Do airguns need a license?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: how to buy Airguns in India / procedure to import

Post by bennedose » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Karthik Natarajan wrote:hii people , am looking for getting an Airgun. this is because i love guns. For getting riffle club membership it costs around 1.5 lakhs in Tamil Nadu.i cant afford this fat pay for a membership. Can anyone suggest how to get an Airgun without rifle club membership or could u please say me the procedure how to import. http://www.pyramydair.com ships Guns to India. but how will it come beyond the customs? will they ask for a license/membership? please suggest me a better way
Boss. Just go to any gun shop in Chennai (use Google uncle). Take Rs 6500 with you. Ask for IHP 25 or 35. Pay up. Buy pellets and go home. No need to order online. If you have Rs 10,000 plus. Buy one of the Precihole models. No need for licence or club membership. I presume you are over 18 years of age.

For Advertising mail webmaster
arajpathak
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Do airguns need a license?

Post by arajpathak » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 am

Rottmeister wrote:Then what about the co2 powered S&W or the Beretta copies? Do they need a license? If not, then can a person import them through courier?
Actually License is only for show in this case. If custom officer wants to detain the same then nothing works with them. And in case of Gas Powered Guns they don't even bother to open your Parcel and see what it can fire. As these guns exactly looks like a real firearm, they don't take any risk. And we can't blame them as they are doing their duty only for safety purposes only.

Terminator-X
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Terminator-X » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:31 pm

I'm getting a .25 cal Benjamin Marauder pcp rifle through an arms dealer. Is it legal to own one?

airguns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by airguns » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:52 am

Technically no, it will fail the deal wood test, you might get away with owning one because authorities don't care much about Air-rifle power, to persecute!

rmmathew
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rmmathew » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi gentlemen
I am new here. Just wondering if I need a Rifle club membership to order an imported air rifle (Diana RWS 460 Magnum) from a company/Agent in India. is it reliable to do so? please let me know your valuable suggestions on this matter.
by the way I am an Indian citizen of 50+ (ex warrant officer NCC Air Wing)
Roy

Ultimate Sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ultimate Sniper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:35 pm

You would need rifle club membership to get imported air rifles (only .177) via dealers/ agents like Relish Sport, etc.
There are many people here who have purchased from there and they have given all positive feedback about them so they seem to be reliable.
If you dont want to get a club membership, then you will have to get the rifle from an arms dealer who will take you for a ride.

Hope this helps.

-Arvind S.

vishnu_r
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vishnu_r » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Do the customs actually do the deal wood test for all air rifles / pistols that pass through? I find that hard to believe that they would go through that procedure every time. I wonder how relish sports is getting around this as there are some pretty powerful air rifles they are offering to import for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:11 pm

vishnu_r wrote:Do the customs actually do the deal wood test for all air rifles / pistols that pass through? I find that hard to believe that they would go through that procedure every time. I wonder how relish sports is getting around this as there are some pretty powerful air rifles they are offering to import for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All these on line portals import only .177 airguns for rifle club members. And a .177 airgun doesn't need a deal wood test. That is my understanding from the various posts on this forum.

Atul

Trajeev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Trajeev » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm

The scene is pretty bad now.The customs (at least at Bengaluru) ask for a Police certificate stating that it is an Air Rifle of .177 cal (if it is not embossed on the gun), and does not require licence AND obtain Deal wood test certificate from the Forensic lab. This is what Mr.Zafar of Relish Sports told me.
Rajeev

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 am

Trajeev wrote:The scene is pretty bad now.The customs (at least at Bengaluru) ask for a Police certificate stating that it is an Air Rifle of .177 cal (if it is not embossed on the gun), and does not require licence AND obtain Deal wood test certificate from the Forensic lab. This is what Mr.Zafar of Relish Sports told me.
Rajeev
Rajeev,

Does it mean that if .177 is embossed on the rifle, then all these formalities are not required..
And according to Mr. Zafar is this problem only with Bengaluru customs.

Atul

krishh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by krishh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:40 pm

i think the whole discussion has to change its flow after the arms rule 2016.i am from West bengal and was a proud owner of a .22 air rifle,but today i visited the local gunstore to no the status of my gun... according to them it will be consider a firearm requiring license after February. i also asked him whether he would buy my gun in exchange of a .171 but he refused. he suggested that after march i should apply for a licence ,which according to him will be easier to obtain for a air rifle. But i am confused because i am nither in grave danger nor a sports person.
So please anyone help me by suggesting how can i retain possession of my gun and if it is not possible will police seize my gun without any compensation??