How many guns , one can own with arms license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
nraja4321
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

How many guns , one can own with arms license

Post by nraja4321 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:46 pm

Hello guys

I was wondering how many guns can a individual own with one arm licence in india . Is possible to own more the one gun in an single arm license. If it is not, what are jurisdiction to be full filled to own more than one as a citizen of India .

Any idea of this please do reply

Thanks ...

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: How many guns , one can own with arms license

Post by mundaire » Wed May 18, 2016 5:02 pm

You can own more than one gun on 1 arms license. However, each type of firearm needs to be individually endorsed on the license, after taking due permission to buy that type of firearm.

So for example, lets say you initially apply for an arms license for a handgun (NPB pistol/ revolver), the license is granted and you purchase and have the handgun endorsed on your license.

Later if you wish to also purchase a rifle/ additional handgun/ shotgun. You will need to write an application to the licensing authority, requesting for an addition of the type of firearm you wish to have added (rifle/ handgun/ shotgun) and stating/ explaining your need for the same.

If the licensing authority approves the addition, only then can you purchase another firearm.

As per Section 3 of the Arms Act, there is a maximum limit of 3 firearms that an individual can own/ possess at any given point of time.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

vijaybhatti
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vijaybhatti » Wed May 18, 2016 11:43 pm

And if you are a member of nrai or any local rifle club you get .22 as 4th weapon

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu May 19, 2016 11:15 am

I was also told that as a renowned shot you can own as many weapons as you wish- no limit. Is this correct Abhijeet?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 19, 2016 12:01 pm

No SMJ, that isn't true. However a renowned shot can own 3 additional firearms (over and above the usual limit) for each event in which he/ she is a renown shooter. Even this is subject to a maximum overall limit of 10.

The newly created category of "Aspiring shooter" allows for one additional firearm for each event in which you qualify in as an Aspiring shooter, subject to a maximum overall limit of 4.

Only ethnic Kodavas residing in Coorg (Karnataka) are exempt from the provisions of Section 3, therefore they have no upper limit on the number of firearms they can own. Interestingly the total number of Arms Act cases (i.e. crimes in which a firearm is used) registered in Coorg district (year on year) are amongst the lowest in all Karnataka, with many years in which ZERO cases under Arms Act are registered. A clear example (from within India) of how more guns in the hands of citizens DOES NOT lead to more crime.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 pm

mundaire wrote:Interestingly the total number of Arms Act cases (i.e. crimes in which a firearm is used) registered in Coorg district (year on year) are amongst the lowest in all Karnataka, with many years in which ZERO cases under Arms Act are registered. A clear example (from within India) of how more guns in the hands of citizens DOES NOT lead to more crime.
Is this information gathered from media reports or response from official sources like under RTI application etc. My purpose of question is if the information with you is admissible as evidence in court. RTI replies are admissible as evidence.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nraja4321
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nraja4321 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:21 pm

As above vijaybhatti ..suggested
I have a side by side shot gun in addition I ll buy .315 bolt action gun and 1 pump action gun .

I register my self as a member of any shooting club . I can buy the .22 lr .

If I discontinue as members of the club , will the .22 lr will be taken away from me , or I still posses it on my license ..

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks Abhijeet, someone very senior in the shooting fraternity had mentioned it so I thought the rules may have changed. Did not know about the "Aspiring shooter" category so thanks for that!

The exemption in terms of number of weapons that could be owned by the people of Coorg was a British policy- apparently even in those times it seemed they never took advantage of this and mis-used their privileges. Its good to know at least that the Indian government continues to uphold this policy and the Coorgi's also continue to reciprocate (y)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
mundaire wrote:Interestingly the total number of Arms Act cases (i.e. crimes in which a firearm is used) registered in Coorg district (year on year) are amongst the lowest in all Karnataka, with many years in which ZERO cases under Arms Act are registered. A clear example (from within India) of how more guns in the hands of citizens DOES NOT lead to more crime.
Is this information gathered from media reports or response from official sources like under RTI application etc. My purpose of question is if the information with you is admissible as evidence in court. RTI replies are admissible as evidence.
Information is as per official Karnatka crime statistics published by their police on the Internet. If you want I can e-mail you the original reports.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm

mundaire wrote:Information is as per official Karnatka crime statistics published by their police on the Internet. If you want I can e-mail you the original reports.
Yes if you could please email the original reports or direct links to download them.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992