Noise suppressors legal?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Noise suppressors legal?

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:15 am

As per the new proposed Arms Rules 2015 if I remember correctly, the government planes to limit the stock of weapons held by the dealers for sale. These include blank firing guns and noise suppressors also.
I know that there have been a lot of discussions on these issues. Now I would like to know that in view of the new proposed rules are Blank Firing guns legal. Though I am sure that they are legal without license, but what about the blank firing Ammo. That means owning gun powder and primers without License.
About noise suppressors/ silencers there seems to be no proposal to introduce it under license, only proposal seems to be to limit the stock of the selling dealer.
I view of the above I would like to know if they (noise suppressors) were legal to own, with or without license. Or they do they propose to make it legal.

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Noise suppressors legal?

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:51 am

Noise or flash suppressors are illegal without license. At present they are "firearms" as per Category I d of Schedule I of Arms Rules 1962. So you will have to get license from Central government and also hit your three firearm limit. Pretty unreasonable and draconian. Since they are already under licensing, noise suppressors/ silencers there seems to be no proposal to introduce it under license. Pretty clever and cunning move to increase more restrictions disguised very well.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks GBM, I was hoping that you would see this post soon. That means if one is willing to forego the third weapon there is a possibility of owning noise suppressor. Which means that it can be discussed here freely??
I would also appreciate if you could give your comments on 'Blank Ammo'

Atul

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 am

aadhaulya wrote:That means if one is willing to forego the third weapon there is a possibility of owning noise suppressor. Which means that it can be discussed here freely??
Yes theoretically if one is willing to forego the third weapon there is a possibility of owning noise suppressor. But practically there is zero possibility of getting license from MHA unless you are able to do something unusual to convince MHA.

Of course suppressors can be discussed freely.
aadhaulya wrote:I would also appreciate if you could give your comments on 'Blank Ammo'
For this would request to read Section 2 of Arms Act, especially definition of firearm and ammunition.

As per Section 2 (b) "ammunition" means ammunition for any firearm, and includes............

It means ammunition to be ammunition for purpose of section 2(b), it should be for a "firearm" defined in Section 2(e).

As per Section 2(e) "firearms" means arms of any description designed or adapted to discharge a projectile or projectiles of any kind by the action of any explosive or other forms of energy, and includes..............

Is blank gun a firearm? As per my understanding blank gun is not a firearm since it cannot fire a projectile. So ammunition for blank gun is not ammunition for purpose of Section 2(b). But the same can be ammunition for purpose of Section 2(b) for firearm under Section 2(e) because it would satisfy Section 2(b) iii and iv.

Rule 2(24) of Explosives Rules 2008 says “fireworks” means low hazard explosive comprising of any composition or device manufactured with a view to produce coloured fire or flame, light effect, sound effect, smoke effect (coloured or natural), or combination of such effects and includes fog-signals, fuses, rockets, shells, percussion caps;

Thus blank ammunition can also fall under the definition of fireworks because it is mainly made of percussion cap with view to produce sound and smoke.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Very clear. Thanks