Getting a UIN in Delhi - personal experience

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Getting a UIN in Delhi - personal experience

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:00 pm

Since there has been a lot of to and fro, as well as some confusion about arms license holders being issued UIN (Unique Identity Number) - I thought I'd post my experience here.

NOTE: Apparently every state is going about it in a different way, so some/ all of this may very different in your own jurisdiction.

Two days back (Monday 14th Sept), I received 2 text messages from Delhi Police, asking me to present myself along with license booklet on 16th September for issue of UIN. The first one gave the time as 10-1:30 PM and the second said between 10-11 AM.

Last week, my father too had received a similar text from Delhi Police asking him to present himself on 11th Sept between 12AM-12:30PM (sic). However, since he only checks his text messages every few days, he missed the designated date/ time.

Today morning, the both of us went to the licensing branch of Delhi Police.

The first thing that struck me was that the parking was packed, but there was only a minor overflow - the Delhi Police's strategy of staggering days/ times for issue of UIN to arms licensees seemed to be working. We got parking a 100 or so meters away from the official parking area, next to the nallah (where they park the towed cars).

On entering the gate we realised that Delhi Police had obviously put some thought into the expected number of people, as there were chairs kept outside the building and printed directions posted on the walls. As per directions arms licensees were to approach specific counter numbers, depending on the first alphabet of their name.

There were also two plain clothes officers stationed right there, handing out a brief form and answering queries. On enquiry about my father's case, they said he would now have to wait for the second round of text messages that they will send out to those who could not make it on the designated date/ time.

PLEASE NOTE: The nationwide deadline for issue of UIN is 30th September 2015

The form asked for the following information:
Date of Birth
Mobile number
e-mail ID
Signature & date

Since I have two different booklets/ arms licenses for my two firearms, there was some confusion as to whether I needed to fill out one form or two. Past experience with government departments dictated that I take two forms and fill them out, just in case the UIN was less than Unique.

I presented myself at the designated counter, where I was asked for my name and to show my arms license booklet. Since I had two, there was some further confusion before my name was located on the list. On locating the name, it was found that only one arms license was listed there. The person on the counter, put a check against my name and asked me to get the sticker for the listed license on the next counter - the next set of counters are located on the ground floor to the left of where the entry passes are usually issued.

On the next counter, when I discussed the fact that only one arms license was listed and what to do about the second one, they placed a UIN sticker on the listed license and asked me to go upstairs to the computer room to find out about how to solve the second booklet issue.

In the computer room, I met a very helpful gentleman, who told me that for anyone with more than one booklet they were combining them all into one and issuing a UIN. However, in my case (and another case earlier in the day), they could not follow this procedure as one was issued by Ministry of Home Affairs and one was issued by Delhi Police. Furthermore, there was a glitch in the NDAL (National Database of Arms Licenses) system, which was not allowing them to print UIN stickers with more than one booklet number. This had already been brought to the notice of MHA and he said it should be fixed in the next couple of days. The obvious question was, "So what should I do next?". The answer, either I or a person carrying an authority letter (from me) can revisit them after 2-3 days and they will do the needful at that time.

Then I brought up the issue of my father having missed his designated date/ time for issue of UIN. The gent asked me for his booklet and the date/ time he had been given, within minutes he had processed my father's case and we were free to go home. :)

I have said this before, I think that in terms of efficiency it is hard to beat the Delhi Police Licensing department.

While I may have my own personal reservations about the whole UIN concept, I can't flaw the execution bit at the Delhi Police level. They've done a good job of it! (y)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Getting a UIN in Delhi - personal experience

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Abhijeet,

Thanks for the informative post. As you mention 30th Sept is the last date for UIN, what happens after that??
In Gurgaon I have only one booklet for my three weapons so it should be a little simple. But I have not got any call for the UIN. I suppose I should go to the LA tomorrow itself and see what is happening.
Again, do you have an idea of what happens if one doesn't get the UIN till 30th for what ever reason???

Atul

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Dear Abhijeet,
thanks very much for describing procedure.....

I m confused with my licenses, I have two booklets issued by M.P. as well as Gujarat Authorities

1. Hand gun Lic. ( all india endorsed ) + NPB rifle ( endorsed for M.P. + 3 states) on one booklet issued by M.P. Govt.

2. DBBL Lic. ( only Gujarat State ) issued by Ahmadabad Comm. of Police

Any idea what would be my best option,

Suggestions from other experienced members are welcome

regards

Pritam Patel
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Abhijit,
So what is the reason for this UIN? What problem are they trying to solve?
Is it basically a registry? If so, why this new number? Don't they already have that information.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks Abhijit for the info.

My AL was up for renewal this May and I got UID during the time of renewal process. No one really bothered to ask me to provide document or question.

After there has been a lot of fuss about the AL UID, i checked my booklet 2 weeks ago and found a number written UID-XXXXXXXX.

Cheers
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:10 am

PRITAM PATEL wrote:Dear Abhijeet,
I m confused with my licenses, I have two booklets issued by M.P. as well as Gujarat Authorities
1. Hand gun Lic. ( all india endorsed ) + NPB rifle ( endorsed for M.P. + 3 states) on one booklet issued by M.P. Govt.
regards
Pritam Patel
As per the law if you are staying at an address different from the one where the license has been issued you have to get your license transferred to that LA. Rather, the LA pertaining to your present residence will issue a license to you and cancel the old license.
Then you will get an UIN on that license.
This is my understanding of the Arms Act.

Atul

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:19 am

Great information, very detailed and may I say, quite UNIQUE mundaire! :D

xl_target I think someone came up with the idea that if they could have a / an UID they would be able to track every, arms licence holder and have them on a single, country-wide data base for future reference and further enforcement as and when required? :D

I could be mistaken, however. I was just thinking of how there were two NRI ID's - the PIO and the OCI which the Govt. is now consolidating into the OCI.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:26 pm

thanks for the heads up. I will be on watch out for the SMS from delhi police

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:49 pm

PROCESS IN GURGAON

Today I went down to the Gurgaon LA after seeing this post. I will briefly describe my experience.

1. Reached there at 10 am. It is a very small room with 5 people sitting there and it can accommodate about 4 visitors only.
2. There was no visitor present there at that time, I went to the concerned person's desk and inquired about UIN.
3. He asked me to submit my license and gave me a receipt for the same and asked me to pick it up after 10 days.

What happens in the LA.

1. They send the license to the computer division to make an entry on the website.
2. The website generates a UIN and a sticker is with the UIN is pasted on the license.
3. They give the time period of 10 days although it is a 2 days work but their computer goes very slow sometimes and sometimes it is not able to access the website for days. It has recovered from being dead for 12 days, only day before yesterday.

I inquired if someone is not aware of the UIN then what would happen. They were very casual about it and said nothing would happen. Whenever, someone comes for it they would feed the details on the website and generate a UIN.

I suppose unlike Delhi, Gurgaon has only about 4000 licenses they can afford to be unorganized and casual about it.

Atul
Last edited by aadhaulya on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:06 pm

:) Right, good feedback Atul.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up Abhijeet!
The UID solves two problems. If a licensee illegaly has, say 3 firearms on one license booklet and another 2 on another booklet in another district, then this UID, under which all licenses are to be re-registered, will effectively throw up those doing this.
Second since the license number keeps changing everytime the licesee moves to a new district or jurisdiction, there is no way to keep tabs on or track the licensee continuously. With this UID, even if your license number changes, the UID allow the Govt. to keep tabs.

There is a Notification making all licenses invalid after 1st Oct 2015 if they have no UID, issued sometime in 2013. I was given to understand that as and when the licenses come up for renewal, they would be given a UID.

In the case of A.P and Telangana a few years ago, 31 of December was made the renewal date along with shortening the renewal period from three years to two years for State and district license. For All India licenses it is 3 years. So all licenses expiring in a given year expire on 31 December. I was told this was because people were forgetting to renew their licenses. I dont know how the Govt.deals with so many licenses at one time.

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 pm

aadhaulya wrote:
PRITAM PATEL wrote:Dear Abhijeet,
regards
Pritam Patel
As per the law if you are staying at an address different from the one where the license has been issued you have to get your license transferred to that LA. Rather, the LA pertaining to your present residence will issue a license to you and cancel the old license.
Then you will get an UIN on that license.
This is my understanding of the Arms Act.

Atul
Sir, Atul,
My official address is ( for Passport n PAN is at Ahmedabad, ) But 20 out of 30 days I am physically in M.P. for business
and never bothered about Area validated in my Lic.

I applied for BL gun (crop protection ) at Gujarat and was happily granted considering my application

regards
pritam
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by joydeepm » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:29 pm

This is my experience in getting UIN in UP .

SMOOTH

Turn up at the greater Noida office . Ask for the place where the UIN is being given . A boy ( early 20's) shall check your licence on the PC and write down the number in your license . 10 minutes . I went on a weekday . No calls , No SMS .
If you want to shoot , shoot . Don't talk .....

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:11 am

Process in Bangalore:

The writer from the local jurisdictional police station calls and asks for the license books to be handed over at the police station after which he takes them and gets the UIN endorsed at the Commissioner's office . After the UIN is endorsed, the license holder gets a call from the jurisdictional police station. He or she can then collect their license books.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this Abhijeet. I am yet to receive the SMS.

I second your opinion on the Delhi Police Licensing Dept's administrative efficiency. For all the grouse that I have with the Licensing Dept, I admire their process effectiveness. It's better than a lot of pvt and govt banks I have visited!!

Cheers,
SS