 3 yrs
Can you please quote ref. page no. or rule, as stated in Arms Rules 2016
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chengy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Pritam,

I applied under the following ‘Other Shooters as per Para 40 (5) of new Arms Notification 2016'. Was accepted by the authorities. But you need a letter (from NRAI in my case) from your shooting association.

"Peaceful Guns" The quota for renowned shooters is much more. I applied under the 'Other Shooters' category. You can check the reference above for complete details.

Regards

mooppan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mooppan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:33 pm

mundaire wrote:As of now the Arms Rules 2016 continue to be in force.
Hi abhijeet
I have a doubt.! As far I know an rule cannot be enforced legally unless it has a related act.Act can be enforced legally .And a rule become an act/ law only after it passes our legislation. And as of now armrules2016 are rule only..? Not become arms act 2016..? Pls enlighten us.

Regards.
Ranjith Raghavan.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi abhijeet
I have a doubt.! As far I know an rule cannot be enforced legally unless it has a related act.Act can be enforced legally .And a rule become an act/ law only after it passes our legislation. And as of now armrules2016 are rule only..? Not become arms act 2016..? Pls enlighten us.

Regards.
Ranjith Raghavan.
Hi Ranjith,
The Arms Act 1959, and Arms Rules 1962 under it were the ones that we were subjected to thus far. Come July 2016 it was notified through the Gazzette of India that the Arms Rules 2016 had come into force. However, these have not been ratified by both houses of Parliament within the stipulated time period, so are technically not valid. But all authorities and licensees are following the new 2016 Rules (even if they may not have the full force of the law).

The Arms Act 1959 itself has not been amended yet. The consequence of the requested change in Arms Act 1959 which our 108 MPs initiated in 2010/2011, was to bring about some changes that included allowance to import of arms and ammunition, unlimited arms and ammunition to licensees, license validity for lifetime, definition of firearm to exclude minor components and such components that cannot be used as firearms themselves(such as extra barrels, caliber conversion kits etc.) Some of these changes, like unlimited arms & ammunition and life time validity of licensing would require an amendment to the Arms Act 1959 itself.

It appears as if the bureaucrats made changes to the Arms Rules (thus creating Arms Rules 2016) to accomodate as many provisions requested by the 108 MPs, as possible and also clarifying some of the old rules, without changing the Arms Act Itself. Whether the desired amendment will be done in the future is to be seen.
Regards,
Anand

rbeekol
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rbeekol » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:10 pm

I am a citizen of Kolkata, West Bengal. My late grandfather had gifted me an air Gun (Diana) which uses the 0.177 calibre pellets. My query is with this new Arms Rule is it mandatory for me now to obtain a license for this equipment. Please advise. If yes, then whom should I approach. Thanks in anticipation.

rbeekol

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:33 pm

rbeekol wrote:I am a citizen of Kolkata, West Bengal. My late grandfather had gifted me an air Gun (Diana) which uses the 0.177 calibre pellets. My query is with this new Arms Rule is it mandatory for me now to obtain a license for this equipment. Please advise. If yes, then whom should I approach
Please read the matter related to 0.177. This matter has been discussed in a very reasonable detail in this forum.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Joe4guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Joe4guns » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:30 pm

but precihole .22 is available still in the market..!!

lover of guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lover of guns » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 am

Are you sure that precihole .22 is available in the market.?
This new rule is really very confusion.
I would like to ask my knowledgeable friends if buying sbd artemis .22 is illegal?

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Location: Yamunanagar, India, My bike, wherever I keep my bag.

Re: RE: New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

Post by rahul_does » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:30 pm

mundaire wrote:Please see the attachment. Pages 1-133 are the new rules in Hindi, while pages 134-279 are the English version.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

GooooooooooooooodMorrrrrrrnnnnnning India!!!!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Time heals many wounds and time wounds many heels.

gautam25apr
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gautam25apr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:09 pm

I was going through the list of NPB and PB on the MBA website. I found that even certain 9mm pistols are not PB.. My query use that I've got a 9mm Astra... Is it PB or NPB?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:30 pm

gautam25apr wrote:I was going through the list of NPB and PB on the MBA website. I found that even certain 9mm pistols are not PB.. My query use that I've got a 9mm Astra... Is it PB or NPB?
Do not refer to that list, it has number of silly mistakes. Just follow a simple thumb rule, anything that is not clearly listed as restricted arms in Schedule I of Arms Rules is NPB. Every 9 mm diameter pistol cartridge except 9 mm Luger/ Parabellum(9 x 19 mm) is NPB. If you search this forum, you will find this matter has been discussed in detail.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

pkaran
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pkaran » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 pm

I have read the relevant portions of the new Arms Rules 2016 as applicable to the type of weapon I am looking for, and I believe that things are much clearer than before. The language is simple, clear and straight with no ambiguity whatsoever, except that one may find it difficult to relate the various alpha-numeric symbols quoted through out the document to the relevant clauses. The government is understood to have liberalized the policy by removing red tape, perhaps in realization of the increasing crime rates to give its righteous citizens a chance to protect themselves and their properties. A glance of the new rules for obtaining a license for a pistol/rifle can be summarized below. I am sorry I do not mean to present here a procedural drill-down that an arms license aspirant may follow for the purpose of which one should follow the procedure for the type of arms one may be interested in obtaining a license for.

1. Submit the application in the relevant form with 4 passport-size photographs, DOB proof, a copy of his ID proof, Adhaar Card, safe storage capability undertaking etc., and also an undertaking that he will undergo the safety training prior to possession of the weapon;
2. Professional category is permitted;
3. A Medical certificate is a must as attachment.
- The Rules categorically specifies the obligations of the licensing authority.
- The license could be issued for the District, State or for the entire India. If the initial license is for the State, one could obtain a travel permit when moving out of the State.
- The reason for grant or refusal must be recorded. There is an appellate authority that one may approach in case of refusal by the licensing authority.
- The permitted/prohibited arms are listed in the Rules.
- The fees have been considerably increased.
Last edited by pkaran on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.