Steps to inherit my dad's handgun

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Dssanay
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Steps to inherit my dad's handgun

Post by Dssanay » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi .... My dad passed away last year in june 2015 and we submitted the pistol at a police station. Now it has been more than 8 months it will be confiscated by police. Can anyone pls tell me the procedure and for how long the pistol is secure there. I have three siblings who live in different parts of the world and dont want to sign the form. Pls help and tell me options rhat i have

For Advertising mail webmaster
chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Steps to inherit my dad's handgun

Post by chicky » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:00 pm

The best way would be to visit the office of your nearest Licensing Office, and apply for an Arms License. You should mention in the Application Form that this is merely an Arms transfer of your deceased father's weapon . You also may need to submit the NOCs of the other legal heirs(your siblings,mother and sisters ) and of course the details of the pistol owned by your late father.

I hope that helps,

Chicky
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Both my licenced firearms are in fact transferred to me from my father BUT I did acquire both a rifle and a shotty licence BEFORE effecting this transfer.Acquire a licence then effect the transfer,BTW i hope your fathers licence must be intact somewhere becuase w/o that document the ransfer will become complicated.

Dssanay
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Dssanay » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for replying.... Yes I do have his licence. But the problem is that it is already more than 8 months that the hand gun is in police custody and I have hardly four months left to get the licence trnsferred. What if I am not able to get the paper work done in four months? Does the police get entitled to keep it ? Is there any other way to get it back as my siblings don't seem supportive at all

chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by chicky » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:43 am

Dear Dssanay,

You should apply without further delay, and also submit an application in the Police station (with the receipt of your application) keeping them aware of your intention. Legally you can apply but you cannot determine if and when it will be granted to you.Take a help of a lawyer , if needed.
Do not look for "jugged" solutions, they never work for Arms and ammunitions. Also if your siblings are not supportive you can enquire from the licensing authority if their NOC is mandatory .

All the best
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "