licensing need for a rifled shotgun

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

licensing need for a rifled shotgun

Post by biking3819 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 am

Q.)a shotgun with rifled barrels wud need a license application for a shotgun or a rifle?
please advice.
thanx and regards sanjiv

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 am

If you mean a partially rifled barrel (last 2 to 3 inches), then it is definitely a shotgun that you need to apply for.

If it's a dedicated slug gun with the entire bore being rifled, I'm not sure but would still think it would call for a shotgun licence for the simple reason that rifle ammo is not easy to find in that calibre and more importantly the bores are not chambered for a rifle round.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:41 pm

Shotgun licence.
The platform is a shotgun, the ammo is shotgun (ball only)
so there.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:37 pm

If it is a paradox, a DBBL / SBBL or NP bore gun licence is required, whatever the actual clause is.

A paradox weapon is actually a shotgun. Look into the barrles. The last few inches near the muzzle will be grooved.

It is rifled to shoot slugs with more accuracy. It can shoot shot as well but in the pattern there will be a halo near the top rim of the 30 inch circle at 30 yards.

Not to bother too much, shot pattern is good for most applications.

Paradox guns will usually have leaf sights on the ribbing as well for good slug placement and elevation adjustment at different ranges.

With todays technology a paradox DBBL S/S or O/U can be scoped as well.

We did have a Holland & Holland paradox 16 bore gun earlier ( my brother's ) but he sold it last year to meet the high costs of Indian Elections !

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: licensing need for a rifled shotgun

Post by saahil » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 am

hi all
today i was at dm office,over there a gentleman was willing to transfer his father's gun on his license. the gun was 12 bore as i over heard him but he was stressing on 12 bore rifle but as per my knowledge 12 bore is a shotgun.please clarify.TAKE CARE

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:29 pm

It could be a 12 Bore Paradox. 12 Bore rifles did also exist in the Blackpowder days before the Nitro Express cartridges drove them to oblivion.

But I doubt such a weapon exists in India any longer, most would have faded away or bought out by people like Westley Richards or William Evans.

In all probablility it is a 12 bore paradox gun.