Hollow point. Is it legal to own hollow point bullets?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
CPSTyagi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hollow point. Is it legal to own hollow point bullets?

Post by CPSTyagi » Thu May 14, 2015 1:24 am

Hello again. I acquired hollow point ammunition for my pistol. As I am a first time weapon owner, I would like to know if someone could conclusively point me to the right direction. I tried searching about this on the forum but was unable to find any clear outcome. Also I appreciate any views pertaining to this topic.

Thanks&Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Hollow point. Is it legal to own hollow point bullets?

Post by xl_target » Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 am

I'm don't mean to belittle your question but what gave you the idea that it might be illegal to carry a hollow point?
Did someone say something to you about your hollow point purchase or did you read somewhere that it might be illegal to carry hollow points?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu May 14, 2015 11:42 am

I thought that might be it. Some misguided jurisdictions, in their ignorance, feel there is something evil about hollow points.
The biggest advantage I see with Hollow points is that once they expand, they tend to dump their energy and wont over penetrate.
The hope is that once they enter the target, they have a lesser likelihood of causing collateral damage beyond the target.

As far as I know there is no restriction on hollow point ownership in India.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Rajneesh Aiyer
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rajneesh Aiyer » Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 am

New here and found this informative read when I was looking for answers on hollow points legality in India. Pretty late but thank you for the insight. However, understanding how the courts and laws operate I surmise that while hollow points may be legit here, there always may be an argument made in the courts that the very use of hollow point is an intent to harm the subject / 'victim' more and hence it's wilful assault (even if it was legit selfdefense) cause hollow points tend to stay within the subject and expand thus creating more harm. What I state is hypothetical but a strong possibility. Ofcourse an argument will also be made that it hits the intended subject and intended to reduce collateral damage if any.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 am

It is indeed illegal if you are residing in New Jersey. Follow the rules of the county and state where you live. No such embargo in India though.

Marksman

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue May 17, 2022 1:42 pm

marksman wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 am
It is indeed illegal if you are residing in New Jersey. Follow the rules of the county and state where you live. No such embargo in India though.

Marksman
This is a very thorny subject, and having lived in New Jersey on two separate occasions, I can tell you that:

1. Hollow point bullets are not technically illegal in New Jersey. (You may reference this from the state website: https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/transp ... oint.shtml)

2. Hollow point bullets are practically illegal in New Jersey. Here, we can argue the point, but I'd note that, first of all, New Jersey is an "urban state." In other words, every square inch of New Jersey is incorporated into some municipality, town, or city. Therefore, every square inch of New Jersey is subject to local police forces, who would just love to arrest and harass a citizen over some gun-related issue.

Supposedly, gun registration is not legal, but EVERY New Jersey resident who owns a handgun must register it with the local police. Even state troopers, and officers in the New Jersey State Police have to register their duty handgun with the local police -- I know this of my own personal knowledge! Gun laws are extremely strict in New Jersey!

So, what does this have to do with India?

Well, I would read any and every law concerning hollow point bullets -- and make sure you have read them ALL. The New Jersey example doesn't apply to India, of course, but if you read the link I've posted, you will see that, to sum things up, hollow point bullets may only be used for sporting purposes. When you get before some small town magistrate in New Jersey and try to explain to them that the hollow points in your 9mm pistol are for sporting purposes, know that your argument is probably going to sail like a lead balloon. You won't get a break. The penalties for violations of gun laws are severe, and you aren't the one who determines whether you've violated them!

So, like I said, New Jersey's example does teach that you MUST be SURE that you know the law in India. These matters can get quite technical, and laws over the years can be confusing and contradictory. Also, you must deal with law enforcement who may not know the law themselves, and the process of getting free of an entangling encounter with them may not be pleasant at all.

If you are in New Jersey, forget hollow points, period! (As a note, because I refused to register any handguns with local or any law enforcement, I left my handguns in a safety deposit box out of state. Yes, this meant that they sat in a box for years, almost 9 in total to be exact. That was my choice.)

Maybe someone who is very conversant with the law in India, or the laws in a particular state, will wade in here and give a better direction for researching this for personal application.

I would also note that target wadcutters are considered quite practical for self-defense, though I have no idea if such ammunition is available in 32 S&W. For 32 Auto, you are probably stuck with plain old FMJ. Also, in low velocity calibers like these two (which probably cover the great majority of carry weapons) all hollow points aren't created equal. You have to trade penetration for expansion, and in 32 Auto, at least, the best penetrating loads are at the edge of the acceptable 305 mm lower limit for penetration. Only the newer hollow point bullet designs would be worthy of consideration for other calibers, for my choice, anyway.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu May 19, 2022 6:46 pm

Right on Timmy,
I have a gun nut friend in New Jersey and learned all this from him.They are strict about handguns in particular and wouldn't allow anything but solid ball ammo for them.
Luckily there is no concept of classifying ammo types here in India Even if it was, it would take quite awhile for a lawyer to explain to the judge the difference between Ball ammo and JHP if need arose. What we don't know don't hurt.

Marksman

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri May 20, 2022 11:43 am

marksman wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:46 pm
Right on Timmy,
I have a gun nut friend in New Jersey and learned all this from him.They are strict about handguns in particular and wouldn't allow anything but solid ball ammo for them.
Luckily there is no concept of classifying ammo types here in India Even if it was, it would take quite awhile for a lawyer to explain to the judge the difference between Ball ammo and JHP if need arose. What we don't know don't hurt.

Marksman
Unfortunately law makers and law enforcement both often are not conversant with the firearm-related subjects of their legislation and enforcement efforts.

They pass laws that are often nothing more than patches without any thinking or expertise applied to what they think they want to do.

The citizen is then the one who is tied up in the tangles of these ill-considered measures, administered by those who often don't understand what they are about and hostile to the gun owner.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman